Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda motors Online... bad motor :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda motors Online... bad motor :(

Well, after getting my motor It sat for about 2 months while my car was being repainted and straightened up. I went to put it in and I noticed some things were missing, no biggie. Soon after I found that the alternater and starter were bad, so I called steve and let him know. At first he wasnt going to help me because I didnt perfom the swap right away, which I dont really understand why. Then I talked him into replacing missing parts and broken parts. So, I finally get the car running and it smokes. I think that it has low compression on a cylinder and blows smoke when driving, especially when it crosses over to vtec. Now im going to try to get ahold of steve, which is near impossible, and see if he can do anything for me. I have a feeling im going to get the old "sorry for ya" and that will be it. I dont want to give steve a bad name, but I just want my experience to be known. Hopefully since I spent 3500 dollars with him he can at least do something for me. Anyone had a similar experience? Ill keep you guys posted on what the outcome is.

Jeremy
Old 08-09-2002, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Honda motors Online... bad motor :( (jeremywd40)

did you replace the spark plugs?
who knows how long the motor has sat
just because it smokes a little dosent mean its bad (but the compression i dont know. do a leakdown test)
mine smoked for a little (maybe 2 days) but it was just burning off all the crap that was inside the motor.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:31 AM

Sounds like you need to do a little more tuning first before you start spreading the bad word. Get a compression test dont, I hope you had a fune tuneup before you put the engine in, and then work from there?

And in most online shops defense all they usually give you is a startup garuntee/waruntee after that you are still pretty much on your own.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Honda motors Online... bad motor :( (Jason kiDD)

I too would do a little routine maintenance to it. If I buy a piece of software from CompUSA but dont install it, and then try to return it in 2 months.... they'd tell me to get bent as well. HMO is really good at checking compression before they ship the motors out. Did you do anything to get the oil recirculating before firing it up? after it sits for 2 months all the oil will drip off and settle to the bottom of the oil pan. I usually disconnect the distributor and crank the motor over until the oil light goes out. This gets everything good and lubed before firing it up and the IACV holding it at about 1.5-2k RPM unlubed.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the heads up
Old 08-09-2002, 12:55 PM

Did you read what needs to be done in order to receive their warranty? If not then heres the link: Warranty Info HTH.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Honda motors Online... bad motor :( (Integra-T)

Exactly..
Old 08-09-2002, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn, getting a motor can be risky. not that they sell bad motors or anything.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the warranty is startup only... can you imagine how bad a shape it'd have to be in not to even start?

There has to be a reasonable time limit on claims though... for all he knows you've been beating the **** out of it for the past couple of months and now want a new one.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:27 AM

I understand what you guys are saying. Im going to do a compression test tomorrow. IM not saying hondamotorsonline sells bad motors, im just saying as of now mine smokes. I guess the compression test will tell. It just really sucks in my position because I get my car done, start it up, and it blows smoke. And thats after spending 3500 dollars. Im going to try putting a few more miles on it in case it just needs to burn on some crust, but Ill be sure to let you guys know.

Jeremy
Old 08-12-2002, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck
Old 08-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From sitting you may have a frozen oil control ring. I would remove the plugs and squirt some wd-40 down the plug holes and let it sit overnight. Then put the plugs in and start it up and let it come up to temperature. If it still smokes. Let it cool down, remove the plugs and do it over again..

By the 3rd time, it should recover (if it's a frozen ring)..

Happened to me in my hatch after it sat for 3 months un-run in the shop..