Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22 civic disater possibly....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22 civic disater possibly....

my h22 civic keeps on leaking oil, quite a bit. So I changed the oil pan gasket, still leaked tried it again still leaked. Now I am starting to think the crankshaft seal might have gone because it seems it is only leaking by the tranni/flywheel shield... but it still COULD hopefully be the oil pan gasket, but my question is how hard do you think it will be to change the crankshaft seal or how much will someone charge to do it, thanks... really hope it's not the crankshaft seal...
Old 07-04-2003, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H22 civic disater possibly.... (jdmcivicferio)

Remember gravity sucks. Do you see any oil above the oil pan gasket? Take the clutch cover off and see if you can see oil coming from the crank seal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcivicferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how hard do you think it will be to change the crankshaft seal or how much will someone charge to do it, thanks... really hope it's not the crankshaft seal...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is harder than B-series (of course), but not that hard. Take the axles out, then all the stuff that is connected to the trans (slave cylinder, starter, etc.) then support the motor with a jack and a piece of wood on the oil pan. Pull the mounts out (rear and top trans mounts). Slide the trans out (use the jack by lower the engine to give you room to play with), Pull the pressure plate and clutch off. then take the flywheel off and there is the crank seal. take a flat-head screwdriver and wedge it in the outer part of the seal, then bend the seal and pry it out. then put the new seal in and lightly tap it in with a hammer, then reinstall everything and torque everything to spec.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:21 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: H22 civic disater possibly.... (jdmcivicferio)

Yup, sounds like the main seals (both front & rear main seals). They're cheap $2-$4 parts from Honda and is always good to change out on any motor before dropping it into your car (same with belts and pumps, as needed). Only shitty thing is (if your motor is already in your car) that you need to remove the clutch & flywheel to change one seal, and remove the crank pulley and covers to replace the other.

BTW, don't over tighten your oil pan gasket or it WILL leak out through there. I let my co-worker put my oil pan onto my LS motor when I was doing my turbo setup (I got lazy and didn't want to crawl under there... that was my fault there letting someone else do it), and it leaked out of there.... slowly but still leaks.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 civic disater possibly.... (Newman)

Really doesn't sound to difficult to do for the relatively mechanically enclined.

Here's what sucks:

$2-$4 part.
$300-$500 labor.

Hint: DIY if you can.