Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2B Vs. H22 4.64 FD

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H2B Vs. H22 4.64 FD

Hey guys, my first question on the boards and i'm only asking after doing a bit of research so please no flames .

Ok lemme talk about my proposed build first to get you guys up to speed.
I have a '99 ek chases that I'm gonna swap an H2B into.
After some thought i decided to go with the 98+ ITR tranny over the GSR LSD simply because of the stronger hec LSD in the ITR and the shorter gears.

Ok so im figuring 1.5k for the ITR tranny new* + 1.6k for the H2B kit and mounts so about 3k total just spent on setting it up. (might be an over estimate, but that's a good thing).

I was giving it some thought and at first i was going to run the H2B set up stock for a bit then throw on a JRSC with a goal of some where around 250 WHP. Just to give STis and Evos a run for their money. (i have friends with srts evos and stis who talk **** on hondas all the time, and i kinda wanna take them for a walk.) + I feel the JRSC running like 6 or 9 psi will be low maintenance (correct me if im wrong).

Just shortly after i felt content with my build ideas i remember reading a thread on a 4.64 or so FD for the h22 tranny. I don't know prices but i figured with the 3k i was going to spend on the h2b kit i could get an LSD h22a throw the 4.64 FD on it and run low boost from a turbo (8psi) or a JRSC - just keeping the motor stock.

ok on to my questions.

1. Any one know anything about the 4.64 FD set up on the h22 tranny? is it significantly shorter? I mean i've seen charts and such, and the gears are bit longer than the ITR tranny but i figured that might be better for me in the traction department.
Any one know some ball park prices? sites?

2. also is the stock h22 LSD strong? i mean can it handle 250 WHP, don't want to have to upgrade that later on, it would leave me wishing i would have went H2B in the first place.
I might throw in an after market LSD if the stock one will be an issue during the FD upgrade.

3. I've seen the videos of all motor or stock H2Bs and it seems like the light weight of the chases they are swapped into combined with the h22's great torque seem to make traction an issue. Do you think i'd be spinning my tires all day if i super charged the H2B set up? I mean no point in the added hp if its just burning up my tires.

I feel like even thinking about going FI is like slapping the H2B concept in the face - simply because of the fact that i could just run higher boost on a stock b series and make close hp with out even having to do the h2b set up. I mean i haven't heard much about FI H2B set ups, is that for a reason? Maybe I should just go all motor on the h22 if 250 whp is my goal, i mean it seems pretty attainable - I read about h22's pushing 280ish WHP all motor with out any insane mods. Any references on a 250ish all motor build?

Any advice? I know the post is a bit scattered - so many different ideas. I just want to have my mind set so i can start buying the parts to get this project on the way. I'm a full time student (junior) at UCSD so i start class in like 15 days. I'm expecting the project to be done within two years. I want to do it rite from the ground up, and I want to try to do most of it my self if possible. You know to feel the extra gratification, and a sort of graduation gift for myself haha .

Ah just remembered, because im ordering my h22 long block in a few days. Do you recommend changing the gaskets on the motor? I a bit paranoid because of the excessive revving it might undergo due to the nice gearing. I mean obviously it would be a good idea, but is it necessary? I don't want to tinker with the motor and mess it up before its even running and have to pull it out and fix it, but at the same time i don't want to swap it in and fire it up and blow a gasket. Any posts on a complete gasket swap on an h22?
*edit: I am truly considering a full gasket replacement because the block will be sitting in my garage for a couple months at least while everything comes together. So i figured why not feel a little extra secure.

Thanks in advance!

-Elude

Modified by Eludeh22 at 7:50 AM 9/10/2008
Old 09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H2B Vs. H22 4.64 FD (Eludeh22)

You cant S/C the h2b setup, at least not with the JRSC, no room.

see??

1). putting a 4.64 FD in the h22 trans, you will notice a drastic change. since the stock h22 final drive is 4.2. usdm itr trans have a 4.4(thats what im running). you'll prolly spin tires as bad as an h2b.

2). there are plenty of guys with 250 whp and their lsd's are holding up fine in their h22 trans. the problem with h22 trans sometimes, is they dont like to shift at higher rpm. the b series trans on the other hand love to spin. and in my opinion, the b series trans feel so much better, No sloppy cables to deal with. and if you go h2b you wont have to cut a hole in your floor board to mount the shifter box.

3). with the itr trans, i spin all the way thru first and second gear, at the track with the right tires, traction shouldnt be too much of an issue.

as for boosting, dont think of it as a slap in the face to h2b or whatever.. honestly anyone who boost or drag races their hondas is "slapping them in the face". honda's were designed as road/track cars.. hahaha, so dont worry about offending or slapping anyone. its your car, do as you please with it. and since the engine is gonna sit for a wile, sure , go ahead and change the gaskets, and timing belt. and dont forget to do the manual tensioner conversion wile you're at it.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Edit*
haha **** man you read my mind

Modified by Eludeh22 at 8:30 AM 9/10/2008
Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Yee, helped me out a bit on my decisions.

Boosting would only occur after driving the H2B around for at least a year. (3 years from now)
I might have a decent job and cash flow to do a proper turbo set up.

Im still bummed about the fact that the JRSC wont fit =/.
I read a post on a 500+ whp SC and it seemed to be mounted under the headers. Might be a possibility, I'll have to check back once he fine tunes the set up.

talk about quick response lol.

Thanks again
Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Interesting thread, I was really thinking of going B series but H22 is looking better every day. My stock 92 CX really needs a different powerplant. 70 Crank horsepower is a joke going into the Evo makes me not want to drive the civic, but the great mpg is what brings me back.