Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help me decide to buy car or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide to buy car or not?

hello, this is my first post so I hope I am in the right spot for what im asking, just a general question as to my needs and likes and if I should stick with my current car or buy something I am interested in.

First I do run drag's alot, I don't have turbo's or nothing, I am currently driving a 1992 civic si with a jdm b16a second gen, the 168-170 hp version, with a y21 tranny, I LOVE THIS CAR! love it, im getting about 25-30 mpg with it, which is pretty good, I don't race on the streets, maybe the odd green light if im in the mod and somenoe is messing with me, but nothing really other than that and the drag strip when it's open in the summer. I bought the car last year, did alot to it and was the first 5 speed I ever owned. At first I was running low 16's, but found out that it just needed a tune up and the ignition timing was at like 32 degrees lol. After a tune up and some experience I pulled off a 15.29 at 91mph with a 60 foot of 2.6 seconds. I do want more power, it's a summer car and for this summer im looking for a little more power. I have exhaust with 1 resonator, and a short ram intake that's it. The engine shows 210-220 compression per cylinder. Like I said it's my baby, I run full synthetic ever 5k.

Now the car I have been interesteted in is a 1997 civic cx with a h22 swap. I think a younge guy owns it, has ugly 17's on it, silver trim on the car I hate, It has euro tails which will be gone, I would bring it back to the stock look for sure if I got it. Im worried that because it's just a stock h22 with only a bigger muffler that it won't be "That" much better, as in, speed/fun. Im hearing 14's, and since im already almost in the 14's as it is thou the high, would this upgrade really be worth it. Price wise it's pretty good, he wasnts around 3,000 for it, I paided 2,500 for my car right now. I guess the main questions I have are..

1. Performance, will that torque really make the buy worth it right there? and will the longer h22 gears make it fun around town?

2. fuel economy, I will be using it as a daily driver? i hear low 20's mpg but some people say 30's so I don't know lol.

3. rev limit engine damage?? I can bang my jdm b16 to 8200-8400 all day and still perfect compression after a entire summer, what about h22's?

any other info that you think you feel I should know before I purchase the car, would you perfer my current car over the h22? I actually rather the eg look over the ek, which may play a part in the buy. Let me know anything thanks.

note that I will be doing intake header's and exhaust on it, no top of the line stuff but that's in the works, also a buddy of mine strongly told me to do it, because he thinks I should buy a b18 5 speed tranny put in on my current car, and save the y21 and do a "H2b" to the new car, would that make the buy right there for you?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me decide to buy car or not?

keep it man love for the eg si!!! and that seems like a fun as ******* car
Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help me decide to buy car or not?

If you're mainly interested in drag racing, I'd go with the H22. More torque, and not hard to get to 220whp. I'm pretty sure H22's are good for 8000rpm in stock form. Also, I do agree with your friend to keep your y21 but the H2B kits do cost a bit.

In my opinion it all depends on what you wanna do. If you're gonna keep with drag, or move on to circuit/track. Personally I'd keep the B16 for r/s ratio and for circuit conditions. That's just me though. I also like the EG more.