Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap?

Im going to be using the HCP mounts and was woundering if there is alot of cutting and/or welding involved in a h22 swap going into a eg. I'm having a tough time deciding if i should go with a jdm b18c or h22. This will be my daily driven car so i don't want to much problems. Right know im leaning more towards the b18c only because its a nice clean swap but i also want something with a little more hp/tq to start out with thats why im not giving up on the h22.

Also have any of u removed your balance shafts because im planing on removing mine before the swap. Is there alot of vibration or anything?
Old 06-22-2003, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (SpdFrk)

For the HCP, you have to cut part of the transmission mount bracket (~ 1/2") and for both mount kits you have to cut a 2x3 hole for the shift cables and cut the housing out the shift tunnel

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpdFrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also have any of u removed your balance shafts because im planing on removing mine before the swap. Is there alot of vibration or anything?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what i heard no, But i have never done it
Old 06-22-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been talked before bro....

I removed the balance shafts just barely and waiting on a water pump/h23 tensionor. But I'll be sure to definitely write a review.

As for cutting, barely any to cut. But any type of cutting usually scares people off.

Here is a picture of what to cut when you mount the shift linkage:

As for cutting of the HCP mounts, you need to trim just a little bit. You will want to talk with some of the HCP boys on this swap, as I'm sure they have a picture of it to explain better.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But I'll be sure to definitely write a review.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You better

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for cutting of the HCP mounts, you need to trim just a little bit. You will want to talk with some of the HCP boys on this swap, as I'm sure they have a picture of it to explain better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here:

This guy had to trim more because it was grinding in 5th and reverse
Old 06-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (turbogixxer)

Thanks for the info and pics guys

So just a little need to trimed off the tranission bracket and 2 holes inside the cockpit for the shift linkage.

With this cutting will i be able to switch to a b-series down the road? Lets say i go h22 and then something happens will i be able to do a b-series swap or will i have to stick with a h22?
Old 06-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

looks to me like you cut off the rear tranny mount stock hole... ie no going back w/o cutting the whole thing off and welding on a new one.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (NonovUrbizniz)

What about the hasport kit? Would i still need to cut the transimission mount bracket?
Old 06-22-2003, 07:20 PM

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">looks to me like you cut off the rear tranny mount stock hole... ie no going back w/o cutting the whole thing off and welding on a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is by far not true.

And yes you can go back to a B series/D series with even using the HASport kit.

With the HASport, you have to cut off the whole tranny mount. But is possible to spot weld easily back on.

I have reversed the HASport mount kit before in my Coupe and put the D15Z1 that came with my VX into the Coupe. I just wish I would have taken pictures.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:29 PM

Damn Brandon, don't you ever clean your car?? Lol, just kiddin'.
Don't get scared by the cutting, it's not a big deal. And yes you can go back to stock.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:37 PM

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (UpstateCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UpstateCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damn Brandon, don't you ever clean your car?? Lol, just kiddin'.
Don't get scared by the cutting, it's not a big deal. And yes you can go back to stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, those are old pics when I did it. I have since cleaned it all out and installed ITR carpet.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You better

Here:

This guy had to trim more because it was grinding in 5th and reverse</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the last two holes that has been recently drilled through, what goes through there? and what kind of drill needs to be used to make them holes?
Old 06-23-2003, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpdFrk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also have any of u removed your balance shafts because im planing on removing mine before the swap. Is there alot of vibration or anything?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I had just the belt off for about an hour, because I wanted to find out how it drove.

There is an awful lot of vibration at idle. Enough to feel like the dashboard is going to fall off. Maybe it's different with the shafts removed and HCP kit, but with Hasport Race and the belt removed....I'll never do it again.

I found many, MANY loose bolts in my engine bay after that. The ones that scared me the most were the engine mount bolts under the cam gear cover...they were backed out about 4". Just BARELY holding in....good thing I caught that when I did and didn't drive it anymore.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (Natural Aspirated)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Natural Aspirated &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the last two holes that has been recently drilled through, what goes through there?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is for the new HCP transmission mount.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Natural Aspirated &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and what kind of drill needs to be used to make them holes?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do you mean size of the drill bit? I forget the size of the bit. Or what kind of drill? Just a plain jane drill will work.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:22 PM

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (hot_EH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hot_EH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had just the belt off for about an hour, because I wanted to find out how it drove.

There is an awful lot of vibration at idle. Enough to feel like the dashboard is going to fall off. Maybe it's different with the shafts removed and HCP kit, but with Hasport Race and the belt removed....I'll never do it again.

I found many, MANY loose bolts in my engine bay after that. The ones that scared me the most were the engine mount bolts under the cam gear cover...they were backed out about 4". Just BARELY holding in....good thing I caught that when I did and didn't drive it anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Still removed mine and gonna see how it is

With my car having little to no vibration at all at any time, other than just normal launching at about 800 RPM, there is little to no vibration. I'll have to see how it is with the balance shaft belt removed this week.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:26 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Do you mean size of the drill bit?

I forget the size of the bit. Or what kind of drill? Just a plain jane drill will work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Technically, a 9/16" drill bit is what's needed to drill out the pilot holes to the right of the original mounting holes.... I think should know, I rewrote the HCP EG-22 instruction manual a few months back .
Old 06-23-2003, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much cutting is involved in a h22 eg swap? (Newman)

Thanks everybody this thread is also going to help me out on my upcoming h22 swap. Post more info on what else needed to do this swap.

And yeah Newman and the mounts that I ordered from are they going to come with the EG-22 instruction manual?

Modified by Natural Aspirated at 12:08 AM 6/24/2003
Old 06-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Been talked before bro....

I removed the balance shafts just barely and waiting on a water pump/h23 tensionor. But I'll be sure to definitely write a review.

As for cutting, barely any to cut. But any type of cutting usually scares people off.

Here is a picture of what to cut when you mount the shift linkage:

As for cutting of the HCP mounts, you need to trim just a little bit. You will want to talk with some of the HCP boys on this swap, as I'm sure they have a picture of it to explain better.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

As for the holes what kind of saw is needed there? And the bolts thats holding the shifter asembly down, what size bolts are they? and what size drill bit it needed for that?