Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap...

ok here's the situation.

1999 Civic Si w/ JRSC. Blew usdm b16, 80's compression across the board, so bought a 1st gen JDM B16 longblock. The JDM b16 used to be an automatic, if that makes any diff...

The jdm motor was older than my car and was an older OBD. We had to take some of the stuff from the usdm block and slap it on the jdm one. And those were the distributor, tranny, vtec solenoid, usdm alternator, usdm fuel rail and injectors, new usdm water pump, usdm timing belt and tensioner, usdm water pipe and thermostat, usdm crank pulley, etc. and one other sensor thats goes on the back of the block I forgot and of course the JRSC. Also running the 9psi stepper pulley, JR FMU, JR Map mod, JR BTC, Fields VTEC controller. Still using stock P2T ECU. Hondata will be coming once I get the car started and running...

Ok, did the longblock swap. Slapped the 1999 USDM OBDII components to the block. The JDM block dosen't accept the Crank Fluctuation Sensor, so that's unplugged. JDM block also has these 2 gold things sticking out on top of this green shiny surface, about a size of a quarter, located on the back of the block. I dont see anything that plugs into that, so nothing's connected there. Everything else is. Brand new battery, checked fuses good, checked grounds (valve cover, thermostat and tranny grounds) good. Fuel pump primes on II position. Cleaned battery terminals. Connections to starter good. 2 connections to alternator good. Clutch line good. Made sure the cams were on TDC when we did the timing belt. What else, oh yea, fuel filter is fairly new. Also, the JDM block had an oil cooler, but couldn't leave it on or else the JRSC would not clear, so we took it off and took the oil filter holder from the usdm b16 and put it on the jdm one. All fluids good. Hmmm...

So now when I try to start it, it makes this loud CLICK coming from the starter and sometimes all the pulleys move, then stop, and that's it. Then makes this whizzz sound, then my cluster lights dim if I keep the key on III position. Sometimes I hear this ticking noise from my ECU. WTF? I checked for spark, and I have no spark. So I swapped in a distributor off another 2000 JRSC Si that works. Same result. The engine is also flooding with fuel!!! Fuel is leaking from where the header meets the test pipe Hmm what do u guys think? I should take my starter to get checked. What about my alternator? I'm losing my patience. Fawkin cool car in my garage but it's a POS cuz it wont start lol. But yea.... any help I would appreciate.... I need this car running!!! peace out brothers
Old 01-07-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap... (THE PLAYER)

are you positively sure your battery has charge?
Old 01-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap... (tnbigdawg)

sounds like a weak battery just like the previous post. are you getting spark? and the sensor (1/4 size) on the back of the block is the fan sensor. Are you using US thermostat housing? Since the US fan sensor is on the t stat housing. Post up if it feels faster, same, or slower. I'd like to know if the Auto motor made a difference. Good luck
Old 01-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap... (SiR831)

you did remove the flexplate from the automatic and put your clutch/flywheel on right?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The JDM block dosen't accept the Crank Fluctuation Sensor, so that's unplugged.
You can add the crank fluctuation sensor, but you need to change the oil pump to the OBDII one. Without it, you're car will constantly throw a code 54 for that sensor unless you convert to an OBDI ECU.

JDM block also has these 2 gold things sticking out on top of this green shiny surface, about a size of a quarter, located on the back of the block. I dont see anything that plugs into that, so nothing's connected there.
That is the coolant temp sensor on the first gen B16. Since you swapped over the coolant pipe and thermostat, you should now have the regular coolant temp sensor so there's no need to hook it up.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap... (VTECVillain)

you did remove the flexplate from the automatic and put your clutch/flywheel on right?
Yes.

You can add the crank fluctuation sensor, but you need to change the oil pump to the OBDII one. Without it, you're car will constantly throw a code 54 for that sensor unless you convert to an OBDI ECU.
I figured that out after bolting the motor on Oh well. I will be converting to OBDI and Hondata, so that should clear that up.

That is the coolant temp sensor on the first gen B16. Since you swapped over the coolant pipe and thermostat, you should now have the regular coolant temp sensor so there's no need to hook it up.
I see. I was wondering what that was. Yes, I'm using the US coolant pipe and thermostat.

I also found that I had to swap over the US vtec solenoid because the OBDII harness dosen't plug into the jdm one.

Well I got tired of troubleshooting. So I said to hell with it and towed the car to a friend's shop. They looked into it, found a short that's causing my injectors to not function properly. They cranked the car with no plugs, they said fuel shot up and hit the ceiling, which is roughly 50 feet high.

Well hopefully they'll fix the short and my car should start right up. Should be done soon. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:55 PM

I have a similar problem on a 2000 Si at work. the clicking i found was the main relay just above the ecu. Got a new relay on order for it. Seems like when ever it was clicking the oil, battery, and cel flashed rapidly with it. I'll repost on here to let you know what happens. Maybe these problems are similar.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap... (acuratech)

If fuel is leaking out of the exhaust and the motor wont turn over it is most likely hydrolocked. Pull the sparkplugs out and try to crank it over. Make sure you cover the holes with something and disable the distributor. If fuel shoots out of the holes it was hydrolocked with fuel and you need to find the source of the leak.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:10 PM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: HELP!!! car won't start after longblock swap... (FULLTHROTTLE)

try bump starting it to see if the engine will actually start, if it does than you know you have a electrical problem. i had a very similar problem in my teg, its a bad battery ground, so when i tried to draw current for the starter, it just clicked because there wasnt a big/good enough ground to support it. So I would check all of your electrical work.