Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

h22 civic people- Hasport VS HCP

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 09:44 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default h22 civic people- Hasport VS HCP

just curious what mount kit you would use and why, im about to order just wanted to get some opinions
Old 08-14-2002, 10:38 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: h22 civic people- Hasport VS HCP (B16aVtecCivic)

I personally like the idea & security of NOT having to hack off the passenger side frame rail mount with the HCP kit, but rather using it. With Place & HASport's kit, you need to hack it off and bolt the passenger side mount on from underneath..... it may be secure to hold the H22, but I have my doubts (IMO)..... plus I like the black/black combo of the HCP kit rather than the bright silver/tomato colors, but again my choice/opinion. Otherwise, motor placement is somewhat similar and the axles combo are the same. I'm using the HCP kit, sell it, and have done swaps with it.

Go with whatever you feel you're most comfortable using.

Old 08-14-2002, 04:20 PM
New User

Default Re: h22 civic people- Hasport VS HCP (Newman)

so you dont have to cut the passanger mount with the hcp kit? though you did on all kits for the shift linkage to work or else it wont go in gear ???
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used the HCP kit, and the only thing I can say that sucks is the using the Stock OEM driver side mount.(for the Ek only) When I first got my car running I took it out and managed to break that OEM oil filled mount to peices. I have since replaced it with one of the Placeracing ones.

I bought my stuff from Newman......Its a good kit and A/C is a <U>must</U>

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 2:40 AM 8/15/2002]

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 2:43 AM 8/15/2002]
Old 08-14-2002, 10:44 PM
New User

anyone else?
Old 08-14-2002, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm personally going with the HCP kit.

For a few reasons:

Placement of the engine farther towards the firewall for easy access to the a/c system or boost in the future.

A/C bracket now available (I've heard that it works with the Hasport kit, and that Hasport is also making their own bracket due out next summer...but HCP mounts, HCP bracket..I'd like to keep it all one brand)

The ability to have a 'bolt in' (relatively) kit in which I can return it to stock if wanted.

Price. Hasport is pretty expensive compared to the HCP kit.

Recommendations by the fellow people here at H-T.

The Hasport kit is nice....But i honestly don't see what warrents spending the extra money.

If you've got Hasport, great. If you're planning on getting, great. It's a great kit....but I'm going HCP.
Old 08-15-2002, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine placement

The reason behind the difference in engine placemant between HCP and HASport.

The driving factor in the HCP placement is the "bolt-in aspect". With the HASport kit it was engine orientation.

If you place the H22 engine in the 92-95 Civic as high as you can for maximum ground clearance, as far back as you can for axle alignment and accessory clearance, and with the same orientation as it sits in the Prelude for optimum lubrication pick-up in both the trans and engine as designed by Honda, you have to remove the right-hand bracket from the framerail for shifter mechanism clearance.

HCP most likely thought, if we move the engine towards the driverside, stand the engine more upright, and put a big notch in the sheetmetal of the right-hand bracket we can make this a bolt in kit.

At Hasport we decided these factors, powersteering, proper oil pickup and increased ground clearance outweighed the convenience of using the right-hand framerail bracket.

Both companies weighed the pros and cons and came up with different solutions. It is up to the consumer to make his or her choice.

brian g
Old 08-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Engine placement (brian g)

HA Sport is the best otherwise you will run into problems with axles and many other things that hinder h22 civics from being good daily drivers.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:24 AM

Default Re: Engine placement (Elite Hatch)

i use hcp's kit in my daily driver h22 ek and i never have a problem

HCP=
Old 08-15-2002, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Engine placement (H22EK)

on a eg with hcp mounts do you have to use any stock mounts from (prelude or civic)
Old 08-15-2002, 02:48 PM
New User

Default Re: Engine placement (todds94teg)

on a eg with hcp mounts do you have to use any stock mounts from (prelude or civic)
With the HCP EG mounts, all you need is the rear 92-96 Prelude 5-spd tranny bracket. The rear mount bolts to the rear sub-crossmember, and the driver's side and passenger side HCP mounts bolt to your existing Civic chassis mount locations.

FYI... I hope this thread doesn't turn into a "get this cause it's better" or "screw abc, go with xyz" postings, but rather just informational posts.

Old 08-15-2002, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Engine placement (Newman)

On an eg you have to hack the passenger side mount when using the HCP kit so the tranny can go into 5th and reverse if u don't 5th and reverse won't go in. I'm not sure about the other kits though. Does anyone have pics of there installs and of the passenger side mount of hasport and placeracing in an eg. I alraedy saw pics of the HCP kit and didn't like it that much due the the fact I would have to get the whole bracket replaced if I ever have to go b series or d series for some reason. It is hard to find pics of detailed installs. I'm surprised this swap isn't written up as a faq somewhere with pics yet!! The HCP ac bracket is a plus though!!!!

[Modified by h22eg, 1:52 AM 8/16/2002]

[Modified by h22eg, 1:52 AM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine placement (h22eg)

It needs to be totally removed with both the Hasport and Place kits.

brian g

Nueman, I agree.

[Modified by brian g, 5:41 AM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-15-2002, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Engine placement (brian g)

HCP!!! only cut about 2 inches from the passenger motor mount plus it gives an extra 2 - 3 inches from hasport for header clearance
Old 08-16-2002, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine placement (SleepinAround)

Can someone post engine bay pictures from both HCP and Hasport mount kits? EG or EK. TIA!
Old 08-16-2002, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine placement (Monk BPI)

the big question......(for me anyways).....is p/s possible w/ HCP's kit?
Old 08-16-2002, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine placement (B20_2ner)

Can someone post engine bay pictures from both HCP and Hasport mount kits? EG or EK. TIA!
HCP kit.
http://www.geocities.com/whiterabbit...s/EK_pics.html

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 7:03 PM 8/16/2002]

[Modified by SlvrEj6Dx, 7:05 PM 8/16/2002]
Old 08-16-2002, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Engine placement (SlvrEj6Dx)

My oppinions. I think HCP is good as I have never seen a H22 Hasport kit up close to compare. The ones I received seemed of good quality and manwork. The directions could use some adjustments or illustrations but its all good.

You do have to cut the tranny bracket in order to make room for the shifter assembly, however the engine (at least mines) sits less closer to the driver side shock tower and closer to the firewall giving a nice angle to the axles.. Overall I am satisfied with the setup with no real complaints..

If you guys want I can take some pictures later on when I reach home and post them for..
Old 08-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine placement (Jason kiDD)

Post some pics Jason

Kinda OT, but I'm still curious about this....

Is it possible to replace the master cylinder/brake booster with the EG HCP kit while the engine is in place? Or does it interfere?

Just curious because it looks pretty tight from all the pictures I've seen.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Engine placement (hot_EG)

Yeah there is plenty of room to change all of that stuff. Gonna take some pics once I get back from the barber then post them up. Stay tuned..
Old 08-16-2002, 11:29 PM
New User

Default Re: Engine placement (Jason kiDD)

how well does the stock shifter cover thing fit back over the lude/accord shifter assembly?
Old 08-17-2002, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine placement (B16aVtecCivic)

how well does the stock shifter cover thing fit back over the lude/accord shifter assembly?
that's what I want to know
Old 08-17-2002, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine placement (B16aVtecCivic)

92-95 stock center consoles don't fit over it. From seeing a 99-00 si/ex center console, they look like they fit just fine for 'stock' looking interior which is what I want to know as well.

I tried putting my center console on the prelude shifter and it doesn't quite up, the shifter is just a bit too wide.

the 99-00 si/ex center console does fit in EG/EJ's and looks nice
Old 08-17-2002, 11:56 AM
New User

Default Re: Engine placement (poison)

To answer some questions.....

http://www.JDMshit.com/h22a-clearance &lt;-- Some old picts but still a good reference of the HCP kit.

the big question......(for me anyways).....is p/s possible w/ HCP's kit?
You can use it, but you're going to have to do some cutting in order to make it fit. Will it fit w/out any modification with the HCP kit? No, but IMO, it's not needed with a H-series swap in a Civic.

Is it possible to replace the master cylinder/brake booster with the EG HCP kit while the engine is in place? Or does it interfere?
Yes, because we've done it already to my car while the motor was still in. FYI, you can still use a MC brace because it still fits in there (even though it looks like a tight fit).

92-95 stock center consoles don't fit over it. From seeing a 99-00 si/ex center console, they look like they fit just fine for 'stock' looking interior which is what I want to know as well.
I'm using the stock 92-95 Civic console and shifter cover and it fits fine. The only clearance issue that you may run into is the side clearances with the shifter assembly so I'm using an extra screw on each side to hold it in place. But otherwise, it's on my car, covering up the bracket and cables. On a 96+ Civic, the center console and shifter cover also fit, but the bottom of the cup holder needs to be trimmed a little bit or it'll rub against the cables.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Engine placement (Newman)

i used the hcp kit with the front brace on my ek very good. fitmint was excellent. i have since sold it and in the next car it went into it also fit good. The only issue i had was it didn't tell you the right axle combo but i figured it out it;s the same as the hasport kit.

jesse

Quick Reply: h22 civic people- Hasport VS HCP