Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

huge problem with gsr motor in my civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default huge problem with gsr motor in my civic

ok so heres the deal yesterday i recieved my new aebs manifold so i decided to go out and install it, soi disconnected everything, installed the new one and plugged all the hoses in right. a few days ago i made a post saying that my car would bog out HARD reaching about 3k and then it would resume so i got new spark plugs today. so today i finish installing themanifold plugged up the rest of the hoses and senors and went to try to start it up and it wouldn't AT ALL so decided ok imma put in thenew spark plugs took out the old ones 1&4 were full of oil and a little bit of antifreeze and 2&3 were pretty bad but not AS bad. then i tried to start up the car again and it turned on very very hard like i had to give it alot of gas for the rpms to climb up so it wouldn't die, and my exhaust started to blow a ridiculous amount of white smoke so now i think my headgasket is blown.

would this cause my car to act like this? if i get a new headgasket would my car start up fine and drive? i really need my car running its my only car and i need to get to school

sorry if my post is hard to read but i'm trying as i'm thinkin and i'm very frustrated any help is apprciated

also i'm throwing NO CODES

and the head

i noticed this scrape in my head does this matter?

Modified by dthug at 10:04 PM 10/21/2006

Modified by dthug at 10:05 PM 10/21/2006
Old 10-13-2006, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: huge problem with gsr motor in my civic (dthug)

bad bad bad boy... you hooked a vacuum line and a coolant line up backwards.... i just replaced a GSR block because of this for a friend.

you most likely cracked a sleeve. if youre lucky youve gotta bad HG.

dont turn it over anymore!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: huge problem with gsr motor in my civic (slambedcivic)

ahh dude that sucks i have a gsr too. hope that neva happens to me. but u can crack a sleeve by mixing them two lines up
Old 10-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: huge problem with gsr motor in my civic (97civicB18C)

are you serious!?!?!?!?!

what lines couldi have hooked up bad? there like 2 that i know of thats a coolant line one by the passenger side near the vtec solanoid ( which in the aebs one it brings 2 so i plugged one of them up) and the other one is behind the mani for the heater core is there another coolant line that i missed? omg can someone help me or give me more opinions i dont know if i should order a new headgasket or what
Old 10-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i did have a coolant line hooked up to a vacuum i took it off and blocked off that vacuum and coolant line and the car started up perfectly except i still blow aot of smoke out my exhuast pipe so i do need a new head gasket. vtec still cracks and car drives fine but im not going to take it out anymore until i get a new gasket
Old 10-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope that all is well with the block and its not cracked! up for you. let me know what happens
Old 10-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the headgasket ASAP. Though watch your temp and check your oil periodically. You'll be lucky if you didn't crack the block or something of the sort. Also, try to take it easy until you're sure it's not burning anymroe oil or coolant (after you replace the headgasket)...if there is a problem after you replace the HG..you don't wanna amplify it by beating on it..
Old 10-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i drove my car just once after i took off that coolant line and it drve great, it feeels so much better with thenewmanifold but i was blowing out white smoke like crazy so i parked it and im not going to move it till i get a new headgasket. i dont think anything is wrong otehr then a headgasket being that it drove just fine, but i'm just trying to be optimistic about things
Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dthug)

ok i need help diagnosing this problem before i pull the head offsso i know what i need before i do anything. my car starts up FINE my idle is a little irratic but it could be becuase i have low coolant and my gasket for my TB is bad, that much i know. when i drive my car blackish smoke comes out so i parked my car right away. i checked my oil and its milky-like. me andmy friends are going to pull the head off, now what i'm hoping for is that its just a bad headgasket maybe even my piston rings got messed up becuase of the cooland mix. but worse case senerio i could have a cracked sleeve, but if that was the case wouldn't i loose compression and y car run like ****? when i drove the car it still pulled hard and vtec still cracked and pulled.

i just want to know what i'm looking at before i pull the head and what i should bring so i can fix everything asap?

any help is greatly appriciated
Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you wont really know until you take teh head off. you probably wont be able to see a cracked sleeve unless its completely blown up. if you put the NEW headgasket on, and it still does the same thing, youll know its a sleeve.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slambedcivic)

^ I agree.

You won't know until the head comes off. It could be a headgasket or a cylinder issue.

I vote the latter.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t0p_sh0tta)

but if it really is a cracked sleeve wouldn't i notice a feel in performance. my car drives FASTER then it did before i put the new manifold in. i dunno maybe i'm just really trying to be optimistic about things cuz i dont wanna loose my motor
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for some help, also i forgot to mention i'm throwing a o2 sensor code could that be the reason for the black smoke? cant i just change my oil completly and fix my o2 senso and y car be fine, or is it def. either a head gasket or cracked sleeve
Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dthug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bump for some help, also i forgot to mention i'm throwing a o2 sensor code could that be the reason for the black smoke? cant i just change my oil completly and fix my o2 senso and y car be fine, or is it def. either a head gasket or cracked sleeve</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO! Oil and Coolant will mix with a bad head gasket, that is why you saw white smoke and black smoke. If you are really concerned about this motor you better change the head gasket before you try driving it again. Maybe your head gasket isnt too messed up, but do you wanna chance blowing your motor?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: huge problem with gsr motor in my civic (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope that all is well with the block and its not cracked! up for you. let me know what happens</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2
Old 10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dthug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but if it really is a cracked sleeve wouldn't i notice a feel in performance. my car drives FASTER then it did before i put the new manifold in. i dunno maybe i'm just really trying to be optimistic about things cuz i dont wanna loose my motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

you are feeling a bigger hp gain because there is water/coolant in your combustion chamber. water CANT NOT be compressed, therefore it is raising your compression. yout O2 sensor code is because the coolant that is burning and and the coolant that isnt burning is soaking your sensor and yielding false readings. when this happens, your computer tells you injectors to basically go into a safe mode and add fuel at a standard rate, regardless of O2 readings. when it DUMPS fuel, you burn it off, thats when you get the black smoke. please, just stop driving the car, and replace the head gasket.

let me know what happens
Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM

you know that coolant will eat your main bearings for breakfast? EG (ethylene glycol) is not bearing friendly at all. Changing the oil NOW will help prevent any further damage, but will not fix damaged bearings.

In addition to a new head gasket, you should do a teardown on the bottom end to make sure the main bearings and rod bearings are not scored...

After all is fixed, make sure you get some used oil analysis done to make sure there is no further coolant in your oil.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chrisw85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisw85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know that coolant will eat your main bearings for breakfast? EG (ethylene glycol) is not bearing friendly at all. Changing the oil NOW will help prevent any further damage, but will not fix damaged bearings.

In addition to a new head gasket, you should do a teardown on the bottom end to make sure the main bearings and rod bearings are not scored...

After all is fixed, make sure you get some used oil analysis done to make sure there is no further coolant in your oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good lord, thats extensive.... good call though
Old 10-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks so much for allll your help i really really appriciate it

i'm def. going to change my headgasket soon my car is not moving
Old 10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can I just mention how much I hate the phrase "VTEC cracked" or "I cracked VTEC"?

And Goddamn...putting a coolant line onto a vacuum bung. You're lucky you escaped with a functioning motor
Old 10-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can I just mention how much I hate the phrase "VTEC cracked" or "I cracked VTEC"?

And Goddamn...putting a coolant line onto a vacuum bung. You're lucky you escaped with a functioning motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, cant say that ive EVER heard that. and yes, he is hella lucky. as i stated earlier. a buddy of mine out a victor x intake Mani on his GSR, and he did the same thing, only be split a sleeve right in half... poor him. he never worked on the car again, lol
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can I just mention how much I hate the phrase "VTEC cracked" or "I cracked VTEC"?

And Goddamn...putting a coolant line onto a vacuum bung. You're lucky you escaped with a functioning motor </TD></TR></TABLE>

as long as you know what i mean, everyone talks differently. and it was one of those small coolant lines so i really dont think i cracked a sleeve, and damn i never realized how much head gaskets cost is fel-pro a good brand? cuz it looks like oem would hurt my pockets becuase i need to do 2 oil changes. i want to drain all the white one out, remove my VC and pour fresh oil over all the rocker arms and what not, then fire it up for a bit let the oil flow thru then drain that oil and put fresher oil again.

let me know what you guys think.

i get paid tomorrow so i'm going head gasket hunting, also should i just change my timing belt and water pump now? like i said before moneys tight as hell and my motor only has 40k on it
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dthug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> also should i just change my timing belt and water pump now? like i said before moneys tight as hell and my motor only has 40k on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah i'd save it for the replacing the sleeves you cracked. when i cracked the sleeves on my b20vtec it did the same thing. i hope it is just your head gasket...but it sounds the same as my b20. i didnt notice hp lose until i extensively cracked three sleeves. and even then it was barely even noticable. the only thing that let me know i was fucked was the cloud of smoke when i drove it. (lol...which i noticed)

good luck. i personally dont see why you would change your timing belt and water pump....but i could be wrong.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pr0ject93hb)

should i not even get a headgasket then? i guess i'll use that money and buy a new block.

should i get a b20 block or a ls, can i swap any of my internals over to a new block? i really need a car asap and i get paid tomorrow so i'll go to the junkyard just let me know
Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does your car run with little to no weird noises?

Quick Reply: huge problem with gsr motor in my civic