Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H23v obd2 distributor in obd1 civic wiring PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23v obd2 distributor in obd1 civic wiring PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys, im putting an h23v blue top. H2B into my 94 del sol. Im trying to use the internal coil distributor 8 pin that the motor came with but i cant figure out the wiring, ive done so much research to the point that i can honestly say i can not find the correct information. Ive followed a few obd1 distrutor into an obd2 8 pin engine harness, they are very close but when i follow that wiring diagram my cars check engine light stays and and no spark. Everything came from a known good car, i just removed my single cam over the weekend and it ran great, so i kno my harness and ecu are both good. Please get back to me with any information you can find or know of. thank you

remember im using a obd2 h23v internal coil distributor into my obd1 94 civic del sol single cam wiring harness. thank you.

Im leaning toward getting a new harness, vtec, and getting a obd1 h23 nonv distributor. but if i dont have to i dont want to resort to.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23v obd2 distributor in obd1 civic wiring PLEASE HELP!

For the OBD2 distributor, that's easy to convert also. You need to add a spade connector onto the ignitor for the RPM lead. It is on the side of the ignitor with nothing connected to it. Then you tap/splice into the black/yellow wire and bring it to the possitive coil lead. The negative coil lead goes to the ignitor pin closest to the coil next to the black/yellow lead. Repin it for obd1 (or obd2) plugs and you're set. You can also convert it to external coil, and follow any of the write-up's found on google.

i found this information, can anyone verify if this is correct?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not a OBD2 guru but since your obd1, I would get a OBD1 distributor for the reason I believe OBD2 distributors you cannot tune with the exhaust cam?
Old 05-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you but nobody has put an obd2 8 pin dizzy in a civic obd1 chasis. I know there something going on because the igniter is missing the green wire. just cant figure out the correct wiring.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I messed up when I posted that info. I originally was modding a JDM H23A distributor and converting another external-coil distributor to internal coil, and info for both got merged.

The only thing needed is to add the tach wire to the bare lead on the ignitor, then move the black/yellow wire from the 8-pin plug to the obd1 2-pin plug. It is the wire that internally connects to the ignitor's middle lead and the coil's positive lead.

I tested it to work on an F22 motor in an obd1 civic. Obviously I couldn't bolt it on, but i only ran it for a few seconds while it was held in place with a zip-tie. Again, it was just to test that I didn't mess any wiring up.

An obd1 dizzy is the easy way, but I wanted to reuse the JDM distributor since it had much newer OEM parts.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the answer to my question. the 8 pin jdm connect plugs directly into the obd1 civic harness, for the second smaller plug all you do is run a wire with a spade connect off the ignition module and depin the black/yellow wire on the obd2 alter plug. The new wire off the ignition module and the depined black/yellow wire make up the second smaller connector on the obd1 harness. thanks guys!

"If you started with an internal coil JDM H23A distributor, there's not much to change. It will already have the wiring work to the coil done.

First you have to add the RPM lead and connect it to one side of a 2-pin obd1 plug.

The other mod is to depin the black/yellow wire from the 8-pin connector and connect it to the other side of the 2-pin plug you added. This is the wire that connects to both the ignitor (middle lead) and coil (positive lead). The rest of the wires on the 8-pin plug should match up to the OBD1 connector."