Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hasport's 455whp K20 EK

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 07:25 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hasport's 455whp K20 EK

Just got the newest issue of Sport Compact Car in the mail and the cover car was the turbo'ed K20 EK that I had heard a little about here. Pretty badass. Big ups to Brian and the rest of the crew a Hasport.

Brian, if you're out there, I've got a couple questions for ya.
It sucks that they blew it up, you guys got it back up and running yet?
Why did you decide to use a T3/T4 instead of something more modern like a GT series turbo?
Old 05-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (rochesterricer)

Wow, gotta pick up that issue ...
Old 05-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (4DRPIMPIN)

yep, i got it yesterday also. i was wondering if you got it running again too? how about the traction control? did all the bugs get worked out? good question about the turbo, why no GT series?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (ninefivehatch)

I remember hearing that Full-race had the car.....
Old 05-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rochesterricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Brian, if you're out there, I've got a couple questions for ya.
It sucks that they blew it up, you guys got it back up and running yet?
Why did you decide to use a T3/T4 instead of something more modern like a GT series turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The turbo kit is one I had for the 2001 Civic EX Sedan we ran at the Car and Driver Superfour Challenge. That was Rev Hard kit made to bolt into the 7th Gen Civic with K20. I also had the motor built for that car. When we started the mount kit for the K-series into EK, I knew it would be easier to make a down pipe for a turbo than it would be to make a header. So basically, that's what I had on-hand.

It was running again, we picked up the car from SCC a couple of days before the SCC/SS Time Attack Challenge. Then we slapped a Type R engine in it and went to the event. We wound up tuning it at the track during the event to take second place in Limited FWD class. Big props to Eric Valdes of Street Image for everything he did.

Anyway we made it NA when we got back to AZ so we could prototype the new header. Then we took it over to Full Race where it is now getting a new manifold and turbo to take advantage the larger amount of room behind the engine. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and show you guys the new setup. Modern and bigger turbo + equal length tubes and it should be capable of 650-700hp. The engine is getting freshened up (rebuilt) too.

brian g
Old 05-23-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (brian g)

BIG
Old 05-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember seen a pic of the k20 and the nice front mount a couple months aog didn't know the numbers it was putting out though. Damn the new setup seems quite impressive!
Old 05-23-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, can't wait for this issue!

Spec's on the rebuilt engine?
Old 05-23-2004, 07:10 PM
HT White Ops

With how much I've heard you rave about the K24, I'm a little surprised you guys didn't build up one of those with an RSX head for that car. How long before one is in the works?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a built K24, but when I started the K-series EK project I had the sleeved K20A with low compression pistons installed on hand too. The sleeved K24 I had, was 11.0:1, a little high for a turbo. The K24 engine was scheduled to go in another car with a supercharger bolted to it.

The other problem of course is time, I currently have nine project cars in various states of completion that will all find their way into magazine articles. I have another three project cars that are being used to prototype new products or for racing.

But, in those projects I have a TSX engine swap, an all motor K24/Type R road race engine project, a supercharged K24A1 (CRV) swap, a K24A4 (Accord) engine swap and as I mentioned above, a sleeved/bored/high compression K24 block with Type S head supercharged project.

I know I rave about the K24, but I can't help it. It's great for two reasons: I know that once someone comes out with some decent cams for that engine it will make close to 200hp without an RSX head swap. The other reason should be obvious. Let's say there was a B24 block that bolted to the B16A or B18C head avialable for a grand and it didn't require oil lines to make VTEC work - what would you have in your car?

brian g
Old 05-23-2004, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brian g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Then we took it over to Full Race where it is now getting a new manifold and turbo to take advantage the larger amount of room behind the engine. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and show you guys the new setup. Modern and bigger turbo + equal length tubes and it should be capable of 650-700hp. The engine is getting freshened up (rebuilt) too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

keep us updated on that! that is exactly what i want to do, just in a 92-00 coupe.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:05 PM
HT White Ops

Don't worry Brian, I wasn't trying to knock your enthusiasm for the K24. Actually, I agree with you. That is probably the route I will end up going since a grand is a lot easier to swallow than $5,500 for the K20a. The only thing that sucks is the stupid eco-VTEC on those motors, yuck!

Keep us posted. I am especially curious to see what cams, etc. will work best with the K24/Type S head combo, since I hear the absolute highest you should spin 'em is 8 grand due to piston speeds. Looking for a fatty boombatty torque curve on that baby.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brian g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let's say there was a B24 block that bolted to the B16A or B18C head avialable for a grand and it didn't require oil lines to make VTEC work - what would you have in your car?

brian g</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-24-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out R&D Dyno, they are selling K20 stroker setups, or you can have a K24 destroked to 2.3 if you want to keep the revs. Import Builder is also selling K24's that have been destroked.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The new setup

Here's a thread on the setup.
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

brian g
Old 05-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The new setup (brian g)

hmm when I read the magazine it was only running a 13second quarter mile. Is this true?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The new setup (michaelOlson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by michaelOlson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm when I read the magazine it was only running a 13second quarter mile. Is this true?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's true, on 205 wide Toyos in a parking lot, and with someone unfamiliar with the car driving it. This is always a big point of contention with any of these magazine tests. They don't go to the strip it just a normal parking lot, they won't use slicks or even drag radials, and as I'm sure you read, they spun the tires the whole way through the quarter.

The resulting times are not very indicative of a 455hp car. We'll take it to the strip once the new system is up and running.

brian g
Old 05-26-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brian g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a built K24, but when I started the K-series EK project I had the sleeved K20A with low compression pistons installed on hand too. The sleeved K24 I had, was 11.0:1, a little high for a turbo. The K24 engine was scheduled to go in another car with a supercharger bolted to it.

The other problem of course is time, I currently have nine project cars in various states of completion that will all find their way into magazine articles. I have another three project cars that are being used to prototype new products or for racing.

But, in those projects I have a TSX engine swap, an all motor K24/Type R road race engine project, a supercharged K24A1 (CRV) swap, a K24A4 (Accord) engine swap and as I mentioned above, a sleeved/bored/high compression K24 block with Type S head supercharged project.

I know I rave about the K24, but I can't help it. It's great for two reasons: I know that once someone comes out with some decent cams for that engine it will make close to 200hp without an RSX head swap. The other reason should be obvious. Let's say there was a B24 block that bolted to the B16A or B18C head avialable for a grand and it didn't require oil lines to make VTEC work - what would you have in your car?

sounds a little busy at the shop
Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (APEX CRX)

do you plan on having any times with the traction control working and turbo? im guessing no since you are rebuilding it na. do you have any previous experiance with traction control? i am just trying to get an idea because i have heard that a lot of supra guys don't like the racelogic system which i thought was a great idea. any input on traction control systems would be great, as im just trying to decide whether they are worth the money for a high powered ff car.

ps, if the traction control is worth the money, i plan on having close to the same setup, just with a gt series turbo, and a 2.4l block!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (ninefivehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninefivehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you plan on having any times with the traction control working and turbo? im guessing no since you are rebuilding it na. do you have any previous experiance with traction control? i am just trying to get an idea because i have heard that a lot of supra guys don't like the racelogic system which i thought was a great idea. any input on traction control systems would be great, as im just trying to decide whether they are worth the money for a high powered ff car.

ps, if the traction control is worth the money, i plan on having close to the same setup, just with a gt series turbo, and a 2.4l block!</TD></TR></TABLE>

We'll get the car up and running this summer. We will experiment with the settings and try to find a setup for both slick and radial tire drag racing. Mathmatically, this car could have run 10s on slicks with good suspension and driving.

brian g
Old 05-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brian g &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a built K24, but when I started the K-series EK project I had the sleeved K20A with low compression pistons installed on hand too. The sleeved K24 I had, was 11.0:1, a little high for a turbo. The K24 engine was scheduled to go in another car with a supercharger bolted to it.

damnit....i still need to go meet you and see the shop man. you have some crazy projects going on and i wanna see them. ive been contimplating doing a K20-EG or even CRX if i find time to do the custom work, to run the honda-challenge but i need to finish school and all i need is 1 broken project car lol.

dont you live down in ahwatukee? i KNOW ive seen one of your cars going by work a while back.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (Kamin)

Wowzers! That's all i've got to say...phenomenal!

Just got done with the article myself. Absolutely fabulous!

I was already creaming my pants over a) a K20A in an ek hatch period, stock, and b) that nasty torque and well balanced power delivery on the 2.4 supercharged motor, and the hits just keep on comin'...

Just love to see people with the money, know-how and resources put together things that i can only fantasize about right now. (Damn, i need a job!)

Keep turning out the hotness...]-[aSp0r+ ownz me!

to brian g. and all on the hasport crew!

PS did i come off as too much of a cheerleader...bah! LOL!
Old 05-28-2004, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (from_zer0)

Damn! That is a tight *** setup
Old 05-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
dont you live down in ahwatukee? i KNOW ive seen one of your cars going by work a while back. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I do, I think you saw me in the red Civic back in the 9lbs of boost days.

brian g
Old 05-29-2004, 05:54 AM

wow pretty cool

Quick Reply: Hasport's 455whp K20 EK