Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22a woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a woes

I have a 94 h22a engine installed in my 92 hatch. At first I love it then it start giving little problems that I can't fix for the life of me.

The first problem I encountered was that seemed like it would pull very weak to vtec and after. I got a few error codes all pointing to a bad distributor. I replaced the distributor and get rid of the error codes but the car never felt the same. I felt like it lost some power and don't know what is causing it.

A new problem I am encountering is that the car will bounce in and out of vtec a once or twice before engaging. Hard to explain, it goes on, off, stay on or on, off, on, off, stay on. Get what I am saying.

I have given the car a complete tune up. New cap & rotor, new distributor, new spark plugs, new oil and oil filter, new air filter, new fuel pump, and I even cleaned the vtec selonoid screen. The only error code that I have is the one for the EGR which I know causes no problems, I always had it like that.

The only thing that I haven't done is checked the compression and my dc 4-2-1 headers have a slight dent at the bottom (could this be the cause?). I will send pictures of the header small dent later.

What do you guys recomend? Any shop in socal that can diagnose these problems?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: h22a woes (SeaQuake)

replace the fuel filter,,,,, and get a fuel pressure regulator. it might be bogging cause it aint getting enough juice...... if youre not burning oil no need for compresion test.......

dropping in and out of vtec is very unusual you probably are hearing things wrong...... try a p72ecu instead

and have you hooked up your butterflys to a17
Old 05-03-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a woes (H23vtecEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23vtecEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace the fuel filter,,,,, and get a fuel pressure regulator. it might be bogging cause it aint getting enough juice...... if youre not burning oil no need for compresion test.......

dropping in and out of vtec is very unusual you probably are hearing things wrong...... try a p72ecu instead

and have you hooked up your butterflys to a17</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have to check on the fuel pressure regulator. The car has a weird fuel setup. It has the running ruel running and a nos namebrand fuel pump in the hood running at the same time.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:27 AM

After you replaced your dizzy, did you make sure your ignition timing was set correctly?
Old 05-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a woes (AudioFuct)

yea, bought a timing gun and learned to use it just for that reason. 15 degrees
Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 PM

What harness did you use? Did you manually wire up VTEC?

Sounds like a faulty ground, or a non-secured ground.

Check your grounds, check all wires making ssure there is no corrosion and all tight/secure connections. And make sure oil pressure is good (60 psi at vtec engagement)
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a woes (H23vtecEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by H23vtecEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Running a p72 on an h22 without hondata, or having it remapped is probably not the best idea. unless you like running LEAN.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a woes (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What harness did you use? Did you manually wire up VTEC?

Sounds like a faulty ground, or a non-secured ground.

Check your grounds, check all wires making ssure there is no corrosion and all tight/secure connections. And make sure oil pressure is good (60 psi at vtec engagement)</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i was thinking.... bad wire somewhere.