Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 swap -- boiling!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 H22 swap -- boiling!

Hey guys, I just recently swapped a JDM H22 red top into my ek. The cars running great but I'm facing a serious issue with the heat being radiated from the transmission in-cabin. If I keep my hand on the side of the gear its literally boiling and its very uncomfy 10 minutes into a drive. Have I missed something? I read someplace I should heat wrap the shifter assembly?! anybody have any links to how its done or any other solutions to this?

any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: H22 swap -- boiling!

Before you try to patch the problem, you should make sure it isn't a more serious problem. If your shift **** is getting "boiling" hot, it's probably excess exhaust heat, which could be a sign that your motor is running poorly.

Did you fully check the motor before installing it, or did you just take the word of whoever you bought it from?

If you have access to a wideband O2 sensor, make sure you aren't leaning out. If you don't, check your mechanical and ignition timing, do a leak down test, and test your fuel pressure. You can do all of this with tools loaned/rented from your local parts store, and there are how-to write ups all over the forums for these tests. You should also get your hands on a service manual for the car the motor originally came in.

I might be completely overthinking and over analyzing this, but better safe than sorry. The tests are free, and the tools can be borrowed/rented. No reason not to take a couple hours and check everything.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cheers for the extra checks , i'll get those done too but as far the motor is concerned.. I did a leakdown test and with the air compressor at 100 psi it registered 98 psi on all four cylinders. Compression test 240 across the board. Engines dyno tuned with a p08 , with custom intake and 2.5" exhaust made 180 whp and 143 wtq... (its quite hot where I live too). Its not really the shift **** thats hot..its the base of the gearbox..the sides are radiating so much heat after a while that my legs literally start sweating, so does the person on the passenger side. In all honesty, I had been warned about heat before the swap but I was wondering if theres any way I can address this issue. Mechanic suggested an aluminium shield? though I didnt understand him at the time as to what he meant or how he would work it in..
Old 05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good that you did a leakdown and compression test. Your exhaust still runs right down that channel in the floor pan, so it could still be exhaust heat.

Just for the sake of clarity, is the heat radiating from the floorboard bottom, the firewall area, or the channel that runs between the two front seats? At least do the checks I mentioned, and try to get your hands on a wideband O2 sensor if you can. Running excessively lean can and will blow up a motor, and generally manifests as obscenely hot exhaust.

Have you done any spirited driving at night, then popped the hood while it was dark outside? If you have, did the exhaust manifold appear to be any color other than how it looks cold? If you haven't looked and/or noticed, please don't try it now. I don't want your next post to be "You said to do spirited driving then look at my exhaust, and now my motor is blown!"

Also, it appears your thread was moved to the hybrid section. I don't generally browse this section, so if I randomly stop answering, and you still need help, feel free to PM me.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will do the wideband check, and the heats emanating from the channel between the seats as you said..if you touch the side of that hump there its incredibly hot. haha I have as a matter of fact popped the hood after some spirited driving :D but havent observed anything of the sort. Thanks again for the help!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how is the shifter box bolted? possible leak from through it from the exhaust
Old 05-27-2012, 09:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If it's the hump between the seats that's getting hot, it's definitely your exhaust, not your shift linkage. If your shift linkage every got hot enough to create that much cabin heat, well, your transmission internals would be melting.

Let us know how the checks turn out.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Does your car have a catalytic converter??
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i recently just did a d16 to a h22 swap. my exhaust system did not have a cat and my shifter would get pretty warm, once a cat was installed it cooled down a lot. that might help