Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone in here bought just a bare chassis before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone in here bought just a bare chassis before?

Im thinking of a new project car. I was thinking that I may try to find just a stripped bare hatch chassis and put it all back together. Has anyone in here did this before. Did you have to get a salvage title or were you able to get a regular title? The reason Im asking this is because I dont know alot about this title thing if I were to get a shell basically and build it all back myself what kind of title would I have to get? Does anyone know where there is a hatch shell for sale? I dont want a beat up wrecked one maybe one that is sitting in a junk yard that is still in good shape but just doesnt have anything on it if you know what I mean.TIA
Old 11-10-2002, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone in here bought just a bare chassis before? (ringgold)

no one?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:32 PM

this is not going to be the best way to get a car together. i would much rather dissasemble and reassemble my own car, because all the parts are there. you will spend a lot more money trying to source parts to put a shell together. figure suspension, mounts, brakes, lines, blah, blah. also, a salvage title happens when a wrecked vehicle is rebuilt and repurchased from an insurance company, most of the time. i would avoid salvage vehicles if they had frame damage, as it is difficult to get the car to track straight and the structural integrity of the car has been reduced. good luck.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone in here bought just a bare chassis before? (wreckedhatch)

Cool thanks for the info. I was just daydreaming about building another car and starting from scratch if you know what I mean? Anyone else have any opinions on this?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with WreckedHatch's point of view. It might be cool, but its definitely going to cost a grip $$$$. I dont know if you've ever gone to Honda to buy brand new OEM parts but it costs an arm and a leg and thats just for trim pieces and small items like that. If you have the spare time and plenty of money to pick up whats not there, and have a straight framed chassis. It would be pretty cool. But the odds of having all of those and putting it all together is going to be the difficult part.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Has anyone in here bought just a bare chassis before? (ill phil)

Yeah I have bought some stock parts from the dealership before they were pretty damn expensive. So I basically already knew that it would be alot easier to buy a hatch that is already together and then work on it but it just seems cool to me to try and peice one together like people do old cars that they find? But i can see where it would cost an arm and a leg to build one back.