Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help!

Hey guys,
Im at the end of my first H22a swap in a EG. Ok the vehicle cranks ok, it has both fuel and spark but will still not start. No check engine light at all. It will crank and then kinda bog like it wants to stop and crank the other direction. The timing belt and balance shaft belt are both dead on along with known good dist. and known good coil and igniter unit. Im running the Hasport wiring harness and have blocked off the EGR valve. Any other further ideas or help? I also keep fouling out the plugs from fuel due to long cranking but I clean the plugs and try again and still no go. Anything would help at this point guys. Thanks in advance!
Andy

Old 11-11-2002, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help! (BigBank420)

try taking the distributor cap off. there might be water in it. mine did the EXACT same thing. crank, spark, fuel, but not starting.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help! (BigBank420)

which distributor and ecu are u using?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:49 PM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help! (hondaZvic)

which distributor and ecu are u using?

and are you throwing any codes?

also make sure your O2 sensor is properly wired up as well.

the motor will not start if the O2 sensor is not wired properly due to the computer not knowing how hot/cold the motor is, which it needs to know in order to send the right air/fuel mixtures.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help! (ranta18)

try taking the distributor cap off. there might be water in it. mine did the EXACT same thing. crank, spark, fuel, but not starting.
mine had the same symptons but it ended up being the firing order. maybe check that.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:08 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help! (Kp_VtekNiks)

Where is your distributor as far as timing goes??? Is it all the way towards the firewall or towards the front of the car??? Make sure you have it all the towards the radiator. if you have it to far advanced it wont start. Also check the cam gears and make sure they are dead on. It has to be a timing issue. Oh and poison the car will start with a bad o2. My car has a o2 code right now cause i have a bad one and i drive it like 80 miles a day. Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help! (jDmDxTuRd)

Im running a JDM internal coil dist. Ive had the dist. completely apart due to old dist. was shelled out and had to convert internals from a 92 accord vtec dist. My timing is also dead on at the gears. I also just tried the dist. retard towards the radiator along with changing plugs due to old ones fuel fouled from so many attempts to start and still nothing. I am getting no codes at all. I almost wish I was so I could have some sort of idea whats going on. Im gonna try and charge the battery for a whileto make sure cranking juice is adequate and then see what happens. I work at a independant repair shop during the day and have been picking the brains of my techs the last few days. Man this is frustrating. Any other help or ideas would be great.

Thanks for everything so far.
Andy
Old 11-12-2002, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (BigBank420)

aye.. i went through this same thing... lemme tell u my story.. and u can compare... i have a 2000 h22 (US ). i originally took apart the dist and put in the internals from a 92-93 accord.. after doing all of this and nothing happening.. i put the original dist. back on with the external coil back on there as well.. i rewired EVERYTHING and ran the distributor wires to thier correct locations on the ecu, power, etc etc... then we figured out that my firing order was off.... (didnt know why)... then we figured out how my car was trying to fire.. and put the spark plug wires in the positions we thought were right..( this was a different arrangement then what is in the manuals) (and with new spark plugs also/due to being fouled out) and then boom. the car started. but it was weird that the firing order changed like it had.. then after driving the car for a while w/ revving problems.. we took a closer look at the distributor.. and when i put it all back together the first time.. i had the shaft turned a complete 180*... this is why my firing order was off.. (duh rite )

anyway.. now all is good...u might wanna try the original distributor that is supposed to come with that motor.. and double check that everything is in like it is supposed to be.
hope this helps
Old 11-15-2002, 04:52 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (hondaZvic)

Update*
I tried acouple of other items. First I brought everything to TDC and double checked where the rotor was pointing and started my #1 plug from their. The proceeded to run the 1-3-4-2 firing order and then tried to start it. It actually sounds like it wants to start but still won't. It does not back fire or bog it just cranks for a second and the fires for a moment and then nothing. I also tried the 180 degrees off thing and yes it was so I turned it back and still the same thing. Any other ideas guys.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-15-2002, 07:06 AM

Hum ....you should take a big can of carb cleaner or wd-40 and spray it in the TB. then see if it starts. Your injectors could be clogged and not spraying. This happened to me on a h23 one time. I had power at the injectors, spark , etc but it would not start. I sprayed some wd-40 in the TB and it fired up. I then changed out the injecotors and it fired right up. So it sounds like those injectors arent spraying. Youn can do the carb cleaner trick or actually take an injector out and turn the key to see if it sprays. Good luck
Old 11-15-2002, 08:29 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (jDmDxTuRd)

Hum ....you should take a big can of carb cleaner or wd-40 and spray it in the TB. then see if it starts. Your injectors could be clogged and not spraying. This happened to me on a h23 one time. I had power at the injectors, spark , etc but it would not start. I sprayed some wd-40 in the TB and it fired up. I then changed out the injecotors and it fired right up. So it sounds like those injectors arent spraying. Youn can do the carb cleaner trick or actually take an injector out and turn the key to see if it sprays. Good luck
very good advise

I had to do the same thing, only my resistor harness wasn't all the way plugged in, we sprayed stater fluid and was starting. that's when we found out injectors weren't spraying....

if you are getting spark and it's cranking, throw some starter fluid in there.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (poison)

I had the exact same thing happen with clogged injectors. Plugs and injectors were firing, but no fuel was getting through. Take them out and clean them, it might do the trick. You do have an injector resistor wired in right?
Old 11-16-2002, 04:27 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (Specail Ed)

there is one year jap h22a distrib that doesnt have the right firing order. I know this is almost impossible to belive, but its on my car <-- mine did the same thing and then we just decided to start going with different firing config esp after i pulled the wiring harness apart 2 times then built a custom harness. Look just check the firing order and change it, ill post what i think it is tonight. After we changed it was fine. Also make sure your tps and map arent switched. if u have an afc installed that will be easy

[Modified by 1320in11, 1:30 PM 11/16/2002]
Old 11-16-2002, 11:54 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (1320in11)

Update*
Ok I started double checking firing order and such with all plugs out and valve cover off. Firing order is the same 1-3-4-2 but TDC is different and #1 starts at a different spot then all other dist. Put everything back to together and boom the damn thing started but not very easy. The car idles terrible and has no throttle response. So I messed with dist. timing and found it to run better with timing all the way advanced. Which is and should not be right. So after a ton of head scratching I have found the dist. shaft in the JDM model dist. is about apporx. 90 degrees off compared to the 92 accord vtec dist. internals that I installed. Has anyone had this same problem. If you match up the shafts from the old shelled out JDM dist. and the accord dist. they are different causing most of the running problems. We did try using a old dist. rotor and forcing it on the shaft to make it line up better and the vehicle actually runs good but not perfect. Any ideas on this guys? Do you think I need to start searching for a very rare JDM dist. or is their another USDM dist. that I can try using?
Also after started I am getting code #3 and #36. Now #3 is manifold pressure code(MAP sensor). OK I was not aware of installing a MAP sensor due to Hasport wiring harness did not include a plug for this. So we hard wired a pigtail and took a MAP sensor from a 92 cx and ran a vacuum line from sensor to manifold but still a code showing. Any ideas on this. I think this whole dist. issue might be part of the problem causing this light but not sure. Now the code #36 is something I couldn't find in any of my manuals. Also for some reason my 92-95 civic helms decided to disappear on me so if anyone could get me some info on this code that would be great. Thanks alot guys for all you help and info. The drama still goes on.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are u running a jdm p13? if u are i believe the code 36 is traction control. i have the same thing.. it doesnt hurt the car at all.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:53 PM

Yes it is the JDM p13 and thats good to know the code is OK. Any other ideas on the dist.?

Thanks
Andy
Old 11-16-2002, 05:59 PM

Old 11-17-2002, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on ur dist... explain exactly what u are using for the distributor?
Old 11-18-2002, 05:06 AM

hondaZvic:
Here's what happened. The old dist. that came on the motor was found to have the bearing shelled out in it so it was no good. So I swapped the internals from a 92 accord vtec dist and coverted the wiring to a internal coil like the original JDM dist. was. Now after getting the vehicle started have found the dist. shaft from the accord dist. is approx. 90 degrees or so off compared to the original dist. Now really what I need to know is their any other US dist. I can use that will have this same shaft or will I need to take one for the team and find a JDM dist. ?
Also what I mean by the shaft being wrong is the dowel pin hole that hold the piece that goes into the cam is 90 degrees off compared to the JDM model. Basically the car runs but very badly. We did force a old rotor on the dist and turned it to about were it should be and the motor ran halfway decent but still not perfect. Any ideas or answers to this would be great. Thanks again for everyones help.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-18-2002, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there any way to kill that code? I have a JDM P13, with NO CEL, surprisingly, and just started it for the first time last night.. I think my CEL's busted.. My tach doesn't work either... sorry to bump in your thread, but thought I'd ask, since I doubt any of us have traction control?
Old 11-18-2002, 06:42 AM

To solve all your problems since the distributor shafter seems to be incompatible you can use an ODB I distro off an integra or older model prelude if you wish.. And then if you wanted to again you could convert to an external coil.. As for your MAP signal. Unless you fix that your car will run like **** and whenever you press on the gas it'll either stall or misfire.. The best thing for you to do is switch the two outer wires on the plug and see if that solves your problem. For some reason I think some JDM engines have reversed wiring as well.. Just try it, working for me..
Old 11-18-2002, 07:09 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (EK22Tim)

EK22tim,
I think the code 36 is just a code that doesn't give a check engine light. The reason I found it was due to the map sensor problem I was experiencing. I think theirs no way to fix this code. Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Aaaah. cooool. thanks very much! Sure does.
Old 11-18-2002, 10:59 AM

Default Re: H22a, No start,but s OK,need help! (EK22Tim)

Old 11-18-2002, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bigbank, this is just from personal experience.. i dont think its good to use an ACCORD distributor on a PRELUDE engine... i tried it.. it never worked.. if i were u.. i would either get a jdm h22 distributor.(which i know is hard to find, however i see them on ebay from time to time) or use a USDM external coil distributor for the h22..

Quick Reply: H22a, No start,but cranks OK,need help!