Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you convert from 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $hit's been there the ENTIRE time!!!!!

I can NOT believe this. I am a dumba$$! This whole time I've been trying to figure out how to wire the o2 and the harness is already there. I even posted pics about the harness: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=461253

So, all I have to do is plug the damn thing in:

This:

Plugs Into one of these:

I hope the below pics will help someone if you ever need to know the wire locations at the shock tower.

I have a 93 Cx with a 98 GSR motor.
I was told that I need to convert my 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02.

Can someone explain how this is done or point me to a link that can help?

Thanks!

Modified by Hybrid93Hatch at 10:37 AM 4/9/2003
Old 03-29-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: How do you convert from 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02? (Hybrid93Hatch)

What harness are you using? I don't know what the stock CX o2 looks like cuz mine had a D16z6 in it. I used the harness off this engine when I dropped in my B17 so it was already set up for a 4 wire o2. If you are using the GSR harness, then you should not need to do anything.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 93 Cx with a 98 GSR motor.
I was told that I need to convert my 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02.

Can someone explain how this is done or point me to a link that can help?

Thanks!
my 92 cx had a single wire for O2, just get a EX engine harness, i got one from a 94ex for my b16a

92 cx
Old 03-30-2003, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's more than one way to rewire the O2 sensor. The wiring can be done under the hood or you can wire directly from the O2 to the ECU. Here's the pinouts:

O2 Sensor Input - WHT to D14 (needs to be a shielded wire)
Heater Control - BLK to A6
Sensor Ground - GRN to D22
Sensor Voltage - BLK to A25 or B1
Old 03-30-2003, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you convert from 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02? (VTECVillain)

There's more than one way to rewire the O2 sensor. The wiring can be done under the hood or you can wire directly from the O2 to the ECU. Here's the pinouts:

I thought the vtec was all I had to do for wiring. Damn! Should I grab an Ex / SI harness or just run the wires?
Old 04-05-2003, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's more than one way to rewire the O2 sensor. The wiring can be done under the hood
How owuld I go about just wiring under the hood to avoid adding more wires at the ECU?

or you can wire directly from the O2 to the ECU. Here's the pinouts:

[Modified by Hybrid93Hatch, 10:37 AM 4/6/2003]
Old 04-06-2003, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Which black wire is which since there are 2:
Also, why does the white wire have to be shielded (just curious)?

Old 04-06-2003, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How do you convert from 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02? (Na99Si)

What harness are you using? I don't know what the stock CX o2 looks like cuz mine had a D16z6 in it. I used the harness off this engine when I dropped in my B17 so it was already set up for a 4 wire o2. If you are using the GSR harness, then you should not need to do anything.
Here's a pic I just took of my 93 Cx o2:

What must I do now that the Cx is a 4 wire o2?

ADDED: I guess I'll pull the Cx 02 and all the wiring. Hopefully the GSR 02 harness will plug into the Cx's. If so, then I just need to take the entire harness of the Cx and put it on the GSR motor, right? If the harnesses do NOT match up then I could just splice the wires and not use the harnesses.

Looked at the o2 wires again: Looks like the 4 wires go back into the main harnesses and I can not tell where they go since they are loomed and taped. I looked at the harnesses where they would connect at the shock towers and do NOT see the same 4 colored wires..... I was thinking the middle harness would be it since it's only 4 wires, but they are ALL different colors. I'm probably going to remove the loom and tape to see where the wires go to if no one knows here

[Modified by Hybrid93Hatch, 11:05 AM 4/6/2003]
Old 04-07-2003, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for help needed!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:59 PM
roc
Honda-Tech Member

i need help myself,i have a 95cx with a 00b16. i wonder if the cx 02 will bolt up to the b series pipe
Old 04-08-2003, 02:41 PM

Default Re: How do you convert from 1 wire 02 to a 4 wire 02?

the black wires are simply heater signals. they do not have to go to any certain location other than the 2 pins mentioned.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Unwrapped the Cx wire harnesses......

Last night I finished unwrapping the tape / loom around the Cx engine harnesses.

I went outside and figured out which plug went where and took some pics with text to show where each of the 4 wires plug in at the harnesses on the shock towers.

You guys know I've been working on this swap for a long time and I just feel like I want to do this the best / neatest way possible (minimize the number of wires I have to run through the firewall to the ECU).

There are 4 wires on the 93 Cx & 98 GSR o2 sensors. The GSR has 2 o2's but the Eg only needs one and you will plug the other with a bolt or an o2 not wired up.

2 wires are black and go to different locations. I have no idea why Honda would use 2 of the same colored wires on the same harness It gets better! Under the loom / tape some wires are spliced to more wires or different colored wires and continue on to the harnesses. But, since I unwrapped all the wires I know exactly where all 4 wires go to

ERROR IN TEXT -- The harnesses in the pic below is from the drivers side not the passengers side as stated on the pic

Are those all grounds on that one plug with all the yellow wires? I ask because nothing is on the other side of that harness as you can see.

ERROR IN TEXT -- The harnesses in the pic above is from the drivers side not the passengers side as stated on the pic

The text on the pics should explain which wire is which and where each harness is located, etc.... I had to describe the location of the black wire since Honda decided to use 2 for the 02 (as talked about above).

Anyhow, if you don't want to run more wires to the ECU and would prefer to splice in under the hood this is for you!

I can unwrap some of the GSR harness and tap in at these locations to wire in the o2, right
Old 04-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Unwrapped the Cx wire harnesses...... (Hybrid93Hatch)

I take it you know that your running OBDII obviously... Two, im assuming you know that there are 2 o2 sensors with that motor. three, did you get a cut harness? If so you need to pin some wire and splice it into the 1 wiring.... understand?? Or you could get a 99 Si harness and it will all plug in as long as both the motor and ecu are OBDII which im assuming.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Unwrapped the Cx wire harnesses...... (purek9hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purek9hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I take it you know that your running OBDII obviously...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The motor is OBD2, but I'm using an OBD1 ECU which means I am running OBD1, right?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Two, im assuming you know that there are 2 o2 sensors with that motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they are actually in the pic up top. Even though I can only find one harness (the one in the pic up top)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">three, did you get a cut harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the pic up top shows the harness

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If so you need to pin some wire and splice it into the 1 wiring.... understand?? Or you could get a 99 Si harness and it will all plug in as long as both the motor and ecu are OBDII which im assuming.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess I don't need to do none of this since the harnesses came un-cut
Old 04-10-2003, 11:51 AM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing that's OBD is the ecu, but several things must be re-pinned depending on what conversion harness you have (like the dist). did you do all of this? or was it already done to the car?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (22lbGS-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 22lbGS-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing that's OBD is the ecu, but several things must be re-pinned depending on what conversion harness you have (like the dist). did you do all of this? or was it already done to the car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain these "several things must be re-pinned"? What do you mean conversion harness? The GSR harnesses plug right in to the exisiting civic harnesses. I'm confused at what you are saying.

Are you one of those who thinks the distributor has to be changed if the motor is a different OBD than the car
Old 04-10-2003, 05:40 PM
New User

Default Re: Unwrapped the Cx wire harnesses...... (purek9hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by purek9hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I take it you know that your running OBDII obviously... Two, im assuming you know that there are 2 o2 sensors with that motor. three, did you get a cut harness? If so you need to pin some wire and splice it into the 1 wiring.... understand?? Or you could get a 99 Si harness and it will all plug in as long as both the motor and ecu are OBDII which im assuming .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just to clarify....the 99 si harness will not plug into the 98 ecu. The 99 si is obd2.5 and the 96-99 integra is obd2. Integra didnt switch to obd2.5 till 2000.