Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H23a Vtec H2B halfshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23a Vtec H2B halfshaft question

So I recently bought an EG with with an H23 bluetop H2B swap in it as a project. The engine runs strong, but pretty much everything else needs some TLC. I just got a new hydro LS transmission in it this week and got it back on the road (It had a cable B16 that went out a few days after I got it.) And now I'm noticing that the drivers side axle binds quite a bit. I checked out the half shaft and it looks like I've got an SH3, which would explain the binding. Now I have two questions:

1. I've read that the seal where the halfshaft plugs into the tranny is a different size between the older cable transmissions and newer hydro ones, but everything seemed to fit together fine when I put the 94+ LS transmission on. I also haven't noticed any MTF leaking. Should I be concerned that the SH3 halfshaft is made for the larger seal size of the older cable transmissions?

2. Instead of getting a custom drivers side axle I think I'd rather just upgrade the halfshaft and axles to 94+ Integra halfshaft and axles, but I wanted to make sure the axles would work fine with my stock EG hubs. I'm also wondering about the seal on the transmission where the halfshaft plugs in. Did I f that up by using the SH3 halfshaft with the hydro transmission and will I need to replace it when I get the 94+ halfshaft?
Old 11-02-2014, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H23a Vtec H2B halfshaft question

So I did some more research and it looks like the B16 cable tranny and SH3 halfshaft use a seal with the dimensions of 40X56X8 which is the same as 90-93 Integra. The Newer 94-01 LS transmission I got uses a seal with the dimensions of 35X56X8. I also looked around under my car a bit and checked the transmission fluid level. It was a bit low and there was a decent amount of fluid on the bottom of the transmission so it looks like I jacked up the seal by forcing in the SH3 halfshaft causing some leaking. Also, as far as I can tell from poking around online, 94-01 Integra axles should work fine in my EG so I've got some ordered up along with a new halfhsaft and seal.

As usual, with a little time researching it looks like I've been able to answer my own questions. Sorry for cluttering up the forums, guys.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Steve at Heart

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just read this. Wondering why the PO used a cable trans as the 92-00 civics use hydraulic. Did you have to change the rear t bracket as well?
Old 11-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bently nailed it. Let's not drag this on any further than it needs to go, but I asked the same thing.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Just read this. Wondering why the PO used a cable trans as the 92-00 civics use hydraulic. Did you have to change the rear t bracket as well?
Sorry guys, haven't been on here in a while. To answer your question, the guy I bought it from was and idiot (for example, it took him four hours to find the pink slip when I showed up to buy the car) and the car was put together extremely sloppy. He built it for drag which is probably why he wanted the gearing of the b16. I'm not sure why anyone would use a cabe over a hydro tranny, but it was probably because of either price or availability since hydro b16s are supposedly kinda rare. The rear T bracket stayed the same, but I had to change the passenger side mount. He was using the Hasport hydro to cable conversion mount and slave cylinder bracket kit. It was janky af.