Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC

Old 06-17-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC

Now I am really starting to doubt the LS/VTEC configuration?!

I first had it built and was using a stock honda gasket that was opened up to meet the 85mm bore I am using. Well I blew that one. Found out that the stock gasket when used in this configuration becomes very weak and can't seal the cylinders very well. I am only running 11:1's but I guess I got a weaker gasket or something.

But wait it gets better. I took the car in and it was definately burning coolant. It was confirmed that the gasket was blown. So I got the Cometic headgasket for 85mm LS/VTEC configuration. This is what all the guys on this site were suggesting. I trust everyone's opinion on this...

So I got the gasket and had it installed... by the Acura Dealership that put the motor in. Now I get a call saying that the car is no longer burning the coolant. But now the coolant is just leaking into the oil!!!! How the hell does that happen.

Put it this way, when the gasket blew, I had to drive the car like 2 miles to get it to a parking lot. I immediately checked the oil. The oil in the pan was CLEAN meaning no apparent coolant contamination. The oil looked fine. The valve cover was milky (under the oil cap and around the oil cap opening. And the car was burning the coolant. No big deal, blown headgasket. Now this was an area where the head could be cracked and leaking through the head or just bad gasket. That was already thought of. The head was checked and no apparent cracks. Well it will be found out when the head gasket is replaced.

Now the gasket is replaced, No warpage on head. Gasket now seals the damn cylinders, which tell me that the head was not cracked!! But.......

Why the hell or how the hell is the coolant getting into the damn oil???

Any idea's????? Please help!!!!!

The Cometic tech stated that the gasket could have been but on wrong. Which is definately possible. Needless to say, it's coming apart again to see what's up.

What happens if the headgasket is installed upside down? The cometic gasket has only a small printing on it which says "UP". But what if the tech put it on upside down? would this throw off the coolant and oiling holes? My guess is yes! But we'll see.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (Shft@9GSR)

Ouch! I would definitely check if the dealer put that ish in wrong...which is a STRONG possibility. That Cometic head gasket is very reputable...so I don't see how it was a product defect.

And I would assume that if it's installed upside down, that would definitely block/open up coolant and oil passages, hence the oil contamination.

BTW, when you were driving with the blown HG...why didn't you just pull over and kill the motor ASAP? The duration between when it blew and when the motor was actually stopped might have something to do with the situation. But seeing as the head was checked for leaks/cracks/warpage...I'm 99% sure the HG was installed upside down. That's the ONLY situation that I can think of also.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (Prelude_RCR)

i dont trust honda to install aftermarket parts.
i dont trust honda to install anything.
just my .02

the headgasket is probably upside down.

[Modified by KAMiN, 12:04 PM 6/17/2002]
Old 06-17-2002, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you block and head are not warped. Also, unless you are running 85mm sleeves, get a stock headgasket and some gsr arp headstuds. I never had any problems sealing with that on my ls/vtec.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (Prelude_RCR)

About the driving with the blown head gasket... I didn't have much choice, I was in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town at lunch time. But also, I figured it was coolant after I saw the white smoke. The car was in no danger of overheating, and I only worked about 2 miles away. This way I would be able to troubleshoot as much as I could without having to worry about towing the car or getting it towed.

I got the diagram from the Cometic tech and just looking at the diagram, it looks like the gasket could easily be put upside/down and that would block off or leave a gap open for coolant to lead around to other holes. I'll know more tomorrow... I hope.

Thanks for the info.

Not to mention... that if the head was cracked, or bottom end was damaged, the coolant would still be leaking into the cylinders. But know since the only thing that was changed was the head gasket, that is pointing to a completely different problem. And since compression check was done after the new gasket and all cylinders were ok, then definately no cracks. The mechanic even drove the car and changed the oil about 5 times and still coolant in oil. He said that the car doesn't burn coolant or misfire, or stuble at all. Which is another good indication that the combustion process is being performed properly.

Which makes me believe even more that the mechanic made some sort of mistake.

and to Jedi Master... I am running 85mm iron sleeves and ARP GSR studs, also block is step decked. which makes this whole thing even more odd.

[Modified by Shft@9GSR, 8:22 PM 6/17/2002]

[Modified by Shft@9GSR, 8:23 PM 6/17/2002]
Old 06-30-2002, 08:13 PM

I'm having the same problem with my lsvtec. I know my headgasket is on right side up though, so that can't be my problem. I ran a leakdown test to see if I had bubbles and air coming through the radiator, once again not problem there. If you all might know of something thing else...please help. I'm changing the head gasket this weekend, so if you think of something before then...I will be very appreciative.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:16 PM
ImportReview

Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (2litreLsVtec)

I bet anything if I looked at the block and the head, I could tell you in a few seconds what is wrong with it.

Probably not straight, or you forgot to put the plug in the head.

Its not the head gasket. If the head gasket is blown, you should be able to visual see, where exactly it is blown, because most likely, it won't be brown anymore, youll see the base color.

I bet you can re-use that head gasket, after you figure out where the head/block needs fixing.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2002, 08:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (ImportReview)

I would find it hard to believe that the H/A dealership would misinstall the head gasket when the stock gasket has the "UP" imprinted into it as well. If they messed that up then who knows how many stock ones the person has messed up. That "UP" logo is tricky to find if you don't know what it looks like.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (badCRX)

I would find it hard to believe that the H/A dealership would misinstall the head gasket when the stock gasket has the "UP" imprinted into it as well. If they messed that up then who knows how many stock ones the person has messed up. That "UP" logo is tricky to find if you don't know what it looks like.
honda installed the cometc head gasket.
not their own.
Old 07-05-2002, 05:17 AM
New User

Default Re: Head Gasket ISSUES!!! LS/VTEC (KAMiN)

I don't think you understood my post. I was saying since Honda's own gaskets have the same "UP" symbol as Cometic on it, if they fudge yours up, then I wonder if they are fudging up other people's as well with their stock ones.