Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22A Swap info.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A Swap info.

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm pretty new to the whole import scene, so take it easy on me. =p

Anyway, let me tell you my situation. I recently bought a 94 Civic DX (coupe) for $1000, the motor in it is a little SOHC 1.5L (d15, yes?) So I'm thinking about doing a swap.

I've been researching swaps on the internet for about 2 months now, and I've found myself leaning towards the H22A. I dont want to do any high speed street racing, only quartermile for me. So I think this motor will fit me well. The only thing that I question about it is the reliability factor. I've read things about it being to heavy, snapping axles, not being able to lower the car, & etc.

So what I would like to do is just make a list of questions that you all can answer. (If willing to of course.) Here we go:

1. Has there been an axle/mount combo found that completely gets rid of the axles problems?

2. Is there a suspention setup that counterbalances the extra weight of the H22A?

3. Has anyone been able to lower their car without axle problems? (or problems with the oilpan)

Hmm... I swear I had atleast 10 questions to post here, but they've all seemed to escape at the moment. If you guys could answer these while I remember the rest, I would be very grateful. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:52 PM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (Reff)

Run DSS axles and lower your car around 1.5 maybe 2.0 inches. 90-03 teg axles were not made to handle the power of an H22 thats why they break. And the bigger the wheel and rim the more stress you place on the axles.

Run a higher spring rate in the front, most set ups offer custom rates. 94-up teg rates work fine.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:10 PM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (h22 civ)

Hey, thanks for the reply & info!

Two more questions: What's the URL (website) for the DSS Axle company? And, I've read that some brand of mounts (I forgot which brand) doesn't allow you to lower you car at all, because they mount the motor so low that it causes the oilpan to scrape. Which brand of mounts are these? (Also, if possible, could you post the mounts you've used and your experience with them?)

Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:48 PM

try the search function, this has been covered a million times!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:06 AM

lol I will be a little more helpful. If you want you can get the Hasport mounkit with DSS axles (www.driveshaftshop.com : Tell them Jason with the Type S sent ya and ask for Frank). Or you can use the HCP kit which is cheaper but does drop the engine lower than the Hasport.

I however have the car dropped nicely and have run into no scraping issues with the oil pan. And I am in NYC, knows as the city of potholes..

Old 01-14-2003, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (Jason kiDD)

Scraping the oil pan? The header is the first to hit. I know from experience.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (Specail Ed)

Jason...what up bro....is it on the streets yet...damn dawg...don't even hit up a n!gga anymore...holla at me when you get a chance man....
Old 01-14-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (92hybridAccord)

Yeah sorry man the car is on the road. Have been driving it around for a while now. Just waiting for it to get a little warmer before I repaint it. And then hopefully early next year its all about turbo.. hehe
Old 01-14-2003, 11:48 AM

H22EK: I tried using the search, but I didn't find anything that could directly answer my questions. Sorry if these have been asked before, I just want to be completely sure that everything will work out before I start handing out the cash. =\

Jason KiDD: Thanks for the info man! I have three more questions that you would know how to answer. What are the differences between the normal H22, and the Type S? Is the extra money for the Type S worth it in your opinion? and, Where might I find a Type S motor for sale?

Old 01-14-2003, 11:54 AM

Jason KiDD: Thanks for the info man! I have three more questions that you would know how to answer. What are the differences between the normal H22, and the Type S? Is the extra money for the Type S worth it in your opinion? and, Where might I find a Type S motor for sale?
Hmmn well where to start. Way back 2 years ago when I bought my engine swaps were just starting to gain popularity so I was able to get it for around 3,200. It was a 98 Engine with LSD and under 40k miles. Is it worth it to get one now?? I would have to say no because the price for them have gone up substantially and for the same money you can buy a regular h22 and build it past the extra 20hp you get from the Type S. That is my honest opinnion. Would I sell my engine... hehe Hells no. But for someone just starting I would do the latter route and just a nice JDM h22.

If you are determined though you can get one from most swap stores online. Just do a search.

And the major differences between the two are cams, pistons, factory port and polish, sometimes factory LSD if you are lucky, and intake chamber (which is probably not used in the swap anyways)
Old 01-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H22 Get your motor from either http://www.importautosalvage.com or Hmotorsonline.com. I got mine from HMO.. They were pretty good to me.. I've heard a few grumblings about them lately though.. I'm using the HCP kit, and Accord intermediate shaft, 90 teg driver side axle and 89 teg pass axle. I got them from Advance with a lifetime warranty, so if they break, they break. I get a free one that day!
I just got the JDM h22A w/ LSD. OBD1 of course. Good luck! *EDIT* check my sig for pics, if ya want. hit up Jason, JDMDXturd, Poison, Newman, H22EK, me, fastwanabe, or any of the ohter H22 Hatch guys for help.

[Modified by EK22Tim, 9:46 PM 1/14/2003]

[Modified by EK22Tim, 2:18 AM 1/15/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 02:09 PM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (EK22Tim)

Use the Hasport kit. You do not want that engine near the ground!

I had the Type-S in my old hybrid and while it is a nice engine, like it has already been said, it is not worth the money now that it is such a sought after motor. Shops around here are doing the Type-S swaps for almost $6000! Totally too much IMHO.

I had axel breakage problems really bad after I built my engine up. What I did was have a local shop fab me some custom axels. They were about $400/axel, but they were the best investment I ever made on that car. I ended up with about 435whp so that was my problem. If you are not going to go that far then you might want to see if there is anyone in your area that could build you aome axels. It is usually cheaper.

As far as the suspension goes, you are just going to have to get used to hving more weight up there. But to be totally honest, it really doess not make that much of a difference unless you are racing it on a road course. All I did was install some Knoni adjustables, upgraded the sway bars and installed Suspension Techniques springs. This seemed to be fine. I also relocated the battery to the trunk and replaced the hood with a carbon fiber hood. This reclaimed some of the weight that I added and helped out a bit. And the H22 is only about 60lbs heavier then a B18 anyway so it is really not a factor in street driving.

[Modified by jacobyb, 11:11 PM 1/14/2003]
Old 01-14-2003, 02:47 PM

Can you use the axles that hmo sends you with the swap?
Old 01-14-2003, 03:17 PM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (junglerunna02)

NOt in a civic. Most axles included in an H22 swap are from a prelude.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:19 PM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (junglerunna02)

I believe not, I think they just send you stock preludes.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jason, JDMDXturd, Poison, Newman, H22EK, me, or any of the ohter H22 Hatch guys for help.

man I get no love in here? BTW you can ask me questions too!!
Old 01-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (fastwanabe)

Fastwanabe, you get the love. Sorry, man, I knew I'd forget somebody!!! Actually, you're the latest to bail me out, so I really REALLY shoulda not forgotten you! sorry bro. Here's a few E-Beers do ya forgive me??
Old 01-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha. nice! I was just kidding, and yes you are forgiven!! BTW when the hell are you going to lower your car?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (fastwanabe)

Thank you. If you'll notice, I edited the first post and added your name as a contact.
as for the lowering, I hope soon.. I'd like to paint the spoiler and sideskirts, as well as my front bumper.. there are some major scratches on it. I also need to get my NX kit installed...
Hey.. can I borrow some money or springs? Maybe we can start a fund for the poor In-the-clouds H22EK? Think it'll work?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:39 AM

Nah but nice try though..
Old 01-15-2003, 05:46 AM

Hum..... Well i think H22's suck. Thats why mine is for sale and im getting a new motor. ha.. Well i really dont think they suck but i am selling it and getting a new motor, but now since ive taken the motor back out and have had the tranny out of the car once this is a really easy swap and i feel like i know pretty much every aspect to it. I am tearing my engine down sometime this weekend hopefully and then fixing and selling it. Wish me luck with the sale.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:32 AM

Default Re: H22A Swap info. (jacobyb)

Use the Hasport kit. You do not want that engine near the ground!

I had the Type-S in my old hybrid and while it is a nice engine, like it has already been said, it is not worth the money now that it is such a sought after motor. Shops around here are doing the Type-S swaps for almost $6000! Totally too much IMHO.

I had axel breakage problems really bad after I built my engine up. What I did was have a local shop fab me some custom axels. They were about $400/axel, but they were the best investment I ever made on that car. I ended up with about 435whp so that was my problem. If you are not going to go that far then you might want to see if there is anyone in your area that could build you aome axels. It is usually cheaper.

[Modified by jacobyb, 11:11 PM 1/14/2003]
I would really like to know you got 435whp from the Type S motor. I assume it has to be with FI. Details please of course..