Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda Civic 1997 engine swap to B20.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic 1997 engine swap to B20.

Hello, a new member here.
I am currently considering buying a Honda Civic 1,4L S 1997 3-door manual. And I am wondering about how to get more power out of the car.
I have heard that tuning and turbo charging the stock 1,4L inline-4 engine is not worth the money.

So I am thinking about a engine swap in the future. I have heard that any B- or D-series engine is a straight swap. Though, I live in Norway, so any heavy part is a no go to import form Europe or outside of Scandinavia. So no Integra parts, they are extremely rare and I have not found any on scrap yard sites. Though I found plenty of Accords, Preludes and CR-Vs.

I do not want to go crazy, I only want a fun project to get more power out of the car, and not go broke while doing so. I know how to weld, drill, grind, tap, cut and have some limited access to a workshop (though I can't park the car there for probably more than a day).
Considering the engines, I am thinking about the B20 engine from a CR-V. They are plenty of and sell for a ok-ish price (5000 NOK or 590 USD).

What is required to do the swap? I can borrow a engine crane and probably have to tools to do the swap, so I am more interested in what it takes to make it work, without heavy modifications.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I am all ears.

Mvh,
Xoon.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Re: Honda Civic 1997 engine swap to B20.

Originally Posted by Xoon
Hello, a new member here.
I am currently considering buying a Honda Civic 1,4L S 1997 3-door manual. And I am wondering about how to get more power out of the car.
I have heard that tuning and turbo charging the stock 1,4L inline-4 engine is not worth the money.

So I am thinking about a engine swap in the future. I have heard that any B- or D-series engine is a straight swap. Though, I live in Norway, so any heavy part is a no go to import form Europe or outside of Scandinavia. So no Integra parts, they are extremely rare and I have not found any on scrap yard sites. Though I found plenty of Accords, Preludes and CR-Vs.

I do not want to go crazy, I only want a fun project to get more power out of the car, and not go broke while doing so. I know how to weld, drill, grind, tap, cut and have some limited access to a workshop (though I can't park the car there for probably more than a day).
Considering the engines, I am thinking about the B20 engine from a CR-V. They are plenty of and sell for a ok-ish price (5000 NOK or 590 USD).

What is required to do the swap? I can borrow a engine crane and probably have to tools to do the swap, so I am more interested in what it takes to make it work, without heavy modifications.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I am all ears.

Mvh,
Xoon.
Be sure to check your country’s laws before doing any of this.

Get a B-series transmission from a Civic that came with a B16, and the B20 will bolt right up.

There are are plenty of write ups about this, so I’d recommend going to the 1992-2000 Civic forum of this website.

You’ll need a CRV manual ECU (or one with a chip programmed for the B20, or one for an Integra LS/RS), Integra B-series axles, 1999-2000 Civic Si engine mounts, 1999-2000 Civic Si “T-bracket”, and maybe an Integra LS/RS intake (for hood clearance). And don’t forget the intermediate shaft! It has to be for a manual transmission to match your gearbox.

This swap can easily be done in a day, granted you have all the parts.

EDIT: if your car is a manual already, this is a 100% bolt in swap.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra

Be sure to check your country’s laws before doing any of this.

Get a B-series transmission from a Civic that came with a B16, and the B20 will bolt right up.

There are are plenty of write ups about this, so I’d recommend going to the 1992-2000 Civic forum of this website.

You’ll need a CRV manual ECU (or one with a chip programmed for the B20, or one for an Integra LS/RS), Integra B-series axles, 1999-2000 Civic Si engine mounts, 1999-2000 Civic Si “T-bracket”, and maybe an Integra LS/RS intake (for hood clearance). And don’t forget the intermediate shaft! It has to be for a manual transmission to match your gearbox.

This swap can easily be done in a day, granted you have all the parts.

EDIT: if your car is a manual already, this is a 100% bolt in swap.
Thank you for answering!

So I need:
- CRV manual ECU
-Integra B-series axles
-1999-2000 Civic Si engine mounts
-1999-2000 Civic Si “T-bracket”

The car is a manual, since I don't like automatics.

Do I need the intermediate shaft if a use a manual?
Also, can I use a aftermarket ECU?
And, will the AC and power steering still work?
Old 11-22-2018, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Xoon
Thank you for answering!

So I need:
- CRV manual ECU
-Integra B-series axles
-1999-2000 Civic Si engine mounts
-1999-2000 Civic Si “T-bracket”

The car is a manual, since I don't like automatics.

Do I need the intermediate shaft if a use a manual?
Also, can I use a aftermarket ECU?
And, will the AC and power steering still work?
Yes, you will need a B-series manual intermediate shaft.
You can use an aftermarket ECU, or use a chipped one.
I think you will have to get a CRV AC compressor and power steering pump, and you’ll have to figure out what you need for the hoses.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here’s all you should need to know:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...A-%2A-1972711/
The following users liked this post:
Old 04-10-2020, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
Here’s all you should need to know:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...A-%2A-1972711/

​​​​This is going to help. Thanks