Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??!

So I've had this problem lately with a rubbing noise...it all started one day when I sped around a left hand turn to avoid being hit by an oncoming car...I heard a noise...kind of sounded like suspension bottoming out...I've been trying to isolate the problem for the past few weeks...whenever I gun it and tires start to spin...I get a clunking/rubbing noise...I thought about a couple potential problems:

1) axle
2) wheel hub bearing
3) differential

So I go under my car and see that there is a deep rubbage mark on my frame which resulted from my crankshaft rubbing it. People at the track also said that they saw sparks come out from under my car when I shifted to second. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Motor Mount perhaps...somebody help please!

Modified by teameracer3 at 7:13 PM 6/27/2004

Modified by teameracer3 at 7:26 PM 6/27/2004

Modified by teameracer3 at 7:30 PM 6/27/2004
Old 06-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??! (teameracer3)

well.. if u can see that it has in fact been rubbing the frame... the only reason i could think it would do this would be do to a bad mount.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:51 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What mount kit are you running? I know with the HCP and Hasport kits, no problems at all with the pulley & framerail clearance. If it's another mount kit (Canadian company), then I know why it won't fit and unfortunately there is not fix for it since the mounts were just poorly made. But if you're using the wrong rear tranny bracket (like an Accord SiR bracket), then it's going to shift the motor more towards the driver side, thus making your pulley possibly hit the framerail, but it would also be very noticable by the look/position of the motor. Also, check the bushings on the mounts to make sure that they didn't tear. If they did, then your motor will shift.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??! (Newman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What mount kit are you running? I know with the HCP and Hasport kits, no problems at all with the pulley & framerail clearance. If it's another mount kit (Canadian company), then I know why it won't fit and unfortunately there is not fix for it since the mounts were just poorly made. But if you're using the wrong rear tranny bracket (like an Accord SiR bracket), then it's going to shift the motor more towards the driver side, thus making your pulley possibly hit the framerail, but it would also be very noticable by the look/position of the motor. Also, check the bushings on the mounts to make sure that they didn't tear. If they did, then your motor will shift.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm using the HCP mounts...The rear does feel as if it's giving out...so I'm going to have that changed tomorrow...my rear bushing does tear often...never did that before when I had the front crossmember...but I had to take that off because of my turbo...is there any fix for that problem?
Old 06-27-2004, 10:04 PM

Maybe you could try a smaller crank pulley.It doesnt look like your using the last section of it.You could also "massage" that part of the frame rail slightly to provide the extra clearance you need.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:09 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teameracer3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
never did that before when I had the front crossmember...but I had to take that off because of my turbo...is there any fix for that problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's your problem. You can fix that by running the solid urethane driverside mount (HCP EK-SR mount) and that'll replace the stock liquid-filled mount that is weak and causing your motor to move around as much as it is.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??! (Newman)

If I were to cut that piece of the crank pulley off that I don't use (see picture), would that throw off the balance of the pulley?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:44 AM

i believe so
Old 06-30-2004, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teameracer3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I were to cut that piece of the crank pulley off that I don't use (see picture), would that throw off the balance of the pulley?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't cut that piece off, that's ghetto. Secondly, I had the same issue, and i still have a deep scar on my frame from it. My driver's side stock ek mount ripped like **** and everytime i went WOT, the motor would jump vertically about 3-4 inches. Not Good.

While I thought it was a bit over priced, i still bought the driver's side polyurethane mount from HCP, from JDMShit.com. It get's a huge from me b/c it completely fixed the issue.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??! (DarkKnight[DMD])

Well the problem seems to be fixed for now...I replaced the rear motor mount bushing and had the front mount cut off and welded onto my traction bar and custom fitted (didn't fit before because of the turbo kit). It hasn't touched so far.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man.. u got turbo now? any new pix of it? i looked in ur sig. ur car looks sweet man. i really like it
Old 06-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22/EK: crankshaft rubbing frame?!??! (hondaZvic)

naw no pics haha sorry...thanks for the comment tho