Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP axle popped out, LSD trans, HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP axle popped out, LSD trans, HELP!!!

OK heres whats going on.

1993 civic hatchback, has a D15B engine. Recently swapped an LSD trans, with h22 prelude axles. Were not exactly sure which transmission it is, but it has "ZC LSD" written on it.

ANYWAYS... driving on the highway, the rpms kinda stuck, and i tried to downshift, but had no power going to the wheels. we got it to the shop, put it on the lift, and noticed one of the axles was partially out of the tranny. Pulled out the axle, and the splines were partially grided down.

we flushed the tranny, and found some metal shavings, but hopefully we got out as much of that **** as we could.

were not sure what to do next. were looking to buy new axles, BUT WHICH AXLES ARE GOING TO WORK WITH THIS SETUP? WHY DID THE AXLE POP OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE? the C clips were still intact on the axle.

any help/input is appreciated. THANKS!!

Old 03-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Shooting Star

I had that problem with my h22 civic...why are you running prelude axles?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im WhiteHB15LSD's friend, trien to help him out...

a shop did the tranny swap for him, and i think they just had those axles laying around, so they used them.

can he just use stock axles to make it work?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Shooting Star

well the thing is if the axles arent quite long enough on the cv joint closest to the trans the c clip will not do its job...as with the old ones i used to have...
Old 03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont' get it, why use prelude h22a axles when you could've used the stock D-series axles?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:57 AM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

Its still the stock D axle with the H22 driveshaft attached. The guy that installed it claims that it is the exact same length, but the ends needed to be a different size to fit into the tranny. He also claimed that theese axles would be a lot less of a risk since the LSD tranny puts out twice as much torque as the stock D-series tranny.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:04 AM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

Does Anyone know exactly what the length of a stock D series axle is from end to end. This would be a huge help since then i could just measure the axle that the shop put on and know exactly what my problem is.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WhiteHB15LSD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteHB15LSD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its still the stock D axle with the H22 driveshaft attached. The guy that installed it claims that it is the exact same length, but the ends needed to be a different size to fit into the tranny. He also claimed that theese axles would be a lot less of a risk since the LSD tranny puts out twice as much torque as the stock D-series tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still confused. axle and driveshaft are usually considered the same thing unless I'm confused. lol

you probably mean he used the h22a axle and used the d-series joints?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

Yea he did somethin crazy at the shop, but I think thats what it was. It was the H22 axle with the D series joints......I think. I called that Raxles place that is advertised on here and they said what he did was wrong for my set up, and that theey could custom build me and axle for $150. The guy on the phone was extremely nice and knowledgeable about the whole thing. It was nice to finally deal with someone in the after market world that knew exactly what they were talking about.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhiteHB15LSD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea he did somethin crazy at the shop, but I think thats what it was. It was the H22 axle with the D series joints......I think. I called that Raxles place that is advertised on here and they said what he did was wrong for my set up, and that theey could custom build me and axle for $150. The guy on the phone was extremely nice and knowledgeable about the whole thing. It was nice to finally deal with someone in the after market world that knew exactly what they were talking about. </TD></TR></TABLE>

$150 isn't too bad for a custom built axle. I say go that route.

thing is, I don't see why you didn't use the stock d-series axles to begin with. if it's a d-series motor with a d-series tranny, why not use d-series axles?? lol...
Old 03-31-2006, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a friend with a complete d15b swap(lsd) and we used the stock axles with no problems
Old 04-01-2006, 08:54 AM

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

Again I dont know why he didnt use the stock D series axles. When I had him put the tranny in he said I have some cool ideas for this car. I said do what you gotta do to make it work. When I got it back he told me he put on the H22 axles because they were stronger. I said alright thats cool Im not ganna complain about havin stronger axles, but obviously they dont work so thats why im in this fucked up situation right now.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Shooting Star

Just go to an autozone type place and buy new axles it will end up costing you around 100-150 for both and its not hard.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:54 PM

Your mechanic probably wanted your stock axels for something else. lol.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: HELP axle popped out, LSD trans, HELP!!! (WhiteHB15LSD)

make sure your lower ball joints are good and tight, if they not the axle can slip out. on the inner Cv joints there are two different ways the ball bearing race can fit, they can be in backwards and make the axle shorter and make sure your trans is properly vented so you arent building pressure in the trans and blowing the axle out past the slip ring