Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid / Engine Swaps (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/)
-   -   h2b/f2d oil pan (https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/h2b-f2d-oil-pan-2504034/)

hondamark35 02-18-2009 02:20 PM

h2b/f2d oil pan

i keep having thoughts of correcting the angle of the oil pan for my F2D project...

for those unaware, the F/H is slightly sloped (maybe 10 or 15 degrees) towards the firewall. the bottom of the pan is made level to the ground. adapter kits alighn the motor vertically like the B/D series. so the result is a pan that slopes away from drain plug and in the way of road debris!!

visual aid:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/...d098f1.jpg?v=0

the common fix is welding a plug bung to the front side of the pan. this is fine, but i can't get over the thought of the pan sitting lower and gathering sharp debris and so on. so i figure, if i'm already welding on the pan, i may as well correct the angle and weld it all up.

of course the oil pump pick-up would have to be corrected as well.

anyone else thought of doing this, or tried this already?

sampletegi 02-23-2009 07:25 PM

Re: h2b/f2d oil pan

Had a discussion with Seth from QSD about this when i was ordering my H2B kit from him. He said to do just what you were thinking of doing. Cut the oil pan to compensate for the ten degrees of tilt and also tweak the oil pickup as well. The easiest way of solving the issue if you know how to cut and weld stuff.

RotiEatter 02-23-2009 08:02 PM

I lack the ability to weld. I'd love to see what you come up with though.

Dr. Willy 02-23-2009 08:28 PM

i am just going to do the bung weld thing... i know h2b's lose oil pressure around corners cause of how they sit now, so maybe your cutting and fixing will fix that.

hondamark35 02-24-2009 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Willy (Post 37529108)
i am just going to do the bung weld thing... i know h2b's lose oil pressure around corners cause of how they sit now, so maybe your cutting and fixing will fix that.

yeah, i've done the Kaizenspeed balance shaft elim. kit so i shouldn't have to worry about loss of oil pressure.

i think i'll try to find a spare pan to test first, just incase there's trouble... i think the pickup should be pretty straight-forward though.

Linh. 02-24-2009 08:05 PM

Would a baffle helpt out?

sciamutanna 02-24-2009 11:04 PM

But none of you has the bulkheads in the oil pan?

DSRxCandyh2bEG 02-25-2009 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sciamutanna (Post 37545590)
But none of you has the bulkheads in the oil pan?

What do you mean by Bulkheads in the oil pan? Baffles??

hondamark35 02-25-2009 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Linh. (Post 37543847)
Would a baffle helpt out?

the pan does have some baffles. more could help... "could"

adding baffles can be tricky if you don't have a good understanding of flow and supply demands. a missplaced, or oversized baffle can make things worse.

sciamutanna 02-25-2009 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by DSRxCandyh2bEG (Post 37547159)
What do you mean by Bulkheads in the oil pan? Baffles??

This...

It is the baffles?

Sorry but I'm italian and my english is orrible..

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/doo0T/9783.jpg

hondamark35 02-26-2009 08:14 AM

yes, that is a baffle.

that looks like aluminum... what material is that?

the pan i have came from the factory with a baffle similar to the one you have pictured. i'm working with a '99 F23A1.

sampletegi 02-26-2009 10:42 PM

Does anyone have a picture of the oil pick with it on the block?

Don't have my stand back yet so i cant take my block apart yet. Want to see if we can use the tilt for our advantage by adjusting only the pickup. If the pickup was rotated so that it sat in the now deeper portion of the pan we may be able to better prevent starvation and oil pressure changes.

My question is how much would the oil pressure affected by changing the length or route of the pickup?
My guess is that it wouldn't because of the oil pump being a constant draw, variable pressure due to rpm, allowing the system to "pull" the same amount of fluid.

Any Ideas?

hondamark35 02-28-2009 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by sampletegi (Post 37573877)
Does anyone have a picture of the oil pick with it on the block?

Don't have my stand back yet so i cant take my block apart yet. Want to see if we can use the tilt for our advantage by adjusting only the pickup. If the pickup was rotated so that it sat in the now deeper portion of the pan we may be able to better prevent starvation and oil pressure changes.

My question is how much would the oil pressure affected by changing the length or route of the pickup?
My guess is that it wouldn't because of the oil pump being a constant draw, variable pressure due to rpm, allowing the system to "pull" the same amount of fluid.

Any Ideas?

i'll have to look around to see if i took any pics while the pick-up was still on.

the best place for the pick-up is in the middle of the pan, pushing it to the deep side may not cause any issues, but you're not gaining anything. if you keep the oil level in spec, even in the sloped possition you shouldn't have starvation issues.

i do recall the pickup has a bracket that secures it to the block bridge. that would have to be cut and then modified to move from the center line location. possible, but i don't think there's much benefit.

sampletegi 03-01-2009 04:23 PM

The trouble of moving the pickup is not worth the effort if the pan stays at the same angle. I would of course rather just cut the pan and pickup and call it a day. Add a baffle like in the picture Sciamutanna posted above.
Hondamark your right about there being no benefit in moving the pickup to the deeper end. we still have the issue then of how the oil is going to move during acceleration and cornering. the middle of the pan is of course best for the pickup because of the oil moving around.