Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi guys i need your opinions and help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys i need your opinions and help!!

hi guys i have a civic 77 and i wanna swap his engine for a b16a but the thing that i wanna know is that im going to have some trouble doing it? the engine includes gearbox,ecu and wiring do you know guys if my project will be true? please i need your opinions and help because i don`t know if the b16a engine fits on the 77 civic thanks bye!!!
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hi guys i need your opinions and help!! (jdm powah)

Welcome to H-T.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any sort of mount kits and such to be able to place a B16A into the 77 Civic.

I have seen mounts thru HASport for 1984-1987 Honda Civic and CRX, but with a 77 Civic, you will need to get the COMLETE harness, due to you having a Carbed motor and the B16A having more sensors, VTEC, and MFPI (Multi Point Fuel Injection)

It is possible with some $$ if you really want to do it. You will need to obtain custom mounts, if not will have be fabricated in order to mount the B16A properly.

HTH.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Hi guys i need your opinions and help!! (poison)

thanks for your help i hope that more ppl read this topic and give their opinions because i really wanna now if that can be done!!
Old 06-11-2003, 11:37 PM

Anything can be done with the right amount of money, however I don't think its worth it unless you have some awesome fabrication skills for the mounts. You will need those, as well as complete wiring. It would be cheaper to start with a different car.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:51 AM

which what car do you recommend me to start instead of a 77 civic??
Old 06-12-2003, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jdm powah)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm powah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which what car do you recommend me to start instead of a 77 civic??</TD></TR></TABLE>

it matters where your budget is. The best car(s) to a motor into is 92-95 civic or CRX. The crx is the weightiest, but the civic is the easiest to swap a Bseries into.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm powah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which what car do you recommend me to start instead of a 77 civic??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd get yourself an 88-91 Civic/CRX.. and also swap a B16A in there.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:18 PM

mmmmm my money don`t let me do that buy and i already buyed the civic!!! so i have to see if that thing can be done if anybody knows a page about engines swap to any 77civic please let me know!! bye
Old 06-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what they're saying is that there's no 'kit' or any 'how to' to put a b16 into a 77 civic.

It's going to have to be custom. Meaning if you can't make the mounts and the engine fit yourself, or pay somebody to custom do it, you won't be able to buy anything anywhere that will help you.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm powah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">mmmmm my money don`t let me do that buy and i already buyed the civic!!! so i have to see if that thing can be done if anybody knows a page about engines swap to any 77civic please let me know!! bye</TD></TR></TABLE>

Proper english!!!

It CANNOT BE DONE with out a fair amount of cash which is NOT worth it.

If you want to pay $3500 to install a 1st gen B16A with custom mounts into a 77 Civic, go for it.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

ok.....a question what should i do with the wiring???
Old 06-13-2003, 08:01 PM

how much did you pay for a 77 civic? The car can't be that valueable to want to throw a b16 in. Its not worth it bro. If all you can afford is a 77' than a b16 is way out of the question, unless you planned to build one extreme sleeper!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

jdm powah, are you from Chile' by any chance? Your location reads Santiago.

I've seen a B series motor in a Civic as old as 1980, but it was some really crazy-*** car built by some big name Japanese tuner company just to say it could be done.

Didn't look very inexpensive by any means.

If you are that concerned about money to where you cannot even choose a better starting chassis, then no offense but you won't want to even try to make an engine swap happen.

Ever thought about building that 1200cc engine that's already in the car?

Find some Honda Goldwing pistons. Same exact bore and wrist pin height, but way bigger piston domes. This will yield more compression. I've also seen 1300cc cranks used as well, but all of this must be done with a lot of patience in mind and hopefully some good tools and know-how in building an engine.

Throw on a nice Webster carb and a bigger cam (they are around) and you will definately like that car a lot better.

If you really are in Santiago, Chile then I have no clue how the parts industry is there.

Old 06-15-2003, 05:52 PM

well im really on santiago chile but the trouble of the parts and installation is nothing to worry about because i ve seen on the net engines swap like mine on ly i need patience and money and contact my crazy friend who is also building a lotus super 7 !!! with he im gonna make my dream come true
Old 06-15-2003, 08:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm powah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well im really on santiago chile but the trouble of the parts and installation is nothing to worry about because i ve seen on the net engines swap like mine on ly i need patience and money and contact my crazy friend who is also building a lotus super 7 !!! with he im gonna make my dream come true</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well. Good luck my friend.

I would contact your friend on this and get yourself a full 1st gen B16A swap, with complete wiring including the main harness, and you will need to definitely have custom mounts done in order to mount it.
Old 06-15-2003, 08:38 PM
New User

Default Re: (poison)

the b16 won't fit into the 1200 engine bay without spending LOTS of money (unless you can fab everything yourself).. you'll need to cut quite a bit out of the firewall to make it fit (1200 engine bays are TINY and b-series motors do not fit without taking out quite a bit of material), fab up all the mounts, have custom axles made, customize the shift linkage, convert your car to FI, get custom fuel hardlines made, etc.. it's gonna be ALOT of work.. not really worth it IMO but if you really want something different go for it..

if you're set on building the 77 civic you've got several other easier choices besides a b16.. first, is your 77 a CVCC or a 1200? if it's a CVCC (ed1 motor) you'll want to ditch that for a new motor, period. those motors do not take well to modification due to their fuel efficient (pre-chamber) design.. if you have a 1200 then you can build the eb2 motor that's in there to a good 100-115 hp and still be very streetable.. that may not sound like much but those old civics are liiiiight.. 100+ hp will make that thing quick. if that's still not enough you can look into dropping in an ek1 (1751cc from early accords/preludes).. it's the easiest motor swap for those early civic's and will give you a 30hp increase over a stock eb/ed motor.. track down a carb and a cam for that (not easy as parts are pretty rare for those ek's but they can be found) and you'll be able to keep up with alot of the other hybrids on this board.. or you can look into a honda city motor (stock fi turbo motor) or fab'ing a d-series motor to work.. you've got quite a few cheaper, easier swaps to look into before you decide on a b-series swap..

for some more info check out http://civic1200.com.. there's alot of good people in there that really know a ton about these old civics.. that'd be a great place to find more info about whatever swap interests you..
Old 06-15-2003, 10:51 PM

hi i have read your page and is very interesting can you give a hotmail adress so i can add you to my msn?
i know that you can help me a lot because of what i ve seen on your page because the idea is get a fast car with sleeper look but with no big money expend because the money is less thing that i ve got
Old 06-15-2003, 11:03 PM

or what d series engine do u guys recommend me? instead of b series because analyzing the chances is more easier put a d-series than a b....but what d series should i put?
(if i surrender doing the b swap).

bye!

Old 06-16-2003, 01:56 PM

anybody? :D
Old 06-16-2003, 10:25 PM
New User

you do realize that the d-series engine is going to be just as involved to put in the 77 as a b-series, right? there's no "easy" way to do it and it's going to take just as much work, money and customization as a b-series swap.. the only difference is it's slightly smaller so it'll fit a *touch* better (it's still a bit big for the engine bay) and the motor itself will be cheaper for you to pick up.. other than that pretty much everything else will cost about the same..

since it doesn't sound like you know what you're getting into (or the fact that you probably won't be able to afford a b or d-series swap into that 77 civic) i'd REALLY recommend either the ek1 swap or building an eb motor..
Old 06-16-2003, 10:40 PM

thanks for your help bojangles u are right i guess that i dont know on what im getting into but my question is how about tune the original engine? the trouble is that i live in chile and this cars are very rare in here and there is no stores that can import parts and if they are they charge like 100% extra for the part could you please give me your mail so i can add you to my msn? thanks!!
Old 06-17-2003, 06:54 AM

up up