Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Legend Diesel swap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Legend Diesel swap!

Ok so Im just toying with a bit of a crazy idea here! Petrol prices are ridiculous and Im thinking about making my DC2 a weekend car with much more power! So im going to need a daily! And want to do something a little different! I could pick up a mint 99 Honda legend 3.5, but thats not going to be a very practical daily, so I was wondering how difficult would it be to say put a small turbo diesel engine in. Say out of a toyota carina (a car not sold in the states) but they are common here and very economical and engines are know for bullet proof reliability. I know people say you can fit any engine to any car, but how much fab work do you guys think would be involved, also how heavy are legends? Would the power be sufficient!

Then the plan would be to VIP the legend, and have a pimping but economical car, that u never see on irish roads!

Please dont flame too hard, its just an idea!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Legend Diesel swap!

i think its a cool idea with alot of fab work putting ur skills to the test. im one of those people that wanna do crazy **** to my cars. but majority people are gonnna hate out the *** and tell you its pointless. however wen u actually build a thread and u begin working ppl will stop hating and apretiate ur work.

good luck bro be unique do it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I would estimate a large amount of fabrication involved in a project like this. don't let that stop you though, just be prepared for it .

the purpose you mentioned however was the cost benefit of driving a diesel instead of the original gas 3.5... i think that will be an incredibly tough goal. it's hard enough for auto manufactures to build diesel versions of their cars with reasonable payback periods on the technology premiums.. do the money math first. if you can get it to work out well and stick with it you'll do well. very well!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks. The more im thinking about it, the more difficulty I have.... The legend is an A/T and chances are donor car's engine will be manual... Also the donor car is very basic in terms of electrics....so a the wiring will be tricky to say the least! The reason I have the idea is because, at the moment, diesel BMWs and Audis and so on are WAY overpriced over here,and most of them are in bad condition and common as hell! Love the honda legend and never see any over here! BUT..... a 3.5 V6 will be thirsty AND road tax would like 2000euro a year as opposed 700 with a 2.0!

But when I think about it, Im still going to be spending crazy money that I could just put into the tank of the ITR which isn't very thirsty anyway! just Gas prices are getting stupid over here, so really starting to feel it!

Il keep thinking about it, if I decide to do so, you shall see a thread here!