Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how is your CRVTEC holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how is your CRVTEC holding up?

i just want to know what have you done to it, how long youve had it, how is it holding up,and your personal pros and cons? i dont need any negative feedback about reliablity and that sort of crap. this post may make up my mind hopefully. thanx to all the participants

[Modified by TrAnCeD_RaCeR, 6:28 AM 10/4/2002]
Old 10-03-2002, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (TrAnCeD_RaCeR)

25,000 miles on stock bottomend & b16a head revving to 8000 rpms.

BTW... 1000 of these miles are pure, ungodly, horrible race miles.

Pete
Old 10-03-2002, 10:02 PM

I'm not trying to be negative because I loved the B20VTEC but this is my opinion. Just don't get too carried away if you're going to build it. But when done correctly and with the right parts it will run with the best of them. Just don't miss-shift
Motor before the blow:
B20B block, B16 head, bored 85mm, resleeved with Golden Eagle Godzilla sleeves, JE pistons and rings, knifed edge and micro polished crank, CTR cams, AEM cam gears, DC headers, AEM Fuel setup, GSR tranny, ACT clutch, all balanced and blue printed, AEM CAI, Nology wires, PWR radiator
Old 10-03-2002, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man..ur so lucky ur in cali dude. plenty of people can build them the correct way where ur at.

We have sum people doing it here...but its not that great.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:35 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (krazn)

You should tell your people to order them online. Jeff has a package available where he builds your motor, breaks it in, and dyno tunes it. Once the motor arrives at your swap just install it and drive away with a smile.

http://www.importbuilders.com Jeff
Old 10-04-2002, 11:33 AM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (Maximus)

15,500 miles I like I like I LIKE ALOT
set up:
jdm b20b
Ross 11.5 piston
new gsr water & oil pump
new timming belt
new barrings
balance blue print
B16 head * stock *
skunk 2 cam gears
rev up to 8000rpm
with clutchmaster

Old 10-04-2002, 12:27 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (hwnstyle21)

Your car is hott!!!!
Old 10-04-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (JDM88EF9)

I've had mine for about a year now. It's a stock JDM b20b with a gsr head. The car runs perfect even though I threw the motor together in a day. I hand tapped the oil channel in the head and plugged it. I didn't use the dowels to line the head up at all either. It runs strong and it made 176 hp at the wheels. I would have loved to throw some 12.5:1 pistons in there, guarenteed 200 at the wheels. Just didn't have the time.
Old 10-04-2002, 03:36 PM
Ham'ed Hatch

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (JDM88EF9)

the B20 i had was running strong (still is) for over a year. unsure of how many miles. i revved the snot out of that thing, and never had a single problem. thing had a rock steady idle even after being pushed almost too far. stock bottom end and stock head. SmokinSax has it on this board now...
Old 10-04-2002, 11:57 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (two.oh)

thanx you guys!so depending on what VTEC head i get (b16a,b18c1) i would need all the wiring,ecu etc. for the head and not the block right?which head should i go with? i'll probably end up going with the first one i find i think im gonna love crvtec in my little rex....
Old 10-05-2002, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a friend and I just put this in his car running strong so far
Old 10-05-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (infamousRRH)

a friend and I just put this in his car running strong so far
hehe...its only 3 days old though...

Boy, my motor sure is pretty.
Old 10-06-2002, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up?

Hey guys, I normally hand out in the EG forum. i dropped a sir2 in my 95 civic, and already i feel the need for more power. i know the b16 is the "torqueless wonder" regarless how much u rev the hell out of it. but im starting to think that ive should of saved for a gsr. anyway, can some of u with the crvtec set up tell me their performance info. im interested in knowing, for i might go with the b20 block and keep my head. tia.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (sirminder)

80k on JDM B20b and more than 100k on the JDM b16 sir head. I rev up to 7500 and mis shift time to time and it's running strong. It's completely stock engine wise. I have a RS Akimoto Intake, DC 4-2-1 ceramic headers - cracked and dented, ls tranny. Here's my dyno:

Jay Kim
Old 10-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not trying to be negative because I loved the B20VTEC but this is my opinion. Just don't get too carried away if you're going to build it. But when done correctly and with the right parts it will run with the best of them. Just don't miss-shift
Motor before the blow:
B20B block, B16 head, bored 85mm, resleeved with Golden Eagle Godzilla sleeves, JE pistons and rings, knifed edge and micro polished crank, CTR cams, AEM cam gears, DC headers, AEM Fuel setup, GSR tranny, ACT clutch, all balanced and blue printed, AEM CAI, Nology wires, PWR radiator
you had all that and still blew your motor? btw, in wat way did u blow your motor? in head or block? shouldn't the godzilla sleeves hold up to watever crap u give it?
Old 10-06-2002, 08:39 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (MugenGTR)

even with good selevee a mishift is usually will blow the head. IN his case he probaby missed downshift and hit really high rpm which his head couldn't handle and probaby blew the complete valve train and damaged the head.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:17 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (MugenGTR)

you had all that and still blew your motor? btw, in wat way did u blow your motor? in head or block? shouldn't the godzilla sleeves hold up to watever crap u give it?
Dude the Godzilla sleeves when tested upheld a crap load of boost so I'm not knocking the sleeves. This was the outcome of one misshift. Bent valves, piston rings fried, 1 piston hit the head and ended w/ a little scratch, 2 scratched walls. The main problem I had was driving during the day the motor would heat up too much. But at night the motor was totally stable. We figuted that during the day and the Kali heat the walls were too thin due to the bore out.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:15 PM

umm I doubt that could be the reason. I heard people boring out b18c to 84mm 2.0liter, and never incounter over heating problems at all. Of crouse they have reinforce sleeve added. Damn one crack piston bent valves im guessing you misshift and hit like 10,000+rpm. Ouch that really must hurt. sorry to hear that!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:13 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (SiBirdie)

itz all good cuz out goes the B20 and in goes a JDM H22. This time I'll just leave the internals alone. Should have Turbo and Nos by December.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (SiBirdie)

hwnstyle21 and SiBirdie :- I notice that you guy posted your mods and didn't include any rods ..... are you guys running stock rods ?

I and doing this crvtec build up at the moment and would like to know if you guys use stock rods with aftermarket pistons ... because i got a deal from a friend that i couldn't pass up ( 12.0 CR pistons "JE" ) and i would like to run them with the stock rods cuz i don't have the funds as yet to get the Aftermarket rods .

so can you guys IM me or email me ( sir_vtec@caribsurf.com ) and explain to me how you got you aftermarket pistons to work with Stock rods ( if you did ).

Thnaks

Old 10-07-2002, 07:21 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (eg6madness)

The JE pistons I was running were 11.1. And the rods were stock but they were shot peened. If anything try looking on B20VTEC.com the site has some really good info on the swap.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

8k on mine. Rev to 7800 with no problems. Stock bottom, b18 head with P&P, valve job, titanium retainers and lifters, cam gears, and a few other things(check my sig.). I love it. I love it so much I decided to keep the car that it's in. Getting ready to drop some cams in it and once I've saved the money I'm going to the bottom. The only draw back I can think of is the external oil line for the Vtec. Has anyone out there had the oil lines drilled in there b20 to aleiviate the external line? I've asked around and I am sure it can be done, just have to find the person with the skills.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (Wraith)

The only draw back I can think of is the external oil line for the Vtec. Has anyone out there had the oil lines drilled in there b20 to aleiviate the external line
all you would have to do is drill a hole into the block directly underneath the oil hole in the VTEC head.

this would only work on the B18/B20 block if there was an oil gallery feed directly from the oil pump output right underneath the heads VTEC oil hole (which there isnt...)

t..

Old 10-07-2002, 10:29 PM

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (tinkerbell)

How many people are running z10 or gsr block girdles in their b20/vtec? I was wondering how people are doing without them since I decided not to install it into my motor.
Old 10-08-2002, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how is your CRVTEC holding up? (Maximus)

How many people are running z10 or gsr block girdles in their b20/vtec? I was wondering how people are doing without them since I decided not to install it into my motor.
how much boost are you running?

t..

Quick Reply: how is your CRVTEC holding up?