Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help.

I finally got my swap running correctly, but now I'm having a problem with my axles binding when I turn right or when my car bounces. The driver side axle is visibily binding, it appears to be squeezed into place. My car is lowered but I went through the correct axle building procedures. Can you think of anything I can try?

Engine: H22A(1995)
Mounts: HCP
Intermediate Shaft: Prelude? Came on my JDM swap?
Driver Side Axle: 88-89 Integra with h22 inner

The following is Newman's axle info:
Originally Posted by Newman
There's been a lot of talk about what axles to use and after doing some fitment testing on some customer cars down here, we came up with these senarios....

FYI: This was tested with the HCP EG-22 and EK-22 mount kits only.

Passenger side: 90-91 Integra axle. If you can't get it to say in the tranny, get some needle nose pliers and expand the snap ring ("C" clip" at the end of the axle) just a little but and put the axle into the transmission.... if you expand the snap ring, it'll be very tight to put the axle in so you'll need to force it in but once it's in, it's not going to slide out on you while driving/racing.

Driver side / Intermediate shaft: All depends what route you want to go. If you want to go the "traditional route" and get a 5-spd 90-93 Accord intermediate shaft, then you can use a 90-91 Integra driver side axle and everything bolts up. If you want to keep & use the existing 92-96 Prelude intermediate shaft, then you can use a 88-89 Integra driver side axle and put the 92-96 Prelude inner joint onto the 88-89 Integra axle so that it'll connect to the 92-96 Prelude intermediate shaft. Eitherway works.

Now, here's some "additional" information for you. Obviously if your car is lowered, it'll put more stress on the axle joints (that's for any mount kit). If you have a camber kit, it'll straighted the knuckles out and help a little bit with the joints. Now, if your axles are binding when you turn, you can try the following.

If your axles bind on the passenger side, you can take the 92-96 Prelude inner joint and put it onto the 90-91 Integra axle. The overall length will still be the same but the way the Prelude cup is designed, it allows for the axle to move in & out from the transmission with more play than the 90-91 Integra joint, thus giving your axle more room for play and not causing it to bind.

If your axles bind on the driver side, and if you're using the 90-93 Accord intermediate shaft, you can use the 88-89 Integra axle since it's an inch shorter and use that with the Accord intermediate shaft. Haven't run into axles binding on the driver side when using the Prelude intermediate shaft & 88-89 Integra axle w/Prelude inner joint.

Some things to consider:
If your car is really low, that'll cause your axles to bind more so raising your car up a little bit will help. With a stock height car, there are no axles binding. Also, a lot of "JDM H22" swaps that come over aren't always from the JDM Preludes. The Accord SiRs over there had H22 swaps in there and their intermediate shafts and rear trany brackets are different so you would need to use the 92-96 Prelude parts or a 90-93 Accord 5-spd intermediate shaft.

A little FYI on the side: Going back to saying that there's a lot of JDM Accord SiR H22 swaps that come over, this is the main reason why some people have problems with their H22 swaps and the rear tranny brackets. We had a complete front clip of a JDM Prelude here (sold it to a fellow HT member) but we tried the rear tranny bracket with a brand new US one that we picked up..... THE EXACT SAME THING. We used both brackets on a template H22 block in a straight EG6 chassis (hey, that's all that we had) and a straight DC2 chassis. The fitment is the same with both rear brackets and the HCP EG-22 mount kit (didn't have an EK chassis to test on but the same principle applies to it). The Accord rear tranny bracket looks similar to the Prelude rear tranny bracket, but when you put the motor in, you can see that it's off and there's stress on the bushings & mounts. SO, when using the HCP EG/EK-22 kits, use the 92-96 rear tranny brackets (either US or JDM will work).

Again, this is what we tested on 5 H22 cars down here in the past couple of weeks. I know some other people who had to do totally different setups on their cars with axles or what not to make it work, but then everyone's car is not exactly the same (whether it be from an accident or just slightly tweaked), but this should be a good reference for most of you to go off of. Feel free to add any comments/suggestions to this.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:47 PM

Default Re: H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help. (ScottEK)

just start it on fire
Old 06-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help. (slowem1si)

bump
Old 06-22-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm buying a 90-03 accord intermediate shaft, hopefully this and possibly a 90-91 Integra axle will fix my problems.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what do you mean by "binding" The axle being to long? if so i never really heard of this before using 86-89 integra axles matted upto the prelude mid shaft. I wouldnt even try the 90-93 integra axles since those are even longer then the 89 axles (89 are the shortest non-custom axle you can get for this swap). Only option if they are to long, would be to get a custom axles made up. my guess is something is out of whack or the mid shaft you have atm isnt the right one.

"I'm buying a 90-03 accord intermediate shaft, hopefully this and possibly a 90-91 Integra axle will fix my problems"

Worth a shot, this may fix since i heard of other people running this setup without a problem
Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 PM

order that f-ing axel charge it to your hillbilly bank account
Old 06-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help. (slowem1si)

you need an accord shaft and 89 teg axles. This is a proven combo to work on both EK's and EG's. Using the prelude halfshaft causes binding problem most of the time. I've only heard of 2 people using them succesfully and Skunked is one of them.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help. (fastwanabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need an accord shaft and 89 teg axles. This is a proven combo to work on both EK's and EG's. Using the prelude halfshaft causes binding problem most of the time. I've only heard of 2 people using them succesfully and Skunked is one of them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I always thought people said on honda-tech and it was recommend to use the prelude half shaft. Along with prelude inners using 89 integra outers. This is what ive been using for quite some time now without any problems at all. (had it on stock springs and also lowered so there was about 1 finger gap on 15 ince rims, both times were fine.)
Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help. (lak8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I always thought people said on honda-tech and it was recommend to use the prelude half shaft. Along with prelude inners using 89 integra outers. This is what ive been using for quite some time now without any problems at all. (had it on stock springs and also lowered so there was about 1 finger gap on 15 ince rims, both times were fine.)</TD></TR></TABLE>well your are the third person that I've heard to use it successfully. Is that shaft a 92-96 or 97+? maybe certain year shafts make the difference. I dont like using because it requires modding the driver side axle. With the accord shaft you can use a 89 teg axle straight up.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well your are the third person that I've heard to use it successfully. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I always use the prelude shaft. The prelude cups are deeper, larger bearings, and the passenger side axles shaft is longer.

You just have to carry the complete prelude assembly to the integra axle.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 - HCP Mounts - EK Chasis Axle Dilema, help. (Turbogixxer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbogixxer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I always use the prelude shaft..</TD></TR></TABLE>interesting...... my crew consist of 4 H22 hatch and every single time that we tried to use the lude shaft it would bind BAD. So we all use the accord shaft. Good to see it works for you guys. As far as cups and bearing we dont have issues with our axles and they are basically stock 89 tegs. The pass side though is a different story.

Modified by fastwanabe at 7:18 PM 6/25/2006
Old 06-23-2006, 09:21 PM

ScottEK: Thanks guys, my accord shaft gets here on Tuesday so I'll tell you how it goes.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastwanabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well your are the third person that I've heard to use it successfully. Is that shaft a 92-96 or 97+? maybe certain year shafts make the difference. I dont like using because it requires modding the driver side axle. With the accord shaft you can use a 89 teg axle straight up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was the stock 92-95 prelude mid shaft that came with the engine.

btw fastwanabe: i just drove it last night for about 10mins with the raised mounts and every thing is working prefect ground clearance is crazy good
Old 06-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lak8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It was the stock 92-95 prelude mid shaft that came with the engine.

btw fastwanabe: i just drove it last night for about 10mins with the raised mounts and every thing is working prefect ground clearance is crazy good </TD></TR></TABLE>awesome..... wanna see pics.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pm'ed yea

dont mean to hyjack this guys post
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put the Accord intermediate shaft in the other night, the shaft worked great but I ended up cutting my hand on the exhaust shield and getting 7 stitches. My current working setup:

Car: EK 96' hatch
Engine: H22A(1995)
Mounts: HCP
Intermediate Shaft: Accord 90-93 5speed
Passenger side: 90-91 Integra axle with prelude inner
Driver Side Axle: 88-89 Integra with 88-89 integra inner
Old 08-23-2006, 04:58 AM

I see that you've fixed your problem, but my friend kept running those stock modified axles and they kept breaking when he wasn't even racing and his car isn't even lowered. Then i put an h22 in my ek with hcp mounts, prelude intermediate shaft and driver side Drive Shaft Shop axle and my car is slammed and i haven't had one problem with it, so he got the DSS driver side axle and he hasn't had any problems since. So just in case you break the axle i'd go with the prelude shaft again with the DSS axle, it's only 200. And my car runs like everything is completely stock.