Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM OBD2 GSR harness in eg

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM OBD2 GSR harness in eg

I recently purchased my first Honda after 10 years of building Volvos, so I'm a little out of my element and needed to ask a question.

I just purchased a completely stock 94 eg. I bought a obd 2 jdm gsr with lsd tranny. The harness is uncut and attached to the motor. I have the ecu, mounts, axles, linkage, and info to run the additional wires. But what I cannot find any info on is using the jdm harness in a us-spec car. I can see the engine harness connectors are on opposite sides from what the chassis connectors are. Is there enough slack in the harness to manipulate it to fit? ...or is such a pain that just buying a us-spec harness is the best thing? The jdm harness on the motor is so clean...just seems such a waste to toss it. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks so much.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: JDM OBD2 GSR harness in eg

Us the harness that is already in the car.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
Us the harness that is already in the car.
It'll save u some headaches. Plug n play. My brother did a jdm b18c swap into a gsr and used the us wiring harness, plugged right in.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon3 Re: JDM OBD2 GSR harness in eg

You may be able to move some wires, but generally they will get twisted. The ones that don't make it you will have to extend.

Get yourself some decent 3M electrical tape and $15 in split-loom and you can make your 1994 harness look cleaner. You'd have to lengthen many of the JDM wires, so you may as well modify the USDM harness. Cut the pigtails off the JDM harness deep and splice the new connectors onto your old harness. You can also depin the connectors and use the JDM clips in place of the old clips that don't need cutting.

The other option is to get a OBD2 USDM GSR harness. I'd personally go with an OBD1 solution if you plan on doing any mods to the motor.

Last edited by HiProfile; 01-19-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: mixed some h22 wiring info with gsr stuffs
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Better yet I've sticky this site cause it tells u EVERYTHING on how to swap obd2-obd1 or vise versa best info I've ever read.

http://www.civiclife.net/board/topic...in-a-obd2-car/
Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by HiProfile
You may be able to move some wires, but generally they will get twisted. The ones that don't make it you will have to extend.

Get yourself some decent 3M electrical tape and $15 in split-loom and you can make your 1994 harness look cleaner. You'd have to lengthen many of the JDM wires, so you may as well modify the USDM harness. Cut the pigtails off the JDM harness deep and splice the new connectors onto your old harness. You can also depin the connectors and use the JDM clips in place of the old clips that don't need cutting.

The tricky part will be the knock and CKP/CYP wires if you keep everything OBD2. The obd2 motor has them on the oil pump, while the obd1 motors have them in the distributor. If you go obd2 spec, you have to make sure you do NOT cut those wires because they are shielded. The shield (aka drain) connects to ground, and a cut/splice is almost impossible to do right.

The other option is to get a OBD2 USDM GSR harness. I'd personally go with an OBD1 solution if you plan on doing any mods to the motor.
JDM motors do not have the ckp sensor if I remember right.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I've had H/F-series on my mind lately. They have 2 sensors on the oil pump for some obd1 and most obd2. The problem remains with a JDM OBD2 ecu is the knock sensor.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
JDM motors do not have the ckp sensor if I remember right.
Correct jdm motors and obd1 b series motors don't have ckp sensors.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by HiProfile

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to use the factory harness from the stock motor like you suggested, and pull what I need off the JDM harness. I want it to look as clean and stock as possible. Thanks for the help!