Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me fix my B17's problems!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me fix my B17's problems!

I just recently swapped a B17a into my car. Here is all the info:
1991 CRX DX
B17a (from 92 GSR)
PR3 ecu
JDM S1 tranny

I got it up and running fine. It only throws one code and that is for the VSS (I haven't transferred it over from my old tranny yet). When I first ran my car, it was good. Since it is so cold in NY right now, the thing would idle rather high at first but once warmed up would idle around 700rpm. The cam timing on the motor is perfect. I haven't messed with the ignition timing too much yet b/c every time I toucht he dizzy while it is running I get shocked. All the grounds are hooked up though.

Just recently, the motor has been acting weird. It hesitates/bogs at low rpm, and there is no power up top. I figure this may be b/c of the VSS and how someone mentioned it disables vtec if the code is thrown. Another thing, I can smell excessive fuel. It can be smelled from the engine bay and from the exhaust. I mean this thing is DUMPING fuel into the motor. I am not getting a code for the fuel injectors or anything like that. MPFI wiring seems to be fine. One thing I am associating this with is that I haven't gotten a chance to add the secondary O2 sensor yet. Would this cause the car to run so rich though? And what about the power loss? I mean smoke is blowing like crazy out of the exhaust. Possibly something with the head gasket?

I just wanna get this running, and not have anything worse happen like blowing my motor. This is the second motor I have been through due to getting a bad block previously.

Any suggestions? I would appreciate them asap as I am working on the thing I need it running.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Help me fix my B17's problems! (RuffRhyno)

it may very well be the o2 sensor...my infiniti had the same issue... when i finally added(replaced) the 2nd o2 sensor... no more gas smell or bogging and it definatly increased the gas mileage...so im not sure if it will help your ride but im willing to bet my lunch money that it would.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help me fix my B17's problems! (paybac4223)

Another possibility to cause a problem...I replaced the headgasket and headbolts when I had the motor out of the car. When I torqued everything down, I did so in about 15 degreed weather. After the motor was running (with the expansion and retraction of aluminum), is it necessary to go back and re-torque those headbolts once the motor has been warmed up a bit?
Old 02-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I was driving home last night a friend of mine was behind me. I was aware of the amount of smoke blowing out my exhaust. He told me it looked like the smoke screen from Spy Hunter. He also said that it wreaked of fuel and he literally smelled the gas from my car, through his A/C vents. It smelled so bad he had to roll his windows down. So, there is definitely something very wrong with my fuel management. Anybody know why this coul dbe happening?

I am using an Integra Type R fuel rail with stock FPR. Stock fuel pump, stock OBD0 peak and hold injectors. I picked up the second O2 sensor today which I will be welding another bung into the exhaust manifold tomorrow. Cross my fingers.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump