Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 newb, questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 newb, questions

I recently got a H22 in the view to H2B it in my teg, but i really want to familiarise myself with the engine as i need to put a B series harness on there and i'l want to do most of the work to it myself (within reason), so if you know your H22's i need your help.
The pics are pretty shitty so i apologise about that

Is this a normal amount of carbon? does this look healthy?

Theres some light scoring on the cam shafts, is this normal?

What are these, mine are broke and i need a new ones (on the side of the head)

This seems intact but out of curiosity, what is it? engine temp?

Again, what is this, its broke and i will need a new one (below oil filter nozzle)

What would have been earthed here? (water pump housing (i think))

Thanks in advnace
Old 04-28-2007, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 newb, questions (ezza)

the amount of carbon looks good to me.

can you get better pictures of the cams?

the first broken sensor is the coolant temp sensor.

the second sensor is a knock sensor

the third is the oil pressure sending unit.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 newb, questions (turtleman321)

Thank

Il get some better pics of the cams

in this pic im assuming you mean the broken black plug is the coolant temp sensor but what about the copper thing with the spring?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

took some better pics of the worst scoring:

Also i noticed one of the end caps was missing (im assuming there should be two), Do any company's make after market ones?

Also what is this copper thing with the spring?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is this a normal amount of carbon? does this look healthy?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is fine

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theres some light scoring on the cam shafts, is this normal?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

From the other pics, it is light, not a problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are these, mine are broke and i need a new ones (on the side of the head)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The one to the right is the coolant temp sender for the guage cluster. The one to the left is engine coolant temp for the ECU. You need the one to the left.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This seems intact but out of curiosity, what is it? engine temp?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Knock sensor. If you are running a Civic/integra chipped ECU, you do not need it (it is worthless).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Again, what is this, its broke and i will need a new one (below oil filter nozzle)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oil pressure light for the cluster. The light comes on at &gt;4.2PSI.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What would have been earthed here? (water pump housing (i think))
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is the thermostat housing. That is the ground (earth) for the engine harness. The B-series harness will have that. No need to keep that one. The importers (or junkyards) cut the sensors short.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 newb, questions (Turbogixxer)

Wow, if you didnt live accross miles of water id buy you a beer

Thanks, i picked up one of those ebay CD's with the honda parts programme on so il have a look and get the part numbers

Thanks again
Old 04-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After a bit of reasearch found out that i meant cam seals not 'end caps' (wtf), i think one is missing, or is there only supposed to be one?

Old 04-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, if you didnt live accross miles of water id buy you a beer

Thanks, i picked up one of those ebay CD's with the honda parts programme on so il have a look and get the part numbers

Thanks again </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAhahah, Hard drinks only, I am irish

Both coolant sensors you can use the sensors off a B-series, F-series, D-series. They are the same.

Oil pressure: 37240-P13-013
Engine coolant temp (2 -wire): 37870-PK2-015
Engine coolant temp (one wire): 37750-PH2-014

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After a bit of reasearch found out that i meant cam seals not 'end caps' (wtf), i think one is missing, or is there only supposed to be one?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The open hole is for the distributor. The exhaust cam drives it.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im guessing il just have to look at the harness to know if i need the one or two wire temp sensor?

as for the cam seal, DDDDUUUHHHHHH
Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Getting better

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im guessing il just have to look at the harness to know if i need the one or two wire temp sensor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The harness will have both of them. The one wire sender is for the guage cluster. The 2-wire is for the ECU.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhhhh
Old 04-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Iv been doing a bit of reading and apparently these are closed block engines and can take boost well, the weakness being the pistons.

What are good low compression pistons for h22a? also would it be worth getting some con rods on while i change the pistons?
Old 04-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW, you guys dont tired of having BAD handling cars? There really no point in having an H22 in your tin cans if it ruins your handling, GGEEESSSHHH when are people going to learn(shakes head).

BTW .... H22=slow
B-anything =fast

Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM

It certainly does not ruin the handling.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alphajesse)

Thank you for your contribution fastwanabe.

people like you really make honda-tech a good place
Old 05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ezza)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you for your contribution fastwanabe.

people like you really make honda-tech a good place </TD></TR></TABLE>I was just messing with ya, but on a serious note...... I would suggest you run a closed deck H22 ?-97 block with low comp Mahle pistons. Just make sure you get it tuned before ripping on it. Other than the stock pistons the weak point are the cyl walls. Of course the proper way is to build it but your on a budget keep it low boost and you should be fine but whatever you decide to do always TUNE TUNE TUNE. I went thru 3 H22s before I got that through my head. I personally like all motor setups but thats me. Also if you plan to push 350+hp then I suggest changing the rods.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fastwanabe)

[QUOTE=fastwanabe]I would suggest you run a closed deck H22 ?-97 blockQUOTE]

Like this?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=fastwanabe]I would suggest you run a closed deck H22 ?-97 blockQUOTE]

Like this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah thats a closed deck
Old 05-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ezza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Iv been doing a bit of reading and apparently these are closed block engines and can take boost well, the weakness being the pistons.

What are good low compression pistons for h22a? also would it be worth getting some con rods on while i change the pistons?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just messing with ya, but on a serious note...... I would suggest you run a closed deck H22 ?-97 block with low comp Mahle pistons. Just make sure you get it tuned before ripping on it. Other than the stock pistons the weak point are the cyl walls. Of course the proper way is to build it but your on a budget keep it low boost and you should be fine but whatever you decide to do always TUNE TUNE TUNE. I went thru 3 H22s before I got that through my head. I personally like all motor setups but thats me. Also if you plan to push 350+hp then I suggest changing the rods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mahle pistons, woot!

There has been alot of mixed reviews on this product.

As far as just changing pistons and rods, it would be nice if it was that simple. Other than the Mahle pistons I'm pretty sure there isn't much alternative to sleeving the block.

FRM sleeves, not so cool...
Old 05-08-2007, 09:04 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was just messing with ya, but on a serious note...... I would suggest you run a closed deck H22 ?-97 block with low comp Mahle pistons. Just make sure you get it tuned before ripping on it. Other than the stock pistons the weak point are the cyl walls. Of course the proper way is to build it but your on a budget keep it low boost and you should be fine but whatever you decide to do always TUNE TUNE TUNE. I went thru 3 H22s before I got that through my head. I personally like all motor setups but thats me. Also if you plan to push 350+hp then I suggest changing the rods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um a closed deck....like the one he already has. Read the whole thread, pay close attention to the picture of the block at the beginning.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Crispy)

What kind of head gasket should i get for lower compression? and what thinckness?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this amount of sut in the intake ports normal?

Also What kind of head gasket should i get for lower compression? and what thinckness?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

YEs, it is

Thicker than stock gasket

Quick Reply: H22 newb, questions