Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can we/I trust them? Motor swaps...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how can we/I trust them?

Ok anybody who has done a motor swap probably (if they are smart) has done a lot of research. Now if I go on a site that says this JDM motor has this and that...and then it says the motor has 20-40k miles on it. How can I know that these people are telling the truth. Can anybody tell me how I can trust them?

I mean where do all these motors come from, they are obviously used, but who gives up a motor that has 40k miles on it?

And the warranty, most of the time you can't the trust the warranty. You think if they say we will fix within 6 months of purchase, and something goes wrong you bring it to them and they wil say "negligence" or "misuse."

I'm not saying you can't trust the compan, because I know people who have has succesful swaps and are still runnnig that motor. Just ho can you trust the miles that they tell you the motor has?

I didn't post this to say swaping is bad or stupid...just the thing about the miles got me a little confused.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (GS-Rdriven)

go to someone you know... someone that won't lie to you... sometimes the motor come from a car that was totalled...etc
Old 07-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well I thought of the same stuff heres some of my theories on the Importers.

1) No motor is what they say it is because they dont even know. Comes from random scrap yards.
2) They claim they do Compression test and what not which I dont know how, because the motor is not in the car. Go figure.
3) the Motors sometime may be stored outside (which is ok in mild climates) but might get really ugly. But the inside is safe.

So in short - Ibought mine with the intention of Rebuilding down the road sometime. Hope this helps.. Lol I probably scared a whole bunch of potential Customers away But hey my B20 is still running ok for not being tuned 2 months later. After I get it tuned and throw 50k on it we'll see!
Old 07-09-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (Darkane)

need some info on the miles thing so ttt
Old 07-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

same **** with shady sellers....."yeah man every 2500 - 3000 miles" runs strong my ***..runs like a bag of scotts bullshit... If it wasnt for liars and bullshitters some people woudnt have there panites in a knot all the time

Like stone cold says...DTA...dont trust anyone.
maybe fake *** wrestling but its no joke
Old 07-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

check out these guys since you are in virginia...

http://www.importautosalvage.com/

my roommate bought a type r motor from them out of a usdm itr with less than 10k on the odo... he paid a pretty penny for it, but it was mint and runs perfect...
Old 07-10-2004, 10:38 AM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (cmdr430)

ttt
Old 07-10-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (cmdr430)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmdr430 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but it was mint and runs perfect... </TD></TR></TABLE>
In other words.. was it hot?
Old 07-10-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (Rand0m)

Alot of the motors come from Japan Previously where they often get rid of them at 30k-40k miles due to some sort of emissions purposes.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (90integra05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90integra05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alot of the motors come from Japan Previously where they often get rid of them at 30k-40k miles due to some sort of emissions purposes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

there was a thread about this recently. At least I think there was, because I remember reading all about it. Maybe it was on another site. Basically Japanese emissions are so stingent that after like 3 or 4 years it's more cost efficiant to buy a new car than to get the current car up to emissions. With that said they can't claim that all of their engines are under 40k because the people may have had the car for only 4 years but that doesn't mean everyone drove 10k a year.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:43 PM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (BLacK FirE)

Word, didn't know that.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:39 PM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (90integra05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BLacK FirE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there was a thread about this recently. At least I think there was, because I remember reading all about it. Maybe it was on another site. Basically Japanese emissions are so stingent that after like 3 or 4 years it's more cost efficiant to buy a new car than to get the current car up to emissions. With that said they can't claim that all of their engines are under 40k because the people may have had the car for only 4 years but that doesn't mean everyone drove 10k a year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see, but when you get a JDM engine, don't you have to go to the DMV and tell them the mileage of the engine.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know, I've never owned a swapped car, so I didn't know you had to go to the dmv when you get a new engine if thats what you're inferring.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (BLacK FirE)

neither have I, could anybody tell us what precedure you have to do after you get the swap-like going to the DMV etc.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GS-Rdriven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">neither have I, could anybody tell us what precedure you have to do after you get the swap-like going to the DMV etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-11-2004, 07:49 AM

Old 07-11-2004, 08:00 AM

maybe in cali... in florida i didnt have to go to the DMV or anything, and when i totalled my car they popped the hood and i know they noticed this nice DOHC VTEC written on teh h22 and the paper says SOHC non-vtec and they didnt care. I know of people who have told there insurance companies and all they ask is... "is it a 4 cyclinder?" and if you say yes they are like ok. But as far as the motors go, in japan they do have strict emissions which is how we get them all, and you can take a compression test outside the car, you just spin the crank with the guage in there.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: (accord387)

when you get a JDM engine does it come with thr cluster and the odometer so you can determine the mileage
Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: (GS-Rdriven)

ttt
Old 07-11-2004, 04:31 PM

nah, but i wish you could actually see the original odometer just to be sure. I got a JDM b18b a couple months ago, my mechanic friend opened it up and said it was looking good like it was driven only 30k.

I trusted the guy i got my engine from cause ive seen other JDM engines that he has ordered and all of them looked great and had no complaints. So i guess just ask around and find a good place.

Good luck
Old 07-11-2004, 05:45 PM

Default Re: (MRXMUFFIN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MRXMUFFIN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah, but i wish you could actually see the original odometer just to be sure. I got a JDM b18b a couple months ago, my mechanic friend opened it up and said it was looking good like it was driven only 30k.

I trusted the guy i got my engine from cause ive seen other JDM engines that he has ordered and all of them looked great and had no complaints. So i guess just ask around and find a good place.

Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

so i could just bring a mechanic with me and they would let the mechanic chek the engine.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:31 PM

ttt
Old 07-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen those engines that supposedely have 30k miles with no oil changes looks like they just added oil when ever it ran low. open up the valve cover and caked oil. I'm sure someone has gotten one of those, that maybe ran for a couple of weeks then engine gave out.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:44 PM

Default Re: how can we/I trust them? (Qfactor)

the reason the claim to have usually around 35,000- and 40,000 is because in japan the smog control will not allow any motors with over 40,000 miles. hence they are swapped and shipped over here. bcuz we dont care about smog. ha
I went through http://hmotorsonline.com check out there site.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:56 AM

It all depends on how the car runs after you swap in that DOHC engine...Then you will definately know something...

Quick Reply: how can we/I trust them? Motor swaps...