Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22a tune up w/o helms! need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 12:45 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a tune up w/o helms! need help!

ive replaced my water pump and is now on to working the timing belt, ive taken out the belt tensioner, but now i dont know how to put it back to gether(forgot), there 's this little thing with a boot and a piston like thing on top and on the bottom onf the piece its a nut, when i opened the nut, there's oil inside. ive consulted a friend, and he told me its a belt tensioner. question is....i cant push this piston thing down, so i can align the tensioners correctly. anyone know what im talkin about? im lookin for picsc, but i just cant find any. help!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Re: h22a tune up w/o helms! need help! (F120man)

The prelude and the civic helms was like my bible when I did my h22 swap, I broke down and bought both of them, I reccommend you do yourself a favor and buy at least the prelude one.

Now for replacing the timing belt:

Before installing the timing belt posistion the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys with the arrows pointed straight north basically.

Hold auto tensioner with the maintance bolt pointing up. Loosen and remove the maintence bolt.

The auto tensioner is what contains orl. If its spills replace will oil it should hold about 1/4 fl oz.

To compress the auto tensioner I used a metal c clamp. Honda sells a tool for it, called a Stopper.

The crankshaft has to postioned with the No. 1 piston TDC.

Align the groove on the front balancer shaft pulley with the pointer on the oil pump housing.

Align the rear balancer shaft pulley by using a 6 x 100 mm bolt or equivelant as an alighment tool. Scribe a lione 2.9 in from the end of the bolt. Insert the bolt into the maintence hole to the scribed line.

Loosen the adjusting nut and verify that the timing balancer belt adjust moves freely.

Install the timing balancer belt. Remove the 6 x 100 mm bolt from rear of balancer shaft.

Turn the crankshaft pulley about one turn, then tighten the adjusting nut to the specigied torque.

Both belt adjuster are spring loaded to properly tension the belts. Dont apply extra pressue to pulleys or tensioners while performing the adjustment.

I hope this helps you. I tried, but yet its hard without pictures, maybe someone has some pics for you.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:02 AM
New User

Default Re: h22a tune up w/o helms! need help! (junglerunna02)

thanks alot, i was figuring out how to compess the auto tensioner, now i know. but i still have to tdo the rest.. thannk
Old 06-19-2003, 06:55 AM

Default Re: h22a tune up w/o helms! need help! (F120man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F120man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks alot, i was figuring out how to compess the auto tensioner, now i know. but i still have to tdo the rest.. thannk</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your welcome I wish I had a scanner so it would make it easier to explian.