Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22a obd1 /96+ civic wiring nightmare....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H22a obd1 /96+ civic wiring nightmare....

I only have a 96DX automatic harness (car was auto) converted it to standard, and now have to install an obd1 motor with it...

the motors installed and everything.... i'm just doing the wiring for now.. and since the motors' obd1 and 96+ civics have a one peice harness, i had to cut all the pigtails (ecu clips that go in the ecu) and put some i got from a junkyard from a 92-95 civic and add the missing pins.. now for the main harness, i cut and remove the extra sensors i had for the automatic tranny (shifter selenoids and such) and how i am working my way to change the plug ins for the 0bd2 stuff to obd1 and i also changed the injector plugs from obd2's to obd1's.

I have the Altenator left to do, and make sure all the wires are long enough... basically shreding two harness to make one work.. sicne my h22a JDM harness was cut up badly and well my civic one is one peice...

did anybody doing h22a/96+ civic swaps encounter the same problems ?

or am i doing this wrong ?

right now .. the harness goes in the on the motor, and around and looks complete stock looking and very professionally done, which is good, no open wires and hack job, both ends of the harnesses attach to the body and look like it cam like that from the factory..

but did everybody have to do this ? i understand mine was automatic and obd2 which made matters worse but just like to get some feedback on how you guys did it ?

Old 07-16-2003, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22a obd1 /96+ civic wiring nightmare.... (HotWheelz)

not really understanding your question...but yes i did obd1 h22 swap into 96 civic dx...pretty much had to rewire everything, this is not uncommon.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:49 AM

Yeap although I had a good h22 harness that was already converted to use in my previous 91 Accord I still had to hack it all to **** just for parts for the civic harness...
Old 07-17-2003, 01:26 PM

i put a obd1 h22a in a 97 coupe a couple months ago. what you have to do is take your stock harness, and change out some of the plugs and extend some of the wiring to reach the same spot in the h22. then we put in a obd2 - obd1 adapter and a p28 (i think, 92-95 ecu) and everything was mint.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (mister2racer)

if you cut off the plugs that go into the ecu, i feel really sorry for you....... unless you are a wiring master. you should have paid the 160 bucks and bought a obd2-obd1 conversion.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackedoutcivic)

I had one, but didn't like the idea, of ECU - harness - harness - sensors...

to many possiblities of bad connections etc..

so i removed the middle man.. only took 3 hours, solder and shrink wrap works great...

also i was abled to remove alot of wires and useless **** on the obd2 harness...

now the only thing i learned is the mt tranny's have a reverse switch i think, and my harness was automatic so i gotta add the wires so i have reverse lights.. since h22a's are cable ...

Old 07-17-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Re: H22a obd1 /96+ civic wiring nightmare.... (HotWheelz)

Usually an OBD2a to OBD1 would work, but converting manually is definitely time consuming.

I can supply all the pinouts if you need and wire colors with 'em. You would just have to match up the sensors to the according pinout on an OBD1 ECU which I'm sure you knew.

There are 55 working pinout wires that go to the P13 ECU (including IAB and EGR), and only some of them will match up.

If you need pinouts to any sensor or anything, just keep us posted and I can get you the OBD1 pinout right here
Old 07-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a obd1 /96+ civic wiring nightmare.... (poison)

i'm actually using a p28 ecu (hondata) so i only ran the sensors the p28 had, everything else was omited.

I have a Single runner Modified Euro-type-R manifold that has no EGR, and no butterflies.. so i don't need the p-13 anymore...

the only thing i'm worried now is my car was automatic, I converted it to standard, now i have a delima, there are two wires on teh h22a tranny, i think it's for the reverse selector switch (to turn your bakc up lights on) well where do i pin those out to work...

my automatic harness doesn't have that....

(that is where i would need help)

everything else is wired etc...

(pics soon)