Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 vs K20 pics? Other questions, RWD related...

Old 10-01-2004, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default H22 vs K20 pics? Other questions, RWD related...

Ok. The RWD del Sol motor needs a rebuild, and if Im going to go through the trouble of yanking everything, it better be for a better reason than a "rebuild".

Ive found a couple of K motors semi-locally, and have begun the long research process. So, heres a few questions to hopefully ease things along for me...

First, does anyone have any pictures of the H22 and any K motor INSTALLED, one vs the other? What I need to know is how far forward does the K motor sit in relation to the H motor?
The reason this is critical is because I do not have much room to work with...

As it sits, I have about .75" between the alternator and the firewall. I can re-do the firewall, but I do not want to re-do the cage.

Next, I have an AWESOME set of Gator racing Stage 3(S2 outers) axles. I would love to re-use as much of them as possible. From what I understand, the only modifications would be to use K tranny input shaft on the tranny side? These are 2nd gen Teg axles, so the lengths may be way off anyway, this is why Im asking. I can shift the engine left-right during the install, because I will be building my own mounts.

Next, are the shift cables similar between the K and H trannies? Im not worried about lengths, but the actual Transmission Ends, are they the same? From pictures/swaps that I have seen, they are close, but again, just asking.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-01-2004, 06:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: H22 vs K20 pics? Other questions, RWD related... (Tinker219)

Originally Posted by Tinker219
Ok. The RWD del Sol motor needs a rebuild, and if Im going to go through the trouble of yanking everything, it better be for a better reason than a "rebuild".

Ive found a couple of K motors semi-locally, and have begun the long research process. So, heres a few questions to hopefully ease things along for me...

First, does anyone have any pictures of the H22 and any K motor INSTALLED, one vs the other? What I need to know is how far forward does the K motor sit in relation to the H motor?
The reason this is critical is because I do not have much room to work with...

As it sits, I have about .75" between the alternator and the firewall. I can re-do the firewall, but I do not want to re-do the cage.

Next, I have an AWESOME set of Gator racing Stage 3(S2 outers) axles. I would love to re-use as much of them as possible. From what I understand, the only modifications would be to use K tranny input shaft on the tranny side? These are 2nd gen Teg axles, so the lengths may be way off anyway, this is why Im asking. I can shift the engine left-right during the install, because I will be building my own mounts.

Next, are the shift cables similar between the K and H trannies? Im not worried about lengths, but the actual Transmission Ends, are they the same? From pictures/swaps that I have seen, they are close, but again, just asking.

Thanks for the help!
The shift cables are different. You will need to use RSX ones.

I have many pics of k20a installed with hasport mounts, homemade mounts, etc...

As far as the axles, it really depents where your motor will be at.

For comparison here are some EK k20a axles, EG, and GSR axles. ( the ones with the tags are the EK ones)

these are the DSS axles HASPORT sells

the JDM DC5-R axles are longer than the RSX axles

REad how hondata did their axles here http://hondata.com/racecar/k20a.htm

Note where he says

Axles

Axles are easy since the B and K series both use the same size axle and same number of splines. The inner CV from the K20A should be used, with either a B or K series axle, and the B series outer CV. Due to the left and right axles for a K series engine being different lengths, it is possible to get axles in roughly 10mm increments in length. The longest axle is from the JDM DC5 (this has a wider track than the US DC5), followed by the US DC5, then EP3, then B18C and then the accord axle is the shortest.

I tried to get the axles to position the inner tripod as far in the CV as possible, so that it would be less likely to distort. Carefully measuring the axle lengths and assembling without CV boots, I found that two left hand JDM DC5 axles fit perfectly. Unfortunately when I first ran the car I found that turning the steering brings the hub closed to the center of the car- binding the axle. Some work at the track swapping out axles resulted in me using two EP3 axles, which were about 15mm shorter than the DC5 axles. These have worked perfectly

Here are some engine bay pics...

Let me know if you need something else
Old 10-01-2004, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 vs K20 pics? Other questions, RWD related... (Nikos)

lol...Im browsing that thread now(HT's K20)!
Ok, on the turning issue...there is no turning done here. I just need them to go into the tranny, have good contact inside the CV(not too short, too long), and thats about it. As you adequately put "it depends on where your engine is at." I guess we shall see! I do know that where the H is mounted now, its around 3" higher than in the front of the car. Ie, w/the wheels tucked, the axles are straight in-line on the y axis(left to right), where as in the front, there is a pretty sharp UP angle at the same wheel-height. So Im probably going to want a semi-short axle compare to the norm.
Im going to run a search for any aerial shots of the H motor, then compare. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I talked to Stan at Fast-turbo.com(the vendor who sold me the Gators), they might take these S3's in trade +cash for a setup thatll work for what Im trying to do
Old 10-01-2004, 03:16 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting development on your sol there Cody.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 vs K20 pics? Other questions, RWD related... (rochesterricer)

Ya, real interesting...
I woke up, and the first thing I realized was that I dont think SpeedPro can control individual coil packs. Time to get creative, or sell off a bunch more ****...
Old 11-27-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a local del sol owner....