Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx

k guys, here's the deal...

i have an h22 in my 95 civic coupe.

hasport mounts
del sol dual core radiator
fal slim fan

when i try to mount the radiator fan, the bleeder valve-a-majigger hits the blades.

what have you guys done to make it clear? i don't want to modify the block at all, so it there a way yo buy a different valve or something?

please help.

right now, i have the fan wiring reversed so it pushes instead of pulls. fal says this isnt as efficient.

my step father is a mechanic and says the fan isn't cooling the radiator well enough so i should do something about it soon.

my friend with an h22 eg had a fal fan, he has the older hasports and currently has an autozone fan.

whats my deal? thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (j.fuggi)

Switch the clutch slave to the civic clutch slave. The bleader valve is on the side more than on the front like the prelude one. That should give you a little more clearance.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (JDMH22HATCH)

yea but doesn't the civic one mount to the block completely differently?
Old 06-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (j.fuggi)

if you're running anything larger than like a 12" fan, it's not going to clear the bleeder valve at all.

Mount the fan as far over to the passenger side of the radiator as you can, and it'll clear fine.

I have a stock fan still, but I'm 100% sure when I get my dual core, it's still not going to be an issue because of the way I have the fan itself mounted, and I have a relatively small compared to other peoples I've seen.

Cools just fine...a/c full blast, driving hard in stop/go traffic it's never gotten hot.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (hot_EH)

i have teh fal 12" slim fan made for the 92-00 civics.

if i mount it any more to the right, its not going to do much good for the radiator.

the bleeder actually goes into the fan between the guard plastic **** and hits the blade.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I know what you're talking about....maybe the SPAL fan is a lot bigger than my fan since it's a 'bolt in' fan or whatever..

Does it take up the whole radiator like the stock fan does?

Mine is literally just a gaurd around the blades, and then 4 small mounting tabs.

I could pull the fan straight back a few inches and still clear the valve
Old 06-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (hot_EH)

mine takes up the whole radiator.

what kind of fan do you have. i dont have spal, i have a fal. (flex-a-lite)

thanks for the help so far
Old 06-22-2003, 09:44 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted this up a week or so ago: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=528184

Basically explains what you need to do if you want to use a Civic slave cylinder (which will NOT bolt to the Prelude transmission unless you do some modifications to it - explained in my post on that thread).
Old 06-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 12" Hayden fan
Old 06-22-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the C&R racing aluminum radiator with the SPAL slim fan and it barely clears the Clutch bleeder valve. I had to actually break one of the plastic gaurds and kinda 'fit' it in, but never had problems with hitting the cooling blades.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (poison)

i'm mostly afraid that when the motor moves or jerks, its going to hit.

i might clear by like 1/4 to 1/2 inch but thats too close for comfort. its a $200 fan!
Old 06-22-2003, 01:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm mostly afraid that when the motor moves or jerks, its going to hit.

i might clear by like 1/4 to 1/2 inch but thats too close for comfort. its a $200 fan!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I can understand that. But you have drag HASport mounts. She shouldn't jerk the least bit.

I don't even have spring flanges hooked up from my header to the cat and no exhaust leaks
Old 06-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (poison)

so you're telling me, my motor will not move AT ALL? not even a half inch?!

praise hasport.

i might not need a flexpipe now for exhaust.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you're telling me, my motor will not move AT ALL? not even a half inch?!

praise hasport.

i might not need a flexpipe now for exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Properly mounted, nope. I've been rolling around with the fan the way it is, no spring flange from my header collector to my cat, and no broken bolts or exhaust leaks.

praise hasport
Old 06-22-2003, 02:53 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by j.fuggi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you're telling me, my motor will not move AT ALL? not even a half inch?!

i might not need a flexpipe now for exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same goes for with the HCP kit (I drove around one day w/out a hood when my CF hood was getting cleared) and the motor does not move since my slave cylinder at the time was really 1/4" from touching, but never made any marks on the fan shroud from racing (that's even after racing on the road course and a 100 shot on the track). I also had a Hotshot header welded to my exhaust piping and no flex pipe used.... never broke, no movement, no problems. As long as you get a good mount kit that keeps the motor in one place and has zero vibration, then you're set.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a push type rad. fan that goes in front of the radiator this will give you alot of clearance and make your bay look cleaner and roomier, check out Jegs or Summit
for this fans or go to your local junk yard and check out the older volvos or mercedez bens they have some good push type fans that are cheap.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: h22 civic radiator fan problem, hits slave cylinder bleeder.... help thx (Qfactor)

well i have the latest hasport mounts.

i have the fal fan wored as a push and have it in front of the radiator, but if its true that it wotn move, i'll switch it.

does anyone know where i can get the aluminum mount things? i think i lost mine
Old 06-23-2003, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen them at Pep Boys under the race-type stuff (header flanges, carb spacers, heavy duty oil pans)..I don't know what the section is exactly called

Summit would for sure have them.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they would have the exact FAL aluminum mounts?

they are specifically designed for that radiator and fan.

i hope so