Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much did u guys pay to install your swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much did u guys pay to install your swap?

Did you swap the engine and tranny yourself or pay someone? If you paid someone to do it, how much was it? I bought a sir II complete swap and would like to know what would be a good price for the installation. Thank you for your time
Old 04-20-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (elduro numba1)

Let's see, my dad already has a cherry picker and we each have our own tools. But I spent about $60 for the engine tilt and about $40 for the engine stand.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (MDJ IKNJ)

i'm doing the swap myself all alone without having any previous mechanic training, it has been the hardest project i've ever undertaken, but BY FAR the most satisfying feeling, knowing i'm doing this crap myself.

I've learned so much and now if something goes wrong in the future odds are i'll be able to fix it myself
Old 04-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I paid a buddy to do mine only because I work full time and @ that time I needed it done asap... I paid him $250.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (NineTwoSi)

Did my swap myself with no engine swapping experience. It went well but it took a little over a week of working on and off. Definitely worth doing yourself if you've done the right research.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:59 PM

A local shop charges about 500... Depending on application.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:04 PM

Were doing mine at my brother's service shop at the dealership he works at. He has to have a ticket on it so I'm having to pay him for supplies like the rad hoses and gaskets and other little stuff purchased, which adds up to about $100.
I've been told by performance shops different prices but the average ranged from $500-$800. Keep in mind that things may arise from the swap and parts may need replaced so its always good to have a few extra hundred just in case. I would suggest having approx. $1000 set aside if your using a shop just in case. If you can do it yourself its not that hard, of course we have access to a hydrolic lift which makes things ten times easier.

Anyways, good luck. Before you settle with a shop, shop around for pricing.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:05 PM

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (grlracer97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by grlracer97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Were doing mine at my brother's service shop at the dealership he works at. He has to have a ticket on it so I'm having to pay him for supplies like the rad hoses and gaskets and other little stuff purchased, which adds up to about $100.
I've been told by performance shops different prices but the average ranged from $500-$800. Keep in mind that things may arise from the swap and parts may need replaced so its always good to have a few extra hundred just in case. I would suggest having approx. $1000 set aside if your using a shop just in case. If you can do it yourself its not that hard, of course we have access to a hydrolic lift which makes things ten times easier.

Anyways, good luck. Before you settle with a shop, shop around for pricing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn.... This chick always knows what she's talkin bout...
Old 04-20-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (mp5o)

i did mine with some friends in my driveway jacked the front of the car up really high and slid the motor under on a palet jack, and yeah a lot of little expenses come up mine added up to like 600 including hasport mounts which i would suggest
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (Rhythm Racer)

I did mine myself with no engine swapping experience and it took me 3 days since I started it to get it running perfect.

I bought a cherry picker, engine tilt and then returned it when I was done.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i paid 500
Old 04-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Re: (lifendet)

I paid about 700 cause I didnt know **** about swapping a motor and had one of the well known mechanic do it. You get what you pay for....
Old 04-21-2005, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (ocjdmek)

A local shop around here charges $700. Used to be able to do everything in 2-3 days but now it would probably just sit there for a month or more. I'm just doing it myself.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:13 AM

$60 for a chery picker.. Did my first swap in a friday night. Easy stuff..
Old 04-21-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn.... This chick always knows what she's talkin bout... </TD></TR></TABLE>

She really does. Anyways, I'm guessing you have a friend who can help with this, or at least know someone who can. If you need to, pay someone $100 to come out and help. I wouldn't pay a shop, because if you don't know how the motor is installed, wired, etc then you won't know how to fix it when you have a problem. Also, you will enjoy driving your car 10x more when you have the satisfaction of doing the work yourself. And I would have more than $100 ready for misc. things for the swap. The little **** adds up quick.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (IHateJDM)

From having motors installed to working at shops that install motors. A good shop thats going to swap it and do all maintence stuff,timing belt,water pump,ect. and do the harness correctly (if modification needed) I'd say atleast 800 and 1000 max
Old 04-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:05 PM

local mechanic here charges $600. guaranteed to look original though...
Old 04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (Diverse[714])

I've seen prices as high as 1000 dollars for labor but labor is free when you do it yourself. I did my DOHC ZC swap back in February and had ablast doing it dropped the engine in and had it running in about 12 hours of work mostly myself but had a buddy of mine help out with the big stuff when it came to pulling the new engine and dropping the new one in.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:43 PM

i paid about 2600 for a full jdm b16a swap in my 95 ex
Old 04-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (VTECaddictB16A)

it costed me a large pizza from pizzahut, 6 sodas, and four of my homies in my driveway on a sunay(week b4 IDRC in palmdale this past weekend). We put the head on, tranny, and harness all in a matter of 6 hours. plus i put the hoist together that morning.

Do it yourself, you will learn a lot and save a lot of money. Just set aside some time each day and get it done. Good Luck!!
Old 04-21-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: how much did u guys pay to install your swap? (f@sth@tch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f@sth@tch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it costed me a large pizza from pizzahut, 6 sodas, and four of my homies in my driveway on a sunay(week b4 IDRC in palmdale this past weekend). We put the head on, tranny, and harness all in a matter of 6 hours. plus i put the hoist together that morning.

Do it yourself, you will learn a lot and save a lot of money. Just set aside some time each day and get it done. Good Luck!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a great price and good advice

I would expect a GREAT shop to charge around $1000 and they WILL make sure you have all the right parts and have parts on hand so your car isn't sitting there if this JDM crap doesnt work.
(old alternators and dizzys that have been cross-continents often have problems)

Any shop that sucks *** you will know because they'll say "yeah we can do it, just bring it in" Professionals don't pile customer cars up outside their shop.
If a shop has 20 cars around it that have been there a month, don't use them.
If they don't charge you money up front (50%), don't trust that they do good work, or insist on paying them at least half up front, it motivates them more. And if they're pretty cool guys, bring them pizza and a 12 pack, they'll cut your price in the end and like you, when they like you, they're motivated to hook you up with the best work they can do.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recommend doing it yourself. Like many of the previous posts stated, you'll get alot more satisfaction in driving it when you know you did it yourself. You'll learn alot of crap along the way too. But before you even start working on it, I would HIGHLY recommend you do one thing...BUY A HELMS MANUAL! In my opinion, that is a must have for engine swapping if you're a beginner. It is like having a road map before going on a road trip. You will probably want to get a torque wrench too. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (som3on3_10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by som3on3_10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would recommend doing it yourself. Like many of the previous posts stated, you'll get alot more satisfaction in driving it when you know you did it yourself. You'll learn alot of crap along the way too. But before you even start working on it, I would HIGHLY recommend you do one thing...BUY A HELMS MANUAL! In my opinion, that is a must have for engine swapping if you're a beginner. It is like having a road map before going on a road trip. You will probably want to get a torque wrench too. Good luck and have fun!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutly... If you have the tools and a helms manual... Just take your time. And READ/RESEARCH... I rushed my minime and fucked up.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mp5o &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn.... This chick always knows what she's talkin bout... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for that guys! I've learned alot from brother/dad (both service advisors that started way at the bottom), internet/books, and y'all on here.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by som3on3_10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would HIGHLY recommend you do one thing...BUY A HELMS MANUAL! </TD></TR></TABLE>

God knows this is the truth. We are learning from a lot of trial and error when it comes to the wiring and this book helps HUGELY. Hopefully, she'll be up and running this weekend since we finally got all the parts from the dealer.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: how much did u guys pay to install your swap?