Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 12:33 PM
GB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons?

I'm interested in building something relatively inexpensive with lots of torque for my 97 Civic -- a daily driver and *nothing* else. I was interested in getting a B20, but am weary of hearing how the stock sleeves have cracked even under Honda Warranty in CRVs, plus since I live in Cali, I dont want to go to the hassle of trying to go BAR legal with a b20 running on an LS ECU and intake manifold.

So my question is: how much does it cost to get a b18b sleeved to 84mm? If I did that, I could get leftover b20 pistons, new rings/bearings and be all set. And what about going up to 86 or even 87 bore? Is it possible to get oversize el-cheapo OEM-quality pistons (nothing fancy for turbo or nos) for a reasonable price? If so, who sells them? Thanks for the input.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons? (GB)

u said inexpensive.. please sir, step away from your car and dont ever work on it. there is nothing inexpensive about building a motor..
Old 10-21-2002, 03:22 PM
GB

Default Re: How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons? (baonest)

You didn't notice the word "relatively" preceding the word inexpensive, did you?

I'm talking about using stock internals for a car that is JUST for city driving, NOT strip or auto-x, not an $8k+ blueprinted overbored-LSvtec with balanced knifeedged crank, forged pistons and rods and custom valvetrain. All I'm looking to do is build something that I can learn from and have fun in the process.

Next time pay attention to the adjectives before you decide to be a smart ***. Use your energy on something else other than sarcasm.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons? (GB)

Sorry, to not answer you question straight off, but why would you want to? The B20 sleeves only seem to crack under extreme stress (turbo, N20, high revs). If you car is just a daily driver, I don't really see a need to sleeve the block since it won't be seeing those stresses.

But, to answer your question, a Golden Eagle resleeve costs in the realm of $800 if I remember correctly.

B96v6
Old 10-22-2002, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons? (B96v6)

yo sorry GB fer acting like an ***. but anyways, my bottom end cost 3K, the block i owned, but i paid for labor, pistons, rings, rods, getting crank micro polished, bored to 84mm, sleeved. damn thing looks bulletproof.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:41 AM
GB

Default Re: How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons? (baonest)

No problem man.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:00 AM
GB

Default Re: How much $$ to resleeve/bore a b18b? What about cheap oversize pistons? (B96v6)

Sorry, to not answer you question straight off, but why would you want to?
Well normally resleeving would never be considered for NA, but I live in Cali so there's no way a b20 using an LS intake manifold and OBD-2 LS manual ECU would ever be approved/certified smog legal. I'd bring the car in and they would bitch about it being a light-truck engine running non-standard ECU even though it would easily pass the sniffer.

So the *theory* was to resleeve a b18b , get cheap b20 pistons and and put it back together. It wouldn't be technically legal, but there's no way the smog ***** would ever know that it isn't a stock b18b.

Overall, the sleeving seems a little out of the question $ wise for the application...if there was a way to put OEM style sleeves (instead of the overkill $$$$$ bombproof sleeves) in for less I'd go for it.