Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22 swap=slow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 swap=slow?

ok first off, i have a 95 civic hatch, originally a cx model, purchased a h22a jdm motor from hmotorsonline, me and my buddy did the swap, started right up when we finished, but was SLOW like sohc slow, hits vtec, doesnt studder no signs of anything wrong. i used the stock p13 ecu, had a few codes so figured ok maybe if i fix them everything will be fine. As of today no codes, compression test was 220 accross the board, 35-40psi fuel pressure, valves lashed. and still slow as ***** / im completely out of idea's, o and i have used 2 p13 ecu's and it runs the same way with both any ideas would be appreciated and i will promptly answer any questions
Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap=slow? (wfo)

try a p72 ecu or take out the iabs and chip the p13 to disable the iabs
Old 07-30-2008, 04:40 PM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

how about if i get my old-p28 chipped?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wfo)

what are the spark plugs gapped to?? i got new plugs put them in forgot to gap them and it wasnt much faster then my b16 figured it out regapped them and now it runs like a striped *** ape
Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say get ur p28 chipped and then work from there. the proper ecu makes a world of difference
Old 07-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wfo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about if i get my old-p28 chipped?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can do that if you want
Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaInFaMMuS1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaInFaMMuS1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say get ur p28 chipped and then work from there. the proper ecu makes a world of difference</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are you guys talking about? he has the origonal ecu in it. all a chipped p28 is gonna do for him is make the car run rich, unless he gets it tuned.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LA_HONDAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try a p72 ecu or take out the iabs and chip the p13 to disable the iabs </TD></TR></TABLE>

and how the hell is getting rid of the iabs gonna do nething? on a stock h22a getting rid of the iabs or discconectin them will take away a lil low end power, so this is gonna cause his car to be even slower
Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jsarv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jsarv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what are you guys talking about? he has the origonal ecu in it. all a chipped p28 is gonna do for him is make the car run rich, unless he gets it tuned.

and how the hell is getting rid of the iabs gonna do nething? on a stock h22a getting rid of the iabs or discconectin them will take away a lil low end power, so this is gonna cause his car to be even slower </TD></TR></TABLE>

why taking out iabs gonna make it slower and nobody said disconnect the iabs

i know a few ppl that took out there iabs and they are not slow

btw spell check next time
Old 08-01-2008, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap=slow? (wfo)

What kind of exhaust are you running?
Timing set right?
Are the IABs working?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jsarv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and how the hell is getting rid of the iabs gonna do nething? on a stock h22a getting rid of the iabs or discconectin them will take away a lil low end power, so this is gonna cause his car to be even slower </TD></TR></TABLE>

The whole point of having it chipped is so that it's tuned for your engine, thus it wouldn't run rich. No one is suggesting he run a stock P28.

And if the IABs aren't opening, removing them will do a hell of a lot for top end performance, while only slightly weaking the low end. Having IABs that never open will really suck the wind out of the engine past 4k rpm.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 AM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

got the p28 chipped and now it has the torque of my buddys sohc vtec motor, for some reason its not hitting vtec now at all, but its still no h22 and again im throwing no codes at all
Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 swap=slow? (Chem Geek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wfo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got the p28 chipped and now it has the torque of my buddys sohc vtec motor, for some reason its not hitting vtec now at all, but its still no h22 and again im throwing no codes at all</TD></TR></TABLE>

what did i say?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chem Geek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of exhaust are you running?
Timing set right?
Are the IABs working?

The whole point of having it chipped is so that it's tuned for your engine, thus it wouldn't run rich. No one is suggesting he run a stock P28.

And if the IABs aren't opening, removing them will do a hell of a lot for top end performance, while only slightly weaking the low end. Having IABs that never open will really suck the wind out of the engine past 4k rpm.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i know what chipping an ecu does, but when tuners recieve your ecu but you dont actually go in for a tune, they are not even close to being "tuned" they run pig rich. all it is is a basemap.

and you do know that you can stand outside of your car have someone rev it up and watch the throttle pulley for the iabs and see if they open up or listen for the noise they make when they open up. that would be alot better then spending 50-100 bucks to chip an ecu that will do nothing for him.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LA_HONDAS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why taking out iabs gonna make it slower and nobody said disconnect the iabs

i know a few ppl that took out there iabs and they are not slow

btw spell check next time </TD></TR></TABLE>

cause its been proven on a mostly stock h22a that disconnecting the iabs or getting rid of them with the blacktrax plate hurts performance.

and in your first post you told him to take them out or chip a p72 or p28 to get rid of them.

and please dont comment on my spelling when you arent using full words either. as in ppl.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:02 AM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

i visually checked the timing, and it was on the marks
running stock exhaust
the chip was from another completely stock jdm h22 from the guys shop, just put the program on my chip
the iabs are zip tied open and the vacuum lines removed for the moment, untill i can remove the butterfly
Old 08-01-2008, 07:08 AM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

o and i only paid 20 bucks for teh chip because it had been chipped before so it already had the port or w/e
Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IABs are normally open, they close when you start the car and vaccum is applied. They open again at proper rpm. If you dont hook them up properly they will be open not closed.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:25 AM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

ok, im going to take it out and remove the butterflies but im not sure if that would take that much power but it won't hurt to try
Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wfo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, im going to take it out and remove the butterflies but im not sure if that would take that much power but it won't hurt to try</TD></TR></TABLE>

just take the whole plate out. you are running the stock piping and everything?? thats a MAJOR restriction.. get 2.5 or even 3" piping and a decent muffler.

tuning on the dyno would be your best bet.... since you are already chipped you can find a tuner who uses Crome... cheap and it works!

Also check to make sure Vtec is working. you can run it to a button and then go drive and see if it turns on. you should notice a significant difference...
Old 08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
wfo
Honda-Tech Member

its alive! lol putting in the p28 and removing the butterflies did the trick and vtec wasn't engaging i guess because i had the butterflies zip tied closed woops
Old 08-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wfo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its alive! lol putting in the p28 and removing the butterflies did the trick and vtec wasn't engaging i guess because i had the butterflies zip tied closed woops</TD></TR></TABLE>

great to hear!! good thing it was a pretty easy fix!! GL! now you gotta go get some track times and post them up!!