Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with eg4 swap d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with eg4 swap d16y8

Hello,

Im preparing the swap for my eg4, I get a complete coupe with a d16y8, the problem is that im lost with the wiring, I have the oportunity until this weekend to take all that I need from the coupe.

The problem is that I dont know if I need any part of the wiring and if I cant reuse anything from the eg4 wiring

I heard that the 92 eg is pre-wired for the obd1 engines, how I can check if my car is ready?

There is any possibility to maintain the obd2 hardware by the moment until I earn some bucks for the obd1 hardware and hondata?

eg4 92 obd0 dpfi to d16y8

Sorry for all the cuestions, this is my first engine swap
Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help with eg4 swap d16y8

Originally Posted by Fernando Morata
Hello,

Im preparing the swap for my eg4, I get a complete coupe with a d16y8, the problem is that im lost with the wiring, I have the oportunity until this weekend to take all that I need from the coupe.

The problem is that I dont know if I need any part of the wiring and if I cant reuse anything from the eg4 wiring

I heard that the 92 eg is pre-wired for the obd1 engines, how I can check if my car is ready?

There is any possibility to maintain the obd2 hardware by the moment until I earn some bucks for the obd1 hardware and hondata?

eg4 92 obd0 dpfi to d16y8

Sorry for all the cuestions, this is my first engine swap
Other cuestion, is correct to use a obd2 to obd0 to connect the coupe computer to the eg and use a conversion harness from obd0 to obd2 for the injectors and distributor? Next I should add the cables for 2 injectors and vtec right?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any help on this?

I have the complete engine harnes from the ecu to the engine and the p2p ecu, The connector that I dont know how to modify is the drivers side connector, is possible to do this? or I need to change from dpfi to mpfi first and next use a obd0 to obd1 for the ecu and obd0 to obd for the engine hardware?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the connector that I dont know how to match the eg4 harness

Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

You are likely not getting any help here because you have provided some inconsistent information. In the US, a '92 Civic would be an OBD-1 application and ALL versions/trim levels would have engines that are MPFI and not DPFI. OBD-0 ECU plugs are two different colors (one is milky white and the other two are black and the ECU has a green plug and two black ones) whereas the OBD-1 ECU plugs are all grey (both on the ECU and the chassis plugs). IF you truly have OBD-0 ECU plugs and a DPFI engine... you will need to take detailed pictures of the engine bay and the kick panel where the ECU and plugs are located so we here MAY be able to help you.

OBD-0 and OBD-1 (or 2) components are NOT compatible... but OBD-1 and OBD-2 components are. No, you cannot use a P2P (or any other OBD-2 ECU for that matter) with Hondata... you will have to use an OBD-1 style ECU ('92-95). You will use the original '92 Civic engine harness on the D16Y8 engine... adding the VTEC wiring and modifying the fuel injector and distributor plugs. Try your D15B2 distributor on the Y8 cylinder head... if the bolt holes line up, you can use it without changing the distributor plug on the engine swap. I cannot remember which application works with the Y8 head, but one of them actually does... otherwise, you make an adapter harness for the Y8 distributor plug. You can use EX OBD-1 fuel injectors in place of the Y8 fuel injectors if you don't want to chop off and replace the injector clips... or swap the clips and use the injectors in the Y8 engine. Lastly, with an OBD-1 P28 ECU (or equivalent), it will plug in directly to your chassis harness/ECU plugs. You will not need to alter any wiring at the ECU... the '92 chassis has the VTEC wiring already provided in the chassis harness. Your VTS and VTP wires that you will add to your engine harness will meet the chassis harness at the right side shock tower. The two wires you will be meeting are orange/white and orange/black.

You could convert the car to OBD-2... but WHY ?!?!?! The additional wiring required is a TON of work (especially the fuel tank pressure sensor - you will be pulling the fuel tank and either chopping a hole in it to mount the sensor and running the wires OR modifying a '96-98 Civic fuel tank to fit the car and running the wires), wiring a different charcoal cannister with a purge/cut vent/shut valve, wiring in a secondary O2 sensor... and if you don't have a cat, you will need to DEFEAT this sensor to avoid a CEL, wiring up the data port... all so you can use an ECU that you CANNOT TUNE with Hondata. You could use a GReddy Emanage Ultimate... again, a ton of wiring and pricey... and limited capability.

So essentially you have asked this community to help you do this the REALLY hard way... and I would strongly suggest you keep the car OBD-1.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You are likely not getting any help here because you have provided some inconsistent information. In the US, a '92 Civic would be an OBD-1 application and ALL versions/trim levels would have engines that are MPFI and not DPFI. OBD-0 ECU plugs are two different colors (one is milky white and the other two are black and the ECU has a green plug and two black ones) whereas the OBD-1 ECU plugs are all grey (both on the ECU and the chassis plugs). IF you truly have OBD-0 ECU plugs and a DPFI engine... you will need to take detailed pictures of the engine bay and the kick panel where the ECU and plugs are located so we here MAY be able to help you.

OBD-0 and OBD-1 (or 2) components are NOT compatible... but OBD-1 and OBD-2 components are. No, you cannot use a P2P (or any other OBD-2 ECU for that matter) with Hondata... you will have to use an OBD-1 style ECU ('92-95). You will use the original '92 Civic engine harness on the D16Y8 engine... adding the VTEC wiring and modifying the fuel injector and distributor plugs. Try your D15B2 distributor on the Y8 cylinder head... if the bolt holes line up, you can use it without changing the distributor plug on the engine swap. I cannot remember which application works with the Y8 head, but one of them actually does... otherwise, you make an adapter harness for the Y8 distributor plug. You can use EX OBD-1 fuel injectors in place of the Y8 fuel injectors if you don't want to chop off and replace the injector clips... or swap the clips and use the injectors in the Y8 engine. Lastly, with an OBD-1 P28 ECU (or equivalent), it will plug in directly to your chassis harness/ECU plugs. You will not need to alter any wiring at the ECU... the '92 chassis has the VTEC wiring already provided in the chassis harness. Your VTS and VTP wires that you will add to your engine harness will meet the chassis harness at the right side shock tower. The two wires you will be meeting are orange/white and orange/black.

You could convert the car to OBD-2... but WHY ?!?!?! The additional wiring required is a TON of work (especially the fuel tank pressure sensor - you will be pulling the fuel tank and either chopping a hole in it to mount the sensor and running the wires OR modifying a '96-98 Civic fuel tank to fit the car and running the wires), wiring a different charcoal cannister with a purge/cut vent/shut valve, wiring in a secondary O2 sensor... and if you don't have a cat, you will need to DEFEAT this sensor to avoid a CEL, wiring up the data port... all so you can use an ECU that you CANNOT TUNE with Hondata. You could use a GReddy Emanage Ultimate... again, a ton of wiring and pricey... and limited capability.

So essentially you have asked this community to help you do this the REALLY hard way... and I would strongly suggest you keep the car OBD-1.
If I keep my actual harness, I need to add cables for 2 more injectors and transform all the engine plugs to fit with the original car harness, so my idea is swap the engine with the complet obd2 harness (I have the harness from the ecu to the engine) next I will convert the ecu plug to obd1, I see this easier than add the cables for the mpfi, vtec, convert all the plugs of the engine.

I can jump the tank presure sensor
https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-m...sensor-139302/

And I have the complete exhaust of the cupe, with the lambdas so I dont need to spend anything in this sensors

Today I can take some detailed pictures of what I have in the eg, and the y8 engine and harness