Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps?

i just want to know if you guys with the jdm engines have/had any problems with your motors. because i'm a little doubtful about buying a jdm engine for all that money and having it burn oil, etc. after a couple month's of having it.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (star&buc)

anyone?
Old 10-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (star&buc)

jdm motors are a tad better quality than usdm engines
Old 10-20-2002, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (sleeprhatch)

^ not really. Most people think the opposite.

This is what I think from what I've read:

In Japan, you have to get your engine replaced at 30,000 miles or kilometers (whatever it is) because of strict emissions regulations. Knowing that they will have a brand new engine, most of the drivers will beat the crap out of them before changing over to a new one. JDM engines usually sit outside for long periods of time before someone buys them as well. Also, in Japan, they run 97 octane in these engines. When you drive that engine in America, you will more than likely be using 92.

A usdm engine is cleaner, runs cleaner, and is usually better maintained. (from what I've heard). The engine harness is also more usefull since it is from a left hand drive car.

My JDM engine I have runs absolutely perfect. It may be because it's so new though.

Old 10-20-2002, 06:21 PM

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Nameless)

As for burning oil... I don't understand how a JDM honda engine would burn any more oil than a USDM engine. My engine has burned zero oil.

I've gathered that most people who run synthetic 5w30 tend to burn more oil than a non synthetic 10w30... maybe it just depends upon engine condition and driving style.
Old 10-20-2002, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Nameless)

well if i get my jdm itr i would be able to run 94 octane. which should be good enough, but if i can find a usdm itr i would definitely get it, only if it's a good price.

thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Japan has a different octane scale than the US

JDM 97 < USDM 97
Old 10-21-2002, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (GetawayinMoscow)

Get whatever is cheapest.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:03 AM

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Apex i ITR)

It would seem to me that if buying a USDM engine you could have the ability to see the actual car that it came out of and verify the milage. The condition of the car could also give a hint as to how the engine was maintained. Heck, you could make it a condition of purchase that you hear the engine run.

Wes
Old 10-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Wes V)

In most cases that won't happen. You'd have to stake out the engine place 9Half of them just get the motor and don't get the wrecked vehicle).

Like i said before get what you can for the best price. I like the JDM motors (Which I had), now I have a 01 ITR head and block in my car and if feels just as good.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Apex i ITR)

Most JDM motor sellers give at least startup warranty . Thats all you really need.
Old 10-21-2002, 08:38 PM

i love my jdm b16, works great, never had a problem, going on 7 months.

plus, its JDM!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what happened to your jdm motor?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:51 PM

start up warranties are great... too bad they don't do anything about these...

Old 10-21-2002, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Ruckus138)

what is that? ewww
Old 10-21-2002, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (Ruckus138)

Yeah, really, what IS that? I'm confused

As far as reliability goes, I've had no real problems with my car, besides the fact that it idles like crap and always tries to die on me (I've got to figure out what's wrong, seriously; it's very annoying). It had a bad headgasket from the start that I recently replaced, and that's about it. Oh, and the O2 sensor is dying.

I also fried my clutch once, but that's to be expected . Oh, and all this is on over a year of drag racing now... and still going strong.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (raene)

I prefer USDM motors over JDM motors myself. The US motors are more easily traceable for mileage and theft and they are all around easier to work with. I have done 3 swaps in my cars they all have been US motors. I am in the process of installing a JDM B16A into my friend's 96 CX hatch. It looks to be clean, but I hate the chopped harness, hoses, header B pipe, shift linkage, etc. I guess it's "too hard" to remove that stuff without taking a torch to it
Old 10-22-2002, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (VTECVillain)

where did he get his motor from?
Old 10-22-2002, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have had 2 JDM spec motors in past 4 years. (except for the current one, domestic rebuild B18C1 block with a JDM SIR'2 head) Not once ever had a problem with the JDM motors and put down appro. 90,000 miles each since the first day I recieved them.
Most JDM engine importer buy the junkyard/wreck/repo cars with crappy engines.
Usually they don't come from Japen either, sometimes from the Phillipinees or somewhere in Asia.

Don't know, but from experiences and many others, I ought for a JDM motor any day than a US spec motor.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where did he get his motor from?
He got the motor from Honda Motors Online. It was supposed to be a second gen B16A and what he really got was a B16A from a 92 Integra XSi. It is the rare grey plug second production of the first gen B16A It had an automatic tranny, even had the flex plate still bolted on so the cams suck,
Old 01-06-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ not really. Most people think the opposite.

This is what I think from what I've read:

In Japan, you have to get your engine replaced at 30,000 miles or kilometers (whatever it is) because of strict emissions regulations. Knowing that they will have a brand new engine, most of the drivers will smote the crap out of them before changing over to a new one. JDM engines usually sit outside for long periods of time before someone buys them as well. Also, in Japan, they run 97 octane in these engines. When you drive that engine in America, you will more than likely be using 92.

A usdm engine is cleaner, runs cleaner, and is usually better maintained. (from what I've heard). The engine harness is also more usefull since it is from a left hand drive car.

My JDM engine I have runs absolutely perfect. It may be because it's so new though.
I've also read that before that tehy rarely change the oil and fluids if they even do at all. I was considering a JDM motor, but I think I'll go US and wait for IAS to get a lower mileage GSR in
Old 01-06-2003, 10:18 AM

Default Re: how reliable are the jdm engine swaps compared to the usdm engine swaps? (VTECVillain)

I've heard a lot of people say the usdm are better then the jdm because of all the reasons listed above.I've heard the story about replacing the engine after 30k miles,also heard they replace them early because they get a hefty fine if they fail so it's cheaper to buy a new engine,heard them all, not sure whats true i have my thoughts about them all.
The one thing i know and that is my engine needed rebuilt.
Cylinder 1 had a groove down the back of it (2'' long) and too deep to bore out so had to resleve it, ring lands on pistons 1 and 3 were broken so i needed new pistons and the head had a nick in it (from whatever caused the grove in cylinder 1)....
the company i bought the engine from fucked me over so i had to pay for it all .......i'm not blaming it on the jdm engine because it could have happend to any engine
Old 01-06-2003, 05:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i woudlnt buy JDM just because they get deposits on the engines from salt and 90% of the motors look like ****. unless it came from michigan or somewhere that lays down lots of salt during winter u wont see a USDM engine have salt deposits on them. i could care less if the engine runs like a raped ape, if it looks like ****, it prolly is ****.