Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 swap into civic - surging idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 swap into civic - surging idle

The engine is a OBD1 H22A1

The car is a 99 CX hatch

Using JDM P72 ECU, with an OBD adapter harness. Had to change a couple wires in the adapter harness since the 99 is OBD2B, and the adapter must have been meant for a OBD2A.

there are no check engines lights, however with the lack of EGR I know it will come on after driving... Also do not yet have the butterflies wired, so I am sure once I drive the car and it tries to open the valves it will give a CEL for that. But at just idle and reving the motor all the CELs have been taken care of.

last h22 swap i did into a 97 EX... it did the same thing but then I hooked up the coolant lines for the idle control valve and the fast idle valve I think its called (lines on the bottom of the throttle body), and after hooking those up it stopped. I have those hooked up on this motor and have let it run thru and cycle the coolant for about 15 minutes and there is no air in the coolant, I just flushed it and filled it.

If you have any ideas to the possible cause, please let me know. The motor revs fine and everything, just the surging at idle. I will be working on this thru the night and hopefully resolve it by morning, just seeing if anyone has any suggestions that could help speed up the process of getting this car done.

Thanks again.

-Charles
Old 10-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 swap into civic - surging idle (mister2racer)

hey guy,
look at what i found:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=662570
Old 10-29-2003, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap into civic - surging idle (hondaZvic)

Sorry for not searching... im really bad at that.

I appreciate your response tho.

However I found the problem. My stupid *** hooked up some **** wrong. The H22 valve cover has 2 PCV outlets... one on the passenger side with no PCV valve that is to go into the intake before the throttle body, and one with a PCV valve that is supposed to go to the intake manifold. I had the one with no valve going to the manifold and it was essentially causing a huge vacuum leak, pulling in crankcase air into the intake manifold and not allowing the motor to acheive proper vacuum with the throttle plate closed.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H22 swap into civic - surging idle (mister2racer)

sorry, im not trying to be rude.. but we've just had this one a couple times this week already... on another note.

glad u figured it out.