Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high compression on H22A & other questions.

Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How high compression on H22A & other questions.

The H22A comes stock with 87mm bore with a compression of 10.0 - 10.6 - 11.0 depending on the source of the engine (either USDM or JDM or Euro). I'm just curious how high a compression can one get with the H22A without cracking a wall.

There was a guy from Cali selling an 88mm overbore custom piston H22A a while back. He stated 12.5 : 1 compression. With re-sleeving, are higher compression ratios possible? For e.g. 90mm overbore yielding 13+ : 1 compression. Importbuilders (the s/n name) posted recently about the approximate yield but I can't find the topic again.

Another question. I read on here a while back about the difference in H22 and H23 manual transmission. There was much discussion about the length of the gearing. Which one holds up better to higher torque?

Last question, the H22A blocks don't hold up well to more than 9lbs of boost (myth or fact, I don't know). How would say an 88mm overbored (resleeved or non-resleeved) H22A hold up to say a 100 shot of laughing gas.

I'm still relatively new to the hybrid concept even though I've owned a Honda for the past 8 years.

For further clarification, the project I'm thinking about is a built H22A into a 88 CRXsi with direct port wet/dry nitrous shot. I say wet/dry cos I don't know the difference between the two and therefore don't know which one is better yet. The car will not be daily driven nor will it be auto-crossed or dragged (at least not often). With regards to the oversteer of the H22 in an EF, can a person weigh down the rear to balance out the weight? E.g. put an additional 180lbs of weight in the rear to compensate for the oversteer? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for all information.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: How high compression on H22A & other questions. (CRXNuts)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXNuts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The H22A comes stock with 87mm bore with a compression of 10.0 - 10.6 - 11.0 depending on the source of the engine (either USDM or JDM or Euro). I'm just curious how high a compression can one get with the H22A without cracking a wall.

You can go as high as you want to as long as the rest of the motor is built to fit the power and heat the pistons will be creating, which also includes proper fuel management and tuning..

There was a guy from Cali selling an 88mm overbore custom piston H22A a while back. He stated 12.5 : 1 compression. With re-sleeving, are higher compression ratios possible? For e.g. 90mm overbore yielding 13+ : 1 compression. Importbuilders (the s/n name) posted recently about the approximate yield but I can't find the topic again.

Most people try to stay at 89mm because at 90mm you might run into sealing problems with the head gasket but keep in mind if you are using forged pistons in the h22 block its recommended that you do sleeve and upgrade the rest of components.. So I say find out exactly what it is you want to do and then plan out accordingly.

Another question. I read on here a while back about the difference in H22 and H23 manual transmission. There was much discussion about the length of the gearing. Which one holds up better to higher torque?

h23 trannies have longer gears than the h22. If you are drag racing or auto xing the h22 tranny is the one for you. If top speed runs are your thing then h23 trannies are more beneficial then.

Last question, the H22A blocks don't hold up well to more than 9lbs of boost (myth or fact, I don't know). How would say an 88mm overbored (resleeved or non-resleeved) H22A hold up to say a 100 shot of laughing gas.

Mis information. The h22 block is the same as any other apart from the lining. In most Forced Induction applications that are done poorly the piston rings are the first things to fail and that can also be attributed to alot of things. Do it righ the first time and you shouldnt have to worry about it again. I will leave the rest to the others to chime in about Nitros setups

I'm still relatively new to the hybrid concept even though I've owned a Honda for the past 8 years.

For further clarification, the project I'm thinking about is a built H22A into a 88 CRXsi with direct port wet/dry nitrous shot. I say wet/dry cos I don't know the difference between the two and therefore don't know which one is better yet. The car will not be daily driven nor will it be auto-crossed or dragged (at least not often). With regards to the oversteer of the H22 in an EF, can a person weigh down the rear to balance out the weight? E.g. put an additional 180lbs of weight in the rear to compensate for the oversteer? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for all information.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXNuts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The car will not be daily driven nor will it be auto-crossed or dragged (at least not often). .</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the heck are you doing this work for then?
Old 04-17-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: How high compression on H22A & other questions. (DarkKnight[DMD])

Personal Pleasure. I'm doing this for the car and for me. So I can drive it on weekends and holidays.

I really like to just go for drives to nowhere. It was an addictive habit since I first got my CRX. Jump in, drive and drive, fill up the tank, drive and drive. Then go home. Don't know if anyone else feels that way, but I do.

I just want to drive for fun...

Old 04-17-2004, 05:56 AM

Thank you, Jason KiDD, for your input sir. I hope you make it out of the East. Indiana and Detroit are looking pretty mean.

But seriously, thanks for your information, it has helped a lot.

C.H.E.E.R.S