Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help

i just recently got my h22 swap done and today i drove it around a bit and it shakes very violently at about 15mph and gets worse the faster i go up until 30 where i get scared that i'll break something or lose control it seems. i could have sworn i could hear the axles clicking while turning, but not the average click when you bust an axle, allmost like there was something rubbing like a gear or something.

anywho, it's a 92 civic cx, with a jdm h22a non lsd, with some mounts off ebay(long story) using the prelude intermediate shaft and 90-93 integra halfshafts with prelude inner joints.

the car is lowered on h&r and springs and absolutely no wheel gap at all. for reference the car is on 14's and i can snugly get my fist under my oil pan (for those of you who need a visual reference.

here's the scoop, i bought these axles new off a friend who never put them in his integra.at the time i'm not sure if the axles are abs or not, didn't look hard enough to the hub side, but if anyone has a picture of the differences i would appreciate it. i've heard stories that abs axles have a ring around them that can cause the car to shake real bad, and obviously i have no abs, so could this be my issue? also will raising the car up (still have the stock springs). help out with my allready horrid axle angle(driverside) and stop this crazy vibration.

any help would be appreciated so that i can get back on the road sooner and feel safe.

-brian
Old 04-07-2005, 05:16 AM

Default Re: h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help (see_our_vtec)

It could be so many things.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by see_our_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with some mounts off ebay</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is your first mistake. How are you supposed to know what shaft lengths to use if you don't know anything about your mounts? who knows what's going on, your shafts could be rubbing your damper forks, your CV joints could be binding badly due to the axles being the wrong length, for all I know your mounts themselves could be the source of vibration.

I'll assume that your mounts are an HCP knockoff. not 100% sure, but I don't think you can use the prelude midshaft with integra halfshafts with that mount kit. I think a common setup is the integra midshaft, 89 integ drivers side, and 90-93 integ pass side.

tell me more about your mounts
Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 AM

well i haven't got my h22 in my cat yet but i have been reading different posts about h22 swaps.

from what i have been reading your mounts are more than likely crap. i have seen a few people try to use those $150 eBay mounts and nothing but problems.

have you measured the shaft play of the axles yet?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help (SprayinCX)

does it shake when you accelerate? if so the axles are the wrong length. I had this problem too and I switch to the 89 teg axle and problem was solved.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help (dreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be so many things.

this is your first mistake. How are you supposed to know what shaft lengths to use if you don't know anything about your mounts? who knows what's going on, your shafts could be rubbing your damper forks, your CV joints could be binding badly due to the axles being the wrong length, for all I know your mounts themselves could be the source of vibration.

I'll assume that your mounts are an HCP knockoff. not 100% sure, but I don't think you can use the prelude midshaft with integra halfshafts with that mount kit. I think a common setup is the integra midshaft, 89 integ drivers side, and 90-93 integ pass side.

tell me more about your mounts</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i guess i should state now that i got ripped off by a local man for a set of place racing mounts, and didn't exactly have all the cash in the world to go buy anything else.

the axle angle on the passenger side is pretty good, the driver side on the other hand isn't to very pretty.

i would assume they are hcp knockoffs as they do not relocate the passenger side mount to the frame rail like hasport or place racing.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help (fastwanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does it shake when you accelerate? if so the axles are the wrong length. I had this problem too and I switch to the 89 teg axle and problem was solved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it shakes really bad when i accelerate, but seems more dependent upon speed than anything else, the faster i go, the harsher it becomes.

my thought would be that because the car is so low (no wheel gap on 14's) that i have no added more problems to the allready bad angle.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by see_our_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

it shakes really bad when i accelerate, but seems more dependent upon speed than anything else, the faster i go, the harsher it becomes.

my thought would be that because the car is so low (no wheel gap on 14's) that i have no added more problems to the allready bad angle.</TD></TR></TABLE>if thats the case then raise the car back up drive it and see if it still vibrates, my prediction is that it will. If it does continue then you need to switch to shorter teg axles.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:51 PM

Get a 89 teg drivers side axle...
Old 04-07-2005, 05:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if thats the case then raise the car back up drive it and see if it still vibrates, my prediction is that it will. If it does continue then you need to switch to shorter teg axles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and you said yours had similar issues and you swapped to an 89 teg axle and fixed the problem? was this on the drivers side for yours?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:01 PM

I got a new set of axles that won't squeak, if your interested for h22 into an eg.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: h22 swap, shaking issues..........please help (Trbospnkr)

well i raised her up tonight and she stop shaking so damned bad, so my initial idea was right. allthough i might still buy an 89 integra axle to mess around with.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by see_our_vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and you said yours had similar issues and you swapped to an 89 teg axle and fixed the problem??</TD></TR></TABLE>correct

was this on the drivers side for yours?</TD></TR></TABLE>correct, I later replaced the pass side axle also with an 89 and I get no vibrations at all.