Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage?

I changed the spark plugs in my 93 Cx and it's still riding like $hit!
So, I called IAS and spoke wiht Randy.
They had 2 GSR's in stock both with over 100k on them and for $3,200.
Miles are too high for me, so I've got to give him a call back next Friday.

Randy did tell me that I can get a B18C (JDM) with less than 50k for $3,500 +$400 for LSD. But, I really don't want to go JDM.

I asked about going with an OBD2 motor in my OBD1 Civic. He said I will have to change the distributor & alternator, get a different ECU, and wires to convert the OBD 2 to 1. I could of sworn I read that the only thing I would have to change the ECU.

Anyhow, I'll call them back next friday and see what they have. I'm just wondering how many miles were on your swap from IAS?

Is there a good chance that they will come across an OBD1 motor with less than 50k on it in the near future? I figured some of you who have dealt with IAS may know a little about their inventory.

Will IAS price match with HMO? The LSD over at HMO is $300 extra vs. the $400 at IAS. The motors are also $200 less at HMO, but I hear HMO sells a lot of $hit motors so I don't mind shelling the extra $200 for a good motor.

If it comes out to over 4k shipped, I am going to ask them to cut it to 4k even shipped ..Would be like $3,750 at HMO

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage?

Is there a good chance that they will come across an OBD1 motor with less than 50k on it in the near future? I figured some of you who have dealt with IAS may know a little about their inventory.
Heck no! How many GSR's do you see for sell with less than 50K on them? Hardly none...it wouldn't be any different at a Junkyard....once in a blue moon.

Will IAS price match with HMO? The LSD over at HMO is $300 extra vs. the $400 at IAS. The motors are also $200 less at HMO, but I hear HMO sells a lot of $hit motors so I don't mind shelling the extra $200 for a good motor.
Why don't you call and ask? However, I don't see why they would. lol.

Most of the 'JDM' motors all come from the same source anyway....EVERY importer gets a bad motor once in a while. If you want JDM, I would go with HMO...He's been great to me, and if you've got a problem with your motor, he'll take care of it. It's all he does....24/7. The H22 I ended up with is all the way from '92....internally it looks practically new. Nowhere this thing is even anywhere NEAR what the mileage would be on a USDM equivalent.

If you want USDM, go IAS.

Oh, and BTW....good luck finding a non Type R LSD engine....nobody ever has them in stock. Might as well just get a Qauife.

This is all IMHO anyway.

Old 01-06-2003, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (Hybrid93Hatch)

i got a 1999 jdmb18c with 58k kilometers/33,000 miles from IAS. Runs like a fukn champ, strong, clean and no leaks. Awsome compression and doesn't burn oil.
Even the spark plugs looked new.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (Hybrid93Hatch)

I asked about going with an OBD2 motor in my OBD1 Civic. He said I will have to change the distributor & alternator, get a different ECU, and wires to convert the OBD 2 to 1. I could of sworn I read that the only thing I would have to change the ECU.
That's false. If you get a complete USDM OBDII swap with engine harness from a 96-01 GSR, all you need is an OBDI P72 ECU to run the motor. The OBDII harness will plug into the cabin harness plugs at the shock towers and the only wiring you will need to do is the VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch, knock sensor, IAB, and O2 sensor. There is no need to change the distributor, alternator, etc. or use a conversion harness.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (VTECVillain)

That's false. If you get a complete USDM OBDII swap with engine harness from a 96-01 GSR, all you need is an OBDI P72 ECU to run the motor. The OBDII harness will plug into the cabin harness plugs at the shock towers and the only wiring you will need to do is the VTEC solenoid, VTEC pressure switch, knock sensor, IAB, and O2 sensor. There is no need to change the distributor, alternator, etc. or use a conversion harness.
What I was thinking!

PS <> Your clown face thing is freaky as hell. My daughter would have nightmares for days if she saw that damn pic
Old 01-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PS <> Your clown face thing is freaky as hell. My daughter would have nightmares for days if she saw that damn pic
I think I get more replies about my avatar than answers to the questions that I ask on here sometimes
Old 01-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (VTECVillain)

Just got off the phone with IAS and still all they have are the same 2 GSR's with just over 100k on them. Damn, I was really hoping to order this motor today. He did say that a 2000 ITR would be in later this week with pretty low miles for $5,500. But, that is out of my price range

I may just give HMO a try.....
It seems like with HMO you have a 50/50 shot since half the people seem to get $hti motors and the other are happy with them......

This really sucks considering the Cx motor is now acting up
Old 01-13-2003, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck man, I'm trying to have patience saving this $$$, but it does get hard. I just have to be focused. As always, wish you look with her, let us know what the outcome is with either HMO or IAS.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (VTEK 4 U)

IAS is the BEST. there prices reflect there service. you get what you pay for. they stand behind there stuff better than ANYBODY.
would you be willing to buy that 2000GSR for $4500???

all you will need to change is the ECU to go obd1. most of the guys who call randy would rather buy all the obd1 crap rather than do some extra wiring. that is why he said that.

now, your getting impatiant, but that will get you into a mess if your not carefull. IAS honestly tells you what they have.
EVERY other place i've delt with has lied at one time or another and caused serious problems for me. they may of had the first motor, then i call for another, they say no problem and 2-3months later i'm asking for my money back.
IAS will NOT do that.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (trickeng)

for IAS, great service, drove over there to get my motor that place is huge.
My motor didnt come with some mis. parts and randy mailed them to me few days later. Dont know if motor runs jet though but ill be finding out soon.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (mmuller)

what's hmo?
Old 01-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (atisvt99)

what's hmo?

http://www.hmotorsonline.com

sells jdm engine swaps
Old 01-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IAS sells jdm motors? do you guys know how much they are asking for a 94 b16a?
Last time I heard they were selling b18c's for $3,800-$4,000? ouch!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How many miles were on your swap from Import Auto Salvage? (SupaFly_Honda)

IAS sells jdm motors? do you guys know how much they are asking for a 94 b16a?
Last time I heard they were selling b18c's for $3,800-$4,000? ouch!
Yes they sell JDM motors. Everytime I call and they don't have a USDM GSR that meets my requirements they offer me a JDM GSR. They're suppose to call me when a GSR comes in that fits my needs Going to be like 4k
Old 01-13-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck