Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!!HELP!! ITR intake manifold on 1st gen. B16a, idling problem! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2001, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!HELP!! ITR intake manifold on 1st gen. B16a, idling problem! (pics)

I'm using the B16a throttle body and an aftermarket fuel rail. The ITR im has no provision for these items (Throttle Valve Dashpot Diaphragm, Starting Air Valve, Fast Idle Thermo Valve - normally mounted on B16a im, no provision on ITR IM) so I have eliminated them. Coolant lines to the IACV and Fast Idle Thermo Valve have been re-routed.

Once I start the car, it immediately revs to 3000rpm... and it just stays there even when the car has warmed up. The following are things I've gone through:
- checked for any vacuum leaks on manifold - none
- checked all vacuum hoses are connected correctly - done
- adjusted idle scew on throttle body - idle doesn't change much
- reset ecu - nothing

These are the areas I capped off from coolant

B16a TB with gasket, notice there are 2 holes on the right. The ITR IM has only one. Could this be anything to do with my problem???

ITR intake manifold - 1 hole

B16a throttle body - notice 2 bypass holes

Everyting look ok?

Help! I'm running out of ideas here.

TIA
Old 07-29-2001, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!HELP!! ITR intake manifold on 1st gen. B16a, idling problem! (Lyonel)

where is your fpr vacuum line going to?
Old 07-29-2001, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!HELP!! ITR intake manifold on 1st gen. B16a, idling problem! (Lyonel)

Your vacuum lines are all wrong . The one coming off the fuel pressure regulator needs to be connected to the small bung on the front left of the manifold that you have blocked off. If you dont give it vacuum(like it is now) you will be giving it wide open pressure all the time. The small coolant line that that comes off the im on the left side needs to go to the tube on the tb and then to the iacv on the back of the manifold that you have capped off then to the coolant cross over tube under the manifold on the back. From the pic I cant see a map sensor either( I cant tell if its next to the purge for the canister or not). Do you still have the charcoal canister in use?
Old 07-29-2001, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!HELP!! ITR intake manifold on 1st gen. B16a, idling problem! (Tbone)

My B16a IM didn't have a bung on the intake manifold for the FPR. Where the FPR vacuum is attached now is where it used to go on the B16a IM. I tried attaching the hose to the bung on the manifold, no difference.

The coolant hose coming off the intake manifold goes into a line where the IACV coolant attaches to. This was the whole idea of bypassing coolant to the throttle body.

See that small round black object (on the last pic) near the alarm speaker siren... the map sensor is just next to it.
Old 07-30-2001, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need the iacv hooked up, go from the im to the inlet on the iacv and then out to the crossover tube.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!HELP!! ITR intake manifold on 1st gen. B16a, idling problem! (Tbone)

oh hell, didnt even notice that, yeah, the disconnected iacv is your problem, that thing has to see coolant temperature, or else you'll be idling at your warm up idle speed forever( like you are).
good luck,
J