Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 Swap Overheating after short drives.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 Swap Overheating after short drives.

Hello Honda-Tech, I just did an h2b swap into my ek and I'am having a serious overheating issue. When I drive the car for maybe 5-10 minutes is when it begans to heat up. Initially the car will warm up and remain warm for about 5 minutes its within the next five minutes when the car begans to get hot. Sometimes it will heat up and cool down when I start driving again. My head gasket was just replaced- OEM- there is no oil in the coolant and no bubbles in radiator when cap is off.My fan is on all the time its a slim fan though and yes it is pushing the air the right direction.But,I do have one of those ebay single core radiator.Never had problem with it before though. I have replaced the thermostat. Top radiator hose is hot, bottom is pretty warm, so I think this indicates that the thermostat is operating correctly. I'm stumped right now and don't wanna start buying expensive parts that I don't need(i.e. timing belt, water pump). I also burped the cooling system, but did not "bled" it with the bleeder on the thermostat housing. No coolant under the car either.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 Swap Overheating after short drives.

I'd start with burping the coolant again w/ the bleeder.
I've had new thermostats go bad, they're cheap enough to replace.
Also, sometimes 1 weak slimfan is not enough... Whats the CFM rating?

Last edited by 1AKatie; 01-25-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 to bleeding again.

Confirm that the Tstat is actually opening and closing as it should. Is the lower hose getting hot?

1AKatie, I believe he has a 1/2 rad. Putting more than one fan on it would be pointless as the fan he probably has covers the entire core.

OP, I would do the above first, then start to think about swapping out the rad with something bigger. I have heard and read numerous things stating that a single row 1/2 rad is just not enough for an H22. I am running a Mishimoto 2 row with a pusher fan without any problems on my H22
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99

1AKatie, I believe he has a 1/2 rad. Putting more than one fan on it would be pointless as the fan he probably has covers the entire core.
Yes he probably does have a 1/2 size radiator w/ an h22, but if the CFM rating is too low, getting 1 with a higher CFM rating would work better.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 to bleeding again.

Confirm that the Tstat is actually opening and closing as it should. Is the lower hose getting hot?

OP, I would do the above first, then start to think about swapping out the rad with something bigger. I have heard and read numerous things stating that a single row 1/2 rad is just not enough for an H22. I am running a Mishimoto 2 row with a pusher fan without any problems on my H22
Originally Posted by 1AKatie
Yes he probably does have a 1/2 size radiator w/ an h22, but if the CFM rating is too low, getting 1 with a higher CFM rating would work better.
Thanks the both of you, I will try to bleed the system again today/tomorrow and see what happens. I'll let you know the results.Bottom hose was actually pretty hot. Sorry I really can't answer the question about the fans cfm, but I know its a 12in and is taking about the entire surface of the the radiator. My little radiator could be the culprit though.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the CFM rating may be too low. I do agree with you, but if it is constantly running upon start up, I would imagine that he would have a chance to drive it on the highway without overheating at least.

The Mishi fan I have has a CFM rating which is less than desirable, but I have never had an overheat, or even come close to an overheat regardless of driving style, ambient temps etc etc etc. IF the fan is the culprit, it is either wired incorrectly, or just plain crappy.

OP, we should have asked, are you overheating in stop and go traffic, on the highway, sitting at idle, or a combination of the three?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the CFM rating may be too low. I do agree with you, but if it is constantly running upon start up, I would imagine that he would have a chance to drive it on the highway without overheating at least.

The Mishi fan I have has a CFM rating which is less than desirable, but I have never had an overheat, or even come close to an overheat regardless of driving style, ambient temps etc etc etc. IF the fan is the culprit, it is either wired incorrectly, or just plain crappy.

OP, we should have asked, are you overheating in stop and go traffic, on the highway, sitting at idle, or a combination of the three?
Well I havent driven the car on the highway at all, but what I can tell you is that the car usually overheats or begins to overheat sitting at idle and then will start to rise when I drive it. However strange thing is I drove the car a few days ago and it actually begin to heat up but it then started to go down once I started to drive it. I uncderstand if this may be a bit confusing, but thanks for the help again. So not sure if its fan/rad or something else?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda owns me

Standard EG half radiator with a stock fan works fine, I raced all day on a hot day with mine and never had overheating issues.

My first guess is the thermostat. Is your fan coming on? If not, that's a good indicator that the thermostat is bad, the fan switch sensor is on the other side of the thermostat ... bad Honda! lol

If your fans are coming on, jack the front of the car up as high as possible, fill the radiator, and run the car, keep filling as needed. If it were in a Prelude you could just open the bleeder. In an H2B the motor sits too far forward so the IACV and FITV sit lower than the bleeder.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had this same problem in a h22 ef. Turned out the fluidyne radiator he was using had all the fins bent. Put in a stock one and never had another issue.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by typemismatch
Standard EG half radiator with a stock fan works fine, I raced all day on a hot day with mine and never had overheating issues.

My first guess is the thermostat. Is your fan coming on? If not, that's a good indicator that the thermostat is bad, the fan switch sensor is on the other side of the thermostat ... bad Honda! lol

If your fans are coming on, jack the front of the car up as high as possible, fill the radiator, and run the car, keep filling as needed. If it were in a Prelude you could just open the bleeder. In an H2B the motor sits too far forward so the IACV and FITV sit lower than the bleeder.
Ok I think I fixed the overheating. A friend taught me the correct way to bleed the system, I did the procedure and let the car idle for over 30 minutes and the motor just barely got to the middle of the temp gauge even with heat off.

Last edited by beanss; 01-26-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Trial User

What is the propre procedure that u did i have the same problem.