Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   hard restart at gas station, evap purge problem? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/hard-restart-gas-station-evap-purge-problem-3317006/)

rorik 03-25-2018 05:47 AM

hard restart at gas station, evap purge problem?

Just trying to figure out something my h22 swapped 02 accord has been doing recently before I have to do another 4+ hour drive back home. It's done this at least 4 or 5 times now at gas stations, and I can't remember if anywhere else, or at another times. What it does is it totally struggles at restarting, at cranks excessively and then when it does catch it only can hit about 200rpm, just barely able to run at all, and it has done this refueling with the engine still on twice now at the same gas station. As soon as I started putting fuel in the tank, the motor did the same thing, I thought for sure I'd be calling for another tow. When it's done it after a restart, if it catches, it seems like I can get it to clear up by feather the accelerator a little and just waiting for it to go away. Once it's running good again, it's good to go.

So, I'm guessing it has something to do with the evap purge system, and probably something with the h22 swap or the p28 ecu running the accord evap system. Like the valve is staying open and causing the motor to inhale way to much fuel vapor. ? Does that sound at all possible or probable? Could the evap purge control be accidentally mis-set in a tune? This is the first thing I woke up thinking about today, so I could easily be way off. How is the purge valve/system supposed to operate? I can't remember when the valve is supposed to be open. Thanks for any help.

holmesnmanny 03-26-2018 02:49 AM

Re: hard restart at gas station, evap purge problem?

check if the charcoal cannister is flooding over

DCFIVER 03-26-2018 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by rorik (Post 51590413)
So, I'm guessing it has something to do with the evap purge system, and probably something with the h22 swap or the p28 ecu running the accord evap system. Like the valve is staying open and causing the motor to inhale way to much fuel vapor. ? Does that sound at all possible or probable? Could the evap purge control be accidentally mis-set in a tune? This is the first thing I woke up thinking about today, so I could easily be way off. How is the purge valve/system supposed to operate? I can't remember when the valve is supposed to be open. Thanks for any help.

Yes,it certainly sounds like a purge issue.

You can pull off the line from the purge valve and see if there is any liquid fuel inside(there should be none). If there is,the charcoal canister is flooded and that is your problem.

I do not know how aftermarket programming will affect this.

rorik 03-28-2018 10:48 PM

Thanks guys, I have to look into this, I have another 4 hour drive tomorrow with this car. Next time it does it I'll pull the hose from the purge solenoid and see if it has gas in it. I guess I'll have to look up how the purge system is supposed to operate too. I know only the most vague theory on it, I have no idea when the valve is supposed to be open, if there are multiple valves, or how it all connects. I have wondered a little about that before though, say for example with a turbo car, you wouldn't want to send boost back into the tank through the valve, or pull intake manifold vacuum from the fuel tank either. I'm also wondering why it's just been doing this since I swapped in a different basemap. Oh well, time to learn more stuff I never wanted to have to know. I'll post back with what I figure out.

rorik 04-03-2018 10:44 AM

So the other day I drove this thing inside a big building and checked it out for a few minutes. Man I miss the CA weather were I grew up. Nothing but wind and snow where I am now. Anyway, the purge solenoid opened as soon as the key was on. Even with the motor cold. Is it supposed to do that? The solenoid worked, it sealed the hose when I unplugged it or turned the key off, and there was no liquid gasoline in the line. So I'm now wondering if it is programmed to operate incorrectly, or I have a problem down the line in the evap system (which according to what I've researched is somewhat likely in areas with winter road salt) or both. Before I drove home, I unplugged the solenoid, and the car hasn't done anything stupid since. But I did not hear any kind of hiss when opening the gas cap.