Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22a swap on a 92-94 eg please help..!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22a swap on a 92-94 eg please help..!

Hello all...! im looking to swap an h22a motor in a 92-94 hatch. im new to this stuff and dont have any idea what to do, and im asking for anyone here to please help me out. i really dont know anything about cars so please any info will be greatly appreciated. im looking to buy a hatch and possibly swap an h22a motor in that car so here goes:
1. how much money am i looking to spend for a swap like this?
2. how does an h22a swap compare to a b16 or b18 swap? weight difference?
3. what kind of suspension am i going to need?
4. will i encounter any problems with such a big engine in a small car? understeer? oversteer?
5. with a pretty good suspension system, will that be sufficient enough to support that engine? whats the timeframe b4 i encounter any problems with suspension?
6. i've never been in a car with this kind of swap, will it be hard to drive an eg with an h22 motor?
7. last, will this car pull hard with that engine?

I know i've asked way too much...and im pretty sure i'll get answers telling me to search, but i've done that, i jst need to ask specific questions on the task im bringing myself into...PLease bear with me and HELP me out...Thanks to every1 that will give time to reply to this post...
Old 06-25-2004, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: h22a swap on a 92-94 eg please help..! (GokuSs4)

ill answer question #1

it will cost a but load of cash cuz it seems like you would prolly have to pay someone to swap the engine for you. then theres suspension, exhaust... the list goes on.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22a swap on a 92-94 eg please help..! (kabaroo)

To pay to have someone to do the swap alone with all parts will cost you about $4-5000 and then the price of the car lets say about $3-3500.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all you ever wanted to know: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=650329

sticky on the top of the hybrid page
Old 06-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all you ever wanted to know: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=650329

sticky on the top of the hybrid page</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. how does an h22a swap compare to a b16 or b18 swap? weight difference?
3. what kind of suspension am i going to need?
4. will i encounter any problems with such a big engine in a small car? understeer? oversteer?
5. with a pretty good suspension system, will that be sufficient enough to support that engine? whats the timeframe b4 i encounter any problems with suspension?
6. i've never been in a car with this kind of swap, will it be hard to drive an eg with an h22 motor?
7. last, will this car pull hard with that engine?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
2. it doesnt compare, the h22 is in its own class *gets fire suit ready* weight diff - not much heavier, some of these other guys will have exact specs on weight differences for u.
3.stiffer springs are better. good shocks. aftermarket rear sway bar helps alot too.
4. answer #3 fixes this too.
5.yes. timeframe? no timeframe if all ur suspension parts are good and new.
6.no, it will be fun.
7. YES.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: (hondaZvic)

thank' so much for replying every1...! i really appreciate it.. i wanna know more about this stuff first before i jump into it...i really have no clue when it comes to cars, and i rely on every1 here for help, so thank you for answering my questions...$4-5k is what im looking to spend? wow didnt think it'll be that much..! what about the tranny, axles, and all that stuff, does that come with the engine? will this be a good car to drive daily, and i mean daily about 15-25 miles a day, school work and other stuff...? kinda worried on how its going to handle, coz ive never seen and eg with h22z in it...im really going for it this time...my bro's going to trade my 97lude in for something else...i had a turbo kit on that one once, but never worked out, got fuct by the shop, installed the whole thing wrong and messed up my car...thats y its running like crap rite now..so yah once my bro trades that in ima go get my hatch and do the swap....and im selling my turbo kit as well, im no longer going boost, didnt work out for me so im giving up on that...it was a drag gen3 for non sh lude's...so please bear with me if i ask alot....thanks again everybody......
Old 06-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GokuSs4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about the tranny, axles, and all that stuff, does that come with the engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

a tranny should come with ur engine, it would save u alot of hassle if a tranny came with ur engine.
axles may come with it.. but u will either have to break them down and use parts of them to make ur own or just buy custom axles. prelude axles wont work in a civic.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will this be a good car to drive daily, and i mean daily about 15-25 miles a day, school work and other stuff...? </TD></TR></TABLE>

15-25 miles a day? thats it? thats not much at all.. just as long as u use all the rite parts and the swap is done correctly. u should have no problems.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda worried on how its going to handle, coz ive never seen and eg with h22z in it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

like i said before.. as long as u get new stiffer springs and have good shocks (preferrably new) it'll handle like a champ. if ur gonna be doing auto-x and stuff. u might wanna research what kind of springs and rates u would need as well as a what rear sway bar would work best for u.
but if ur just gonna use this as ur daily driving car.. u could get some springs like me, i have the progress springs. (h22/civic specifically) offer a very smooth comfortable ride.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks again everybody...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, good job hondaZvic
Old 06-25-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbogixxer)

im learning. lol
Old 06-25-2004, 12:42 PM

thanks every1...im here at work and im printing out everything i can find out about this swap..! hahaha one thread about handling issues, about how wiring works, and bunch of other stuff including 1/4 times....thanks again for helping me out and having the patience to read my post...so far i have nearly 136 pages printed out from this forum....im still searching for more....hondazvic, thanks alot..! and to every1 else, thanks again...!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so far i have nearly 136 pages printed out from this forum</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:40 PM

hello again...! jst got off the phone with this guy selling his 92si...i really think its a pretty good price, im going to check it out tomorrow and see if we can work something out...im really going for it this time...a few more questions pls have patience...help me make this work for me....
1. when i end up getting the car, i plan to go to hmotorsonline for the engine. is this a good place to go to, pricewise and products.?
2. what kind of ecu do i need to get?
3. axles, what modification do i need to do if a prelude axle wont fit an eg? or can i jst buy one that will fit?
4.do i need to do anything with the break system?
5. what spring rate would u guys recommend, shocks, struts?
thanks again guys.....!
Old 06-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hello again...! jst got off the phone with this guy selling his 92si...i really think its a pretty good price, im going to check it out tomorrow and see if we can work something out...im really going for it this time...a few more questions pls have patience...help me make this work for me....
1. when i end up getting the car, i plan to go to hmotorsonline for the engine. is this a good place to go to, pricewise and products.?
2. what kind of ecu do i need to get?
3. axles, what modification do i need to do if a prelude axle wont fit an eg? or can i jst buy one that will fit?
4.do i need to do anything with the break system?
5. what spring rate would u guys recommend, shocks, struts?
thanks again guys.....!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
1. hmotorsonline is great from what i hear i would buy from them if i needed an engine.
2. should prolly go for an obd1 p13. make sure its a 5speed, not automatic.
3.for axles.. go to http://www.driveshaftshop.com to see all the info, i think they make the best ones. but u can get them cheaper from a wholesaler or someone...
4.the swap wont effect ur brakes at all.. however, it would be wise to go ahead and put new rotors/pads/ bleed the system if u can... never hurts.
5.what do u plan to do with the car? just daily drive? some 1/4 mile? auto-x?
Old 06-25-2004, 04:52 PM

thanks for all the info...you've been very helpful...! it will be a daily driven car, and probably bring it to the track once a while.... whats the diff between putting an h22a on an eg body and an h22a on an ek body.....? will an ek be better since the cars a little bit bigger...? 1/4 mile times on these? but gotta love those eg's man...! those cars are freakin beautiful...!
Old 06-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem..

i like the ek better, but then again, i may be biased...

how do u want ur car to ride? want it to be really stiff and not sway at all? if so, its gonna be so bouncy it'll prolly rattle ur teeh out of ur head.

or do u want it to be really smooth. hence a daily driver.

i have the progress h22civic springs.. i like these alot cuz they make my car feel really smooth. i dont bounce all over the place. i think the rates on them are like 350f/200r. --$150.ish....
i think ground control makes custom spring rates for like 300ish...

or if u got the cheese.. go buy some tien or tanabe fully threaded coilovers. for like $$1G.

when comparing the eg to the ek. i think most eg's are lighter than most ek's.... usually an eg will be cheaper than an ek, cuz its older obviously.. but when u pick one.. i think it should all be personal preferance really. whatever u like.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:01 PM

If you get it from Hmotors its probably better to buy the complete swap.... if you just get the motor you have to hunt down for shift cable, axles, intermediate shaft and maybe misc little things that you may need..... believe me the complete swap deal is better then piecing together like i did....the only thing is you can't use with the complete swap is the stock prelude axles unless you plan on using pieces with the integra axles and the motor mounts, wiring has to be modified..

overall i think i came too atleast 4500 and thats no labor (motor misc parts)because i did the swap.. and thats with discount on new Honda parts!!!

i think a GSR swap would come up to the same cost

my b16 2nd gen came to around 3500 (no labor) motor and misc parts

Note: "cost of swap may vary depending on your knowledge and connections"
these numbers are close to what i came up too when the swaps were done..

EG 95 si.. b16A 2nd gen est 3500 with misc parts
EG 93 cx.. H22A est 4500 with misc parts
CRX 88si B16A 1600 total
EK 98 civic.. H22A 4700 with misc parts

if done at shops your looking at atleast 800+ depending on who you knoe
do your search before buying because that will save you time and money in the long run, if possible ask what doesnt come with the complete swap so you knoe what you'll need..... good luck...

when you do it...... do it right the first time! no compromises or else you'll have to pull things back apart (no fun)

Modified by spooned out at 3:30 AM 6/26/2004
Old 06-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaZvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3.for axles.. go to http://www.driveshaftshop.com to see all the info, i think they make the best ones. but u can get them cheaper from a wholesaler or someone...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can also make your own axles or use stock axles.

There is the set-ups:

- 90-93 accord intermediate shaft with 90-93 integra axles. This is plug and play. You do not need to change any CV cup. But, this is the combo that is the longest. If you car is lowered a bit, they will must likely bind (not saying all the time, but the chances are higher than others).

- 92-96 prelude intermediate shaft with 90-93 integra axles. You will at least have to make a custom axle (take the teg inner CV cup off and put the lude inner CV cup on the teg axle) for the driver side. The prelude uses a male intermediate shaft, the accord and teg uses a female. If you are going to do that, switch out the passenger teg inner CV cup for the lude inner CV cup, so that you have less chance of bind. Now, if it still binds, 86-89 integra axles are 1/4" shorter than 90-93 teg. That 1/4" will give you the clearance (most likely) that you need to stop the bind. Try to run the prelude inner CVs if possible.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was waiting for that one kenny.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:27 AM

cool thanks alot for all your help...! lots of stuff to think about...i think im ready for this.....gonna plan my way into this first so i dont go broke hehe.....but i really think im ready....and i really want this to work out......man i cant wait...i'll post some more as soon as i get things started.....thanks alot every1...!
Old 06-26-2004, 07:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GokuSs4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool thanks alot for all your help...! lots of stuff to think about...i think im ready for this.....gonna plan my way into this first so i dont go broke hehe.....but i really think im ready....and i really want this to work out......man i cant wait...i'll post some more as soon as i get things started.....thanks alot every1...! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was in your shoes about a little over a year ago. I didnt know crap about anything and i certainly didnt know the first thing about swapping an h22a. So.......i spent a good month or 2 just reading and reading and searching and searching this entire board (archives and all) until i was able to piece together all the info i needed. I spoke to several of the resident guru's (poison, newman, gixxer), got a few honda grease monkeys from around my way and went to town.

There is an h22 swap "guide" so to speak that poison put together that really helped out alot. You'd should try and get ahold of that.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:22 AM

Default Re: (AudioFuct)

here is my cost with the price of the car....

$6,035.75.....this includes every gasket, belt, lube, tunning, from head to toe internally and the long block.

No labor charge except for the machine work