Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GSR vs. H22 type S swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSR vs. H22 type S swap

I'm going to be swapping out my D16y8 (low comp) soon and I want to find out the pros and cons about the 2 motors i'm thinking about putting in...

I have been quoted $4000.00 for the GSR w/LSD installed
and $3600.00 for the h22 type S also w/LSD installed

Now aside from the price what are the differences?
any advice would be great thanks guys
Old 07-24-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aside from the obvious displacement difference?

i'd guess the GSR would have more aftermarket backing making it easier to get parts for. also i think its easier to keep A/C w/ a GSR than an h22.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 AM

I don't believe you can keep AC or power steering with the H22. And you need aftermarket mounts.

Gsr would be a more straight forward swap But the torque on the H22 would make Daily driving nicer
Old 07-24-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (bsixteen)

well if you did the H22 you would deffinetly be smiling more in the straight line(goodbye evo's), but forget about your track use with such a front heavy car(i think the h-series is like 100lbs heavier than a b18c1). Your car would be more of an "all around" car with the b series. BUT its all about whatever YOU are trying to have.

both are good motors with a great availability of parts, but like i said, its all about what YOU'RE looking for in the performance of a car.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (APCforthewin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APCforthewin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you did the H22 you would deffinetly be smiling more in the straight line(goodbye evo's), but forget about your track use with such a front heavy car(i think the h-series is like 100lbs heavier than a b18c1). Your car would be more of an "all around" car with the b series. BUT its all about whatever YOU are trying to have.

both are good motors with a great availability of parts, but like i said, its all about what YOU'RE looking for in the performance of a car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Your totaly wrong on that point my friend. Its more like 50 lbs heavier than b18c1 and 100lb heavier than a d-series. And that can be easily corrected for with custom spring rates from ground control. http://www.groundcontrol.com
Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JeffBro)

me personally i'd go for the h22...i miss my preludes torque, no gsr ive ever rode in ever came close to the feeling of the h22
Old 07-24-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go with the H22 if you can custom fabricate....

See, the H22's got tons of torque (more than the GSR) because of it's stock 2.2L displacement, also, it costs less, parts are less for it (just buy prelude stock parts O.o), not to mention, it's got hella more hp

two thumbs up for the H22 (:: :

the GSR is also a nice package, but I rather have the H22 - that's just me..it's all opinion, I like it b/c it's got more power, more torque, and parts are just a cheap as the GSR...

Not to mention it's cheaper as a crate motor...

the GSR puts down what, 165 whp? How much does the H22 put down? I think it's close to 190 whp completely stock, also with the greater displacement of the H22, it'll react better to bolt ons (the same aftermarekt exhaust will give you a better power gain on teh H22 oppose to the GSR)

Only con I really see in the H22 is that it has to be custom fabricated...which I have no problem doing....couple hours in the shop (if that?) with a welding torch, cutting wheel, Drill/Large bits and vice..

Although I was thinking the other day...maybe it's not as easy to fabricate as I thought it'd be...because aren't the mounts like polyeurothane and ****? I dunno how that'd react to the metal I might have to weld on there... I don't think I've ever delt with polyeurothane... BUt in any events, if u can do the custom mounts, GOGOGOGO h22

Also, I hear some **** about the H2b, I think that's when u connect a B series tranny to the H22 motor, supposdly u can run fast times w/ that...I hear nothing but good things about it...

Next summer I'm either going to go D-series turbo w/ arond 250whp, or H2B with an altered final gear (like an EX 5th gear if that's possible...) this way I can have all the torque I want from the B series, and if I wanna go on the highway and cruise, with the long *** 5th gear, I'll be able to do so in low/mid RPM's

Old 07-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

its not hard to drop a h22 into any chassis very little fabrication is needed, all you really need is a grinder depending on what mounts you use its not hard, i have done 3 h22 swaps 1 into a 98 civic coupe and 2 into eg's they were hard but well worth it in the end
Old 07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beaneg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beaneg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not hard to drop a h22 into any chassis very little fabrication is needed, all you really need is a grinder depending on what mounts you use its not hard, i have done 3 h22 swaps 1 into a 98 civic coupe and 2 into eg's they were hard but well worth it in the end</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word?

I never did an H22 swap so I dunno how I'd have to change the mounts so they'd fit, I"d have to actually see them and see what needs to be done, y'kno?

But if u only need to make them smaller then I wouldn't have to wory about additional welding onto the polyeurothane :-\ or non-metal like mounts
Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Savage211)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APCforthewin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you did the H22 you would deffinetly be smiling more in the straight line(goodbye evo's), but forget about your track use with such a front heavy car(i think the h-series is like 100lbs heavier than a b18c1). Your car would be more of an "all around" car with the b series. BUT its all about whatever YOU are trying to have.

both are good motors with a great availability of parts, but like i said, its all about what YOU'RE looking for in the performance of a car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You really shouldnt be giving out advice. You are giving out terrible and incorrect information. An h22 swap weighs 30lbs more than a type R swap. 2nd- how would an h22 civic beat evos? an h22 civic would run high 13s to low 14s. 3rd- How is the gsr better for an " all around " car? The h22 would be better for drag racing, and has tons of torque for coming out of turns on a circuit track, not to mention daily driving with that nice mid-lowend torque. The H and GSR have identical redlines, both have LSDs, the H costs less. I really dont see your reasoning for any of your statements. Do you have any experience with anything you are giving advice on?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: (JakeIsCool)

go with h22, trust me you won't regret it
Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 AM

seriously

why make a thread like this?

use your gradumated brizain and search this topic

yes the h22 barely outweigh a B series swap
yes there are mount kits available for basically any chassis now which make it really easy to swap

i think everyone can agree the h22 is much more fun...stock for stock

but...obviosly there's a difficulty there with doing the swap otherwise everyone including myself would have one..

only thing that scares me is the wiring, and mounting the shiftcables...but i'm sure this is even easy...i've just never done it...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: (B18C EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but...obviosly there's a difficulty there with doing the swap otherwise everyone including myself would have one..

only thing that scares me is the wiring, and mounting the shiftcables...but i'm sure this is even easy...i've just never done it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope, not really, and the h2b nixes the shift cables altogether
Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

I couldnt imagine an h22 with a b16 trans.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JakeIsCool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I couldnt imagine an h22 with a b16 trans.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why not?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

i was assuming this guy was gonna use the H trans..

also i was under the impression the H2B was really only for drag racing..

i called quartersports and asked for a kit...they asked what i would be doing with it...and i said Streetcar/DD/Take it to the track once in a while...and they said they couldn't really sell it to me b/c of a liability issue i guess?? i dono weird stuff...doesn't really matter cause there was like a 6 month wait for it...and i wasn't gonna do that anyway...but this is something to keep in mind..
Old 07-24-2006, 11:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and they said they couldn't really sell it to me b/c of a liability issue i guess?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

huh, that's odd
Old 07-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously

why make a thread like this?

use your gradumated brizain and search this topic

yes the h22 barely outweigh a B series swap
yes there are mount kits available for basically any chassis now which make it really easy to swap

only thing that scares me is the wiring, and mounting the shiftcables...but i'm sure this is even easy...i've just never done it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

true weight is a ery minmal factor in his decision and as far as the wiring and shifter cables, thats simple soder and mount!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:54 AM

I would very much like to go with the H22 BUT i'm also in no rush to give up my P/S or the A/C so is it really impossible to keep them on the H? cuz if so I'll be going with the GSR.

And by the way I did and have been doing research on this for 2 weeks now and I was more or less looking to see what people think and why they went with the swap they did.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StevenSOHCVtec)

as far as p/s and a/c i would think they are easier to retain in the gsr but i have seen a h22 turbo eg hatch w/ a/c that blew cold!!!! as for me i have a h22 eg hatch wothout ac i dont mind its california man roll urr window down!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (beaneg6)

lol Windows down in 100+ temps in the great stop and stop LA traffic just does not work for me lol
Old 07-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (APCforthewin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by APCforthewin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">forget about your track use with such a front heavy car</TD></TR></TABLE>

get the **** out of here.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Shooting Star

hcp makes mounts to keep the ac as well, i will never own a honda with a swap with p/s again, its a really nice setup without p/s...i have lots of parts for an h22 as well. pm me if interested.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GSR vs. H22 type S swap (StevenSOHCVtec)

HCP mounts, a/c bracket and 97+ prelude P/S pump. you'll have it all.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:08 PM

Default Re: GSR vs. H22 type S swap (H23 Power)

ppl are stupid with the weight issue its like paying a nickel for a dime it ways a little more but the power you gain ive driven a gsr swap and there fast and all but my h22 theres nothing like it no matter what gear im in i have power 20 mph in 5th and i drive fine no bucking the gsr is alot easier to install but if your having a shop do it go h22 just make sure you buy goood mounts and axles

Quick Reply: GSR vs. H22 type S swap