Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 EG w/ RMF Header clearance/fitment??? Better Recommendations???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 EG w/ RMF Header clearance/fitment??? Better Recommendations???

Alright. I have searched for a few hours, looking over revelent threads and have spoken with RMF over the phone about my setup. After narrowing down the two best custom H22 EG headers (imho), I have narrowed it down to the SMSP and RMF. The $400-500 difference in price was the main factor that swayed my decision toward RMF.

The reason I am being so picky about choosing a header is because: 1. the header must be designed to greatly increase ground clearance (my header gets raped currently), 2. the header must make good power (roughly 175whp or better w/ I,& 2.5''E) with the stock motor for now and then better power down the road with mild cams and a tune, and 3. the header must have a 2.5'' outlet so I don't have to F with it too much myself. If you have any better suggestions for a header choice in the $700-800 range, then give me your opinions.

So here is my concern with the RMF...

I was pretty sure that I could fit the RMF 4-1 street header, being that it is a one-piece design. However, RMF says that I would need to buy their new two-piece design. (Which btw, they don't even have pictures of, not to mention I doubt it performs as well.) I have a 1995 Integra with a H22 swap and HCP mounts. I also have the PWR half radiator, and no A/C, so I have a considerable amount of room up front. Does anyone with an EG H22 run the RMF 4-1 header? Let me know how it fits for you and if you have any pictures, they would be greatly appreciated. Also, how is your ground clearance? The RMF header sits as close to the oil pan as you can get, right? So isn't ground clearance maximized?

Thank you very much for your comments!

Modified by slim9300 at 1:52 AM 12/9/2005
Old 12-02-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: H22 EG w/ RMF Header clearance/fitment??? Better Recommendations??? (slim9300)

I have the RMF street 4-1 header but haven't got the time to install it yet. Maybe next weekend...
Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: H22 EG w/ RMF Header clearance/fitment??? Better Recommendations??? (xv53)

Thanks for the response. Keep me informed if you would.

Does anyone else have any experience / opinions?
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump also interested.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I highly doubt the two piece header will make a difference in horsepower. What type of flange do they use on there 2 piece header?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: (Boner_Ben)

I don't know. But I do think that the design is somewhat different between the two and one-piece headers. Regardless, I would hope that the two-piece doesn't use the gay style that Hotshot uses, where they slide together and then clamp. I really don't like design. But anyways, just ranting.

More opinions...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boner_Ben)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boner_Ben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I highly doubt the two piece header will make a difference in horsepower. What type of flange do they use on there 2 piece header? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know somebody with an EK H22 Street header (it's the two piece with a 3 bolt flange). I highly doubt it looses any power becasue it's two pieces.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (skunked)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know somebody with an EK H22 Street header (it's the two piece with a 3 bolt flange). I highly doubt it looses any power becasue it's two pieces.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info. I just figured that the two piece header might have a slightly different design, but maybe I am wrong. So would you suggest the RMF header, or do you have a better suggestion. Also, you don't have ay pictures of your buddies setup, do you?

Any more opinions...
Old 12-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slim9300)

Just to clarify, the portion of the header that came apart had a "slip joint" that made it two pieces. The 3 bolt flange was the part of the header that bolts to the existing exhaust. I can't find the pic right now but I'm sure Randy could provide a pic.

RMF, SMSP, Hytech and DTR are all good headers.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:35 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by skunked &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just to clarify, the portion of the header that came apart had a "slip joint" that made it two pieces. The 3 bolt flange was the part of the header that bolts to the existing exhaust. I can't find the pic right now but I'm sure Randy could provide a pic. RMF, SMSP, Hytech and DTR are all good headers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean a slip joint like the Hotshot header? If so, I really dislike this design. I have experienced far to many problems with this type of header. (i.e. unfixable exhaust leaks, the hassle of a long installation and removal due to a header that has been slightly tweaked by heat and daily use, etc.) Plus, my setup runs pretty hot in terms of heat coming through my firewall and into my cabin, so I planned on buying an unfinished header that way I could get it Jet Hot coated. And just for the record, I know that RMF uses a similar coating. So, I don't want to deal with the hassle that the coating will make in terms of the slip joint's fitment. Obviously, a three bolt style two-piece header would be the ideal choice if the one-piece RMF won't fit.

Anyways, it seems that if I could just ensure that the one piece header will fit without any real problems, then it would be my best bet.

BTW, when I talked to RMF on the phone about a three weeks ago they told me they didn't have a picture to e-mail me and that I could find one on H-T. Which after searching quite extensively, I realized it wasn't.

One last question for you Skunked... How's the H2B working out. Did you track or dyno the car with the new setup? I have heard good things, just looking for some actual users.

Any more opinions...
Old 12-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the slip is pretty nice, not your basic hot shot in anyway. I would personally run the header and not worry about that one bit. Also, the coating on his header is pretty nice and held up well on cars that I have seen.

PS-My H2B is not done yet. Feel free to PM me if you have any ?'s
Old 12-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Thanks man. I really appreciate your help. I will definately keep in touch in regards to the B2B setup.

And by the off chance that anyone else has had experience regarding my initial one-piece fitment question, please provide me and anyone else in my situation with your thoughts.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:05 AM

I just recieved my 3" flex pipe and flanges from Randy (RMF) and I have the RMF one peice street headers but mines is going into an EG not an EK. Its going on in a few days. Would you like some pics of it?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: (xv53)

I have an H22 EG. Skunked was referring to an EK that he knew of. But anyways, I would greatly appreciate any pictures you would have and any account of the fitment and ground clearance concerns I mentioned above. Thanks!

On a side note: Does your header have a 3'' outlet? Or are you just running a bigger flex pipe? And why, if this is the case?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked out the website for randy's headers? they have pictures of the h22 header on a civic.

http://importpowerhouse.com/cu...s.htm

how come you say that you have a integra in the first post...then say you have an eg in your last post? either way hope the pictures help
Old 12-07-2005, 10:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have an H22 EG. Skunked was referring to an EK that he knew of. But anyways, I would greatly appreciate any pictures you would have and any account of the fitment and ground clearance concerns I mentioned above. Thanks!

On a side note: Does your header have a 3'' outlet? Or are you just running a bigger flex pipe? And why, if this is the case? </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes it has a 3 inch collector.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: (dkim48)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dkim48 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked out the website for randy's headers? they have pictures of the h22 header on a civic.

http://importpowerhouse.com/cu...s.htm

how come you say that you have a integra in the first post...then say you have an eg in your last post? either way hope the pictures help </TD></TR></TABLE>

Functionally speaking, an Integra engine bay is exactly the same as an EG. Except for the core support being slightly different to accomidate the headlights, radiator, etc. So with an H22 swap you use the same mounts and have the same clearances front, back, top and bottom. That's why I was saying I have an EG, because I didn't want him to think that his setup wouldn't be helpful to me. Since he seemed to be confusing my setup with the EK. However, we cleared this up.

And to further answer your question. When I called Randy he told me that the one-piece header shown in the picture of the EG on his site, wouldn't fit on my setup. Hence, my reason for making this thread. And again, that is:

"I was pretty sure that I could fit the RMF 4-1 street header, being that it is a one-piece design. However, RMF says that I would need to buy their new two-piece design. (Which btw, they don't even have pictures of, not to mention I doubt it performs as well.) I have a 1995 Integra with a H22 swap and HCP mounts. I also have the PWR half radiator, and no A/C, so I have a considerable amount of room up front. Does anyone with an EG H22 running the RMF 4-1 header? Let me know how it fits for you and if you have any pictures, they would be greatly appreciated. Also, how is your ground clearance? The RMF header sits as close to the oil pan as you can get, right? So isn't ground clearance maximized?"

Modified by slim9300 at 1:50 AM 12/9/2005
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xv53 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes it has a 3 inch collector.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn! Either you have the most extreeme N/A H22 setup on earth or you are running FI. I mean, I ran 3'' when I was turboed I guess.

What do you have done to your motor that made you choose a 3'' exhaust? I assume you are running 3'' all the way back, too?

Modified by slim9300 at 1:51 AM 12/9/2005
Old 12-09-2005, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would get the two peice. There is very little front clearance to work with and unless the collector/downpipe of the rmf is very short (which I'm sure it's not) it won't fit.

I had to cut my ANR, (similar design, Randy used to work for them) to get it to fit properly.

You want the two piece. You need the two piece.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: (DarkKnight1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get the two peice. There is very little front clearance to work with and unless the collector/downpipe of the rmf is very short (which I'm sure it's not) it won't fit.

I had to cut my ANR, (similar design, Randy used to work for them) to get it to fit properly.

You want the two piece. You need the two piece.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. I figured that was the answer I was going to get. It's just funny how you said it. "You want the two piece. You need the two piece."

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Judging by your recent "For Sale" list, you are running the B2B setup. Is it finished and running?
Old 12-09-2005, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Damn! Either you have the most extreeme N/A H22 setup on earth or you are running FI. I mean, I ran 3'' when I was turboed I guess.

What do you have done to your motor that made you choose a 3'' exhaust? I assume you are running 3'' all the way back, too?

Modified by slim9300 at 1:51 AM 12/9/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

doesn't matter i run open header....
Old 12-09-2005, 04:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xv53 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doesn't matter i run open header....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then what's the point of the flex pipe?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slim9300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then what's the point of the flex pipe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

just incase i want to make it legal for some street class shootout, its mostly a track car, hardly drive it on the street, got a truck as a daily driver
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 PM

It's all coming together now. lol. Good luck man. If you could still send me those pictures and let me know what you had to do to get the one-piece to fit, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
RMF

Default Re: (DarkKnight1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DarkKnight1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get the two peice. There is very little front clearance to work with and unless the collector/downpipe of the rmf is very short (which I'm sure it's not) it won't fit.

I had to cut my ANR, (similar design, Randy used to work for them) .</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL No other way around.He worked for me.Here is some pics of the EG-EV header

And here is the prelude header

Quick Reply: H22 EG w/ RMF Header clearance/fitment??? Better Recommendations???