Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible IDLE and other strange occurances w/ my gsr swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible IDLE and other strange occurances w/ my gsr swap.

we just finished my gsr swap today and started it up.. my idle is horrible, fluctuating from normal to about 3-4k rpm.. the CEL light does not come on, but when you plug in the jumper to check codes, the CEL blinks a code 21.. I also noticed that my fuel pressure is abnormally high, around 50 psi even when I unplug the vacuum source to the regulator..

there is also no vacuum coming from the line itself, nor is there a vacuum going to the actuator that controls the 2ndary butterflies.. i've also constantly attempted to bleed air from the coolant system, but there still seems to be air trapped in the system.. W/ the cap off, I also noticed that the coolant has bubbled and even foamed around the opening.. I also noticed some little residue of sludge around the opening at one time...

I"ve also checked for vacuum leaks, but cant seem to find any, gaskets seem fine, and so do all the sensors.. Right now I am stumped and have pretty much given up for today in trying to figure out the dam problem...

Please help me figure out my delima !! thanks
Old 05-10-2003, 08:59 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Horrible IDLE and other strange occurances w/ my gsr swap. (92HB_HB)

Just did mine last week and am experiencing the same problems as you. My idle is fluctuating and is sitting high. We are going to clean the IAC and see if that has any effect. Ive heard others have swapped their IAC from their DX(stock) motor and that seemed to correct it. Thats not my concern, my concern is with my car running so rich, have you experienced this? We just changed the oil after 200 miles and we noticed gasoline contamination in the oil. Im taking it to honda tomarrow and leaving it for them sunday. Hopefully they'll be able to work on it and tell me whats wrong. We think it might be a bad O2 sensor or it could have been that we didnt solder the wires and instead clamped them. Let me know if you've experienced any of these same problems and i'll let you know when i get the test back from Honda.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Horrible IDLE and other strange occurances w/ my gsr swap. (Si-G93)

kewl thanks.. what gets me is the high fuel pressure.. it just doesn't seem right.. my previous setup was my LS turbo, and the fuel pressure readings on that was normal.. what gives?? arrgh.. well today is so fricken windy, but sunny also, so i dont even want to be out side working on the car..
Old 05-11-2003, 11:03 AM

http://www.hondaswap.com/~pills/idlefix.html

there are a few suggestions that i came up with after my idle was fluctuating.. in addition to that, make sure you bleed the coolant system and dont' have any air pockets.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:51 PM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pills_PMD)

PILLS: I am taking my car into honda tomorrow to see if they can determine the problem, but do i need a fuel pressure reg. then? I am running rich and my idle is fluctuating could those be affecting each other, or do i have a bad IAC? I am going to try and test the IAC how you said and see how that works before i take it into honda. The thing that baffels me most is that i am running so rich that not all of the gas is vaporizing and some is draining into my oil
-Dylan
Old 05-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Si-G93)

so i take it the sludge i'm seeing in my coolant is a result of gasoline contamination in the coolant system?? arrgh.. how the heck can this happen?? also, i noticed that my gas gauge has dropped noticably and i haven't even been driving the car around..

dam fuel pressure is so high too.. i even swapped out the fuel pressure regulators and still its higher than normal...
Old 05-12-2003, 04:45 AM
AMG
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92HB_HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i take it the sludge i'm seeing in my coolant is a result of gasoline contamination in the coolant system?? arrgh.. how the heck can this happen?? also, i noticed that my gas gauge has dropped noticably and i haven't even been driving the car around..

dam fuel pressure is so high too.. i even swapped out the fuel pressure regulators and still its higher than normal...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Flush out the system immediatley and put water in it instead of coolent. You should do this from the start so that you can flush out the system. I just took my car into honda today and told them whats wrong, hopefully they will be able to tell me and correct it and it wont be too much money, but then again its a dealer!
Old 05-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Si-G93)

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! it seemed like I forgot to plug in the PVC hose into the manifold on the underside.. after i did that, the darn motor idled like stock.. it was so frustrating yet so simple...